• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon X & Y - 1.7 Gigabytes!

blue

gucci
Years
According to some reports, Pokémon X and Y will have an approximate size of 1.7 GB each (14,000 blocks) which is a staggering increase on any of the previous Pokémon games.

The largest cartridge size for a Pokémon game prior to X and Y was 512MB with Black 2 & White 2 which is a third of the size of X and Y.
A large chunk of this data is due to the 3D transition and the 3D Models obviously, however it is still much larger than anticipated. Do you think this is down to there being much more extra content during and post-game, or do you just think it is primarily down to the 3D models taking up the majority of the space? Discuss.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
According to some reports, Pokémon X and Y will have an approximate size of 1.7 GB each (14,000 blocks) which is a staggering increase on any of the previous Pokémon games.

The largest cartridge size for a Pokémon game prior to X and Y was 512MB with Black 2 & White 2 which is a third of the size of X and Y.
A large chunk of this data is due to the 3D transition and the 3D Models obviously, however it is still much larger than anticipated. Do you think this is down to there being much more extra content during and post-game, or do you just think it is primarily down to the 3D models taking up the majority of the space? Discuss.

Most likely its just because of the graphics. Images can eat up a lot of data space and the higher the quality the more space is eaten. So I think a large portion of that is just in visuals, the world, items, Pokemon, humans, animations and backdrops. There is a lot of different visuals that they'd have in the games. We have battle start animations which probably eat up a good chunk then we have to take in form change animations when looking at general battle animations and attack animations.

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
It has a lot of content or It has a lot to code to make the images do things and move.

Years
It's not much of a surprise. Though the quality of graphics are low for a late 2013 game, 1.7 GB is nothing compared to many of the games out today which can exceed over 10 GB, though to be fair 3DS is a handheld and for a 3DS 1.7 GB is a lot.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
1.7 GB? That is quite a lot even for a 3DS game.

Maybe it's a large size because it's not just the models turning 3D, but also the size of the models (especially the characters) are much bigger than those in the 2D games. Maybe there's also a larger color palette as well?

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
as said before its due to graphics taking up alot of space, the more details in the graphics the more space is taken, though some of memory used up will to from the bonus content, but most of it is due the 3ds graphics

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
I think it's the graphics and the 3D models but I hope that the Kalos region contains more content than B/W, B2/W2 or any other Pokemon Game for that matter.

Years
Like what most people said, it's mainly the full 3D graphics and the fact 3D models are now being used instead of simple sprites is the reason why the game's taking up so much space. Although I am hoping it has loads of content too since Kalos is looking to be an awesome region.

It's more likely I'd be getting the physical copies though so that won't be much of an issue for me.

aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2014
It's the 5th largest 3DS game announced so there definitely is no slouch in content even with the models and the graphics. It's almost the size of Monster Hunter.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
It's understandable since it uses 3D graphics. Though I'm not sure if most 3DS games, like Kid Icarus or Ocarina of Time 3D, are around that same size or not. Hopefully though, like everyone above has said, I hope there's a lot of content too if the game is that large.

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
Years
1.7 GBs/14,000 blocks, that's a lot! I only have a little less than 13,000 blocks left on my SD card so I am most likely going to buy it at Gamestop (unless I buy a SD card with more space in it). Now to decide if I want X or Y...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
1.7 GBs/14,000 blocks, that's a lot! I only have a little less than 13,000 blocks left on my SD card so I am most likely going to buy it at Gamestop (unless I buy a SD card with more space in it). Now to decide if I want X or Y...

That's how much the download is. If you get the game it won't effect your SD card at all. If you are downloading it straight to your SD card then you'll have to worry about getting a new SD card to fit all the data. But if you are getting the actual physical game, then you don't have anything to worry about as none of it will touch anything on your 3DS system.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
I swapped out my SD card a loooong time ago when Fire Emblem Awakening came out. So...I could eShop if it I wanted. I'm thinking about getting one physical copy and one eShop...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I will be getting the physical copy. I must say though that the amount of data on the card is a lot...proably due to everything everyone has said so far and Kalos being a big region by the looks of it.

OranBerry

Novice trainer
Years
Honestly 1.7 GB isn't that much of a surprise to me. While it is rather large compared to other Pokemon and 3DS games it fits fine in the standard 2 GB cartridge. I mean its no Resident Evil revelations where they had to make an expanded four GB cartridge for it to fit.

tnfsf11

1.7 GB? That is quite a lot even for a 3DS game.

Maybe it's a large size because it's not just the models turning 3D, but also the size of the models (especially the characters) are much bigger than those in the 2D games. Maybe there's also a larger color palette as well?
I doubt that they're using color palettes anymore, the 3DS is an advanced system that can have 3D models, & every model contains many many colors to even have a palette...
A palette would only limit the number of colors displayed so the models wouldn't look as clean & sharp as they looked in the trailers, just imo btw...

Back to topic
1.7 GB did surprise me a bit, I heard most 3DS games are between 125 MBs & 1 GB, but nearly 2 GBs is huge. But that gives me high hopes that the game will be rich in both graphics & content. :)

Last edited:

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
Oh wow. I was expecting a substantial increase, but I didn't imagine it'd be triple the size. I was thinking around 1.2 or 1.3GB. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the new visuals and animations. I wonder if we'll have more "cutscenes" similar to the Rayquaza scene in Emerald. That'd be pretty awesome ^.^

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Hard to believe that Pokémon started out at 1 MB, and now it's at 1.7 GB. Amyways, Kalos does look pretty large. From what I've saw from screenshots, the towns and cities are very detailed, so that will add to the size. Pokémon-Amie could be taking up a decent portion as well, along with the 730 fully animated 3D models (that's not even including any Gen. 6 Pokémon) and hundreds of attacks.

Back