• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fossil Pokemon Discussion

Years
  • For me, the fossil Pokemon have always been some of my favourites, especially Kabutops and Aerodactyl, despite being hard to train. I was just wondering what everyone elses thoughts on fossil Pokemon are. What is your favourite? Do you hate any or all of them? What kind of fossil Pokemon would you like to see in the future? Also, why do you think they didn't add any fossil Pokemon in Gen II? And what kind of magic/science do you think they use to revive fossil pokemon???

Bonus point if you can name all the fossils, the pokemon revived from them, and their evolutions. (No cheating!)

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    Actually, I like all of the fossil pokemon. Speaking of Fossils, I'm doing a playthrough of FireRed and LeafGreen, and can't decide which fossil for which game. Sorry if this is off topic, but I plan on getting the Helix Fossil on one game, and the Dome Fossil on the other. I reccomend you answer this question with a visitor message.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't know the reason behind the great lack of fossil Pokémon in Johto, or how the restoration process works...

Last edited:
    Years
  • Fossil Pokemon are awesome, I like every single one of them and find them useful. In FR/LG I've usually went with Kabuto and in R/S/E I went with Anorith.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I really like Omastar, Archeops and Rampardos, since they're strong Rock-types - especially Archeops, as it's one of the fastest Rock-types (2nd to Aerodactyl, I tend to not count Arceus)...they're also super powerful, as Rampardos has the 2nd highest Attack stat, 2nd to Black Kyurem.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Honestly, I like all the Fossil Pokémon in terms of design, but if I had to choose one favorite from each region, it'd be Kabuto/Kabutops, Anorith/Armaldo, Cranidos/Rampardos and Archen/Archeops.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
  • Gen II was meant to be a sequel, more of an expansion, to the first, and be the final generation of Pokemon. Which is why there were only 100 new Pokemon introduced, 18 of which being apart of a Gen I evolution line. There were already five fossil Pokemon (Aerodactyl, Kabuto, Kabutops, Omanyte, Omastar), so no more were necesarry. That's why I don't think anymore were introduced.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Oh, fossil PKMNs were cool, such as Aerodactyl, Kabuto...etc. Rampardos was my fa, and i rly liked the idea of having pre-historic PKMNs and turn fossils into PKMNs thats just awesome!

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • The fossils were Awesome addition to the the game, I loved the reviving process to get the fossil pokemon. My favorite fossil pokemon are Aerodactlyl,Craydily and Omastar.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2013
    I've been a huge fan of fossil Pokémon since they were first introduced via Kabuto, Omanyte and Aerodactyl.

However, I feel like GameFreak really dropped the ball on Cranidos and Shieldon. They had stuck to simple lifeforms, and the sudden change to dinosaur-based fossils made them feel out of place imo.

I'm also sad that Archen and Tirtouga are based on non-extinct animal families, since… well, there's SO much material that they just haven't touched upon…

Pillodox

Ruff
    Years
  • Thinking about adding some fossil Pokémon to my SoulSilver team after I beat the E4 (I recently started a new file on it).

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    My favorite is Aerodactyl. Not only a nice physical sweeper, it is also a good leader, and sometimes a suicide leader (with Stealth Rock).

Years
  • A question I've always wondered about Fossil Pokemon is this; By the very nature of being fossils, they are supposedly extinct....yet they're apart of the National Pokedex. While I understand that the whole point of the Pokedex is to chronical ALL Pokemon, why are they placed in front of some who aren't extinct?

Better yet, not all fossils contain fossilized DNA, most actually consist of just an imprint left in mud. Surely there are many other species of Pokemon that have yet to have a useful specimen found, so why aren't they included? After all, the Pokedex does count Pokemon that are supposedly myths.

Years
  • lmcde22 said:
    Bonus point if you can name all the fossils, the pokemon revived from them, and their evolutions. (No cheating!)
    I was going to take you up on that, but realized I was missing one, even though I knew the Pokemon that came from it (turned out to be the Armor Fossil).

I actually never used the fossil Pokemon all that much, aside from Kabutops for a little bit, and Archeops on my White team. I'm not a big fan of the fact that all of them are part Rock type, but I guess it does make sense if they'd been fossilized for millions of years.

Back