• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you guys feel about "Mega" Evolution?

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2014
It seems a little lame to me, but I like it as an opportunity to give weaker pokeomn or pokemon that dont evolve a second chance to become viable!
How do you guys feel about this mega evolution stuff?

Years
I think is a good idea, like a boost for pokémon that need more power but can't evolve, but giving a boost to freaking Mewtwo?!? That s**t will be invincible!!!

What's next? Mega-Arceus?!?

Miles Hikari

Scientist of Chaos
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2013
I'm warming up to the idea. It adds more depth to battle strategy having to choose between Mega Evolutions or other hold items like Leftovers or berries, and god knows it well make for an interesting Nuzlocke plot point somewhere. I say let's go for it. It's a new risk that shakes things up quite a bit, and I like that.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I'm not really sure how to feel about it. Of course I'm going to try it out before I'm dead set against it, but I feel like it's very Digimon-y. I'm just gonna wait and see though.

One thing that's made me think about it though - surely that means Mareep, Absol, Riolu and maybe Mawile are also available in game ? :)

Years
I'm kind of on the fence about Mega Evolution, as it gives some Pokemon like Absol and Mawile an evolution that they deserve (and Lucario a 3rd family member), but I don't see what would've been so bad with just making them regular evolutions. Then Pokemon like Ampharos and Blaziken who already are the third evolution in the family, go ahead an evolve once more, though they really didn't need it. And as for Mewtwo, I would've been perfectly fine with Mega Mewtwo being another form like so many other legendaries have now, rather than being only the second legendary to evolve.

So all in all, I've got to say I'm a little disappointed about these Mega Evolutions, but maybe they'll grow on me as we get closer to X/Y actually being released. And I hope that these aren't the only 6 Pokemon that get this special treatment, as there are quite a few others I can think of that probably deserved a Mega Evolution before those like Blaziken and Ampharos.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
I'm just glad the forms are temporary during battle only. I think it'll be good, especially in competitive play. I think a lot of the Pokemon that are in UU or NU tiers will be bumped up because of the stat boosts and abilities in their mega forms.

Years
I think it has a lot of potential. I think that the evolutions will take some time for me to warm up to, but that's pretty typical for me - it takes a couple of months to get used to new Pokemon. It could make battles a lot more interesting, and I'm also looking forward to seeing it on the anime. Also, it could spawn some pretty awesome trading cards!

Years
I'm just glad the forms are temporary during battle only. I think it'll be good, especially in competitive play. I think a lot of the Pokemon that are in UU or NU tiers will be bumped up because of the stat boosts and abilities in their mega forms.
Glad to hear that they're only temporary changes, as the way it had been made out to me was that it was just like any other evolution (then again, I haven't been following X/Y news that much). I think that makes it a little easier to like then, but I still hope we aren't limited to just those 6 Pokemon.

Sirfetch’d

I like the mega evolutions a lot and as a competitive battler I am excited to see what change they bring to the competitive scene. The question is will their stat increase be enough to make up for a loss of held item.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Remember that series AFTER DragonBall Z what ever it was called, well that is what I think Mega evolutions will be

Years
I'm not really that excited, if the power creep becomes too much, it'll ruin the rest of the game, though I could just be paranoid.

J-pop princess

Novice rom hacker
Years
I feel it is a little weird I mean mawile will become a major wall breaker. Mawile?! That just does not seem right to me and I hope in competitive they start a new tier for mega pokemon like a Mega tier for mega pokemon only because these things will break ubers I think.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'll put it this way - by introducing the Fairy type, Game Freak was already retconning some canon in Pokemon typings. So in doing this and adding more forms for a bunch of old Pokemon, there's not much different in the general idea in that idea. And I'm okay with more of this. I didn't feel we 'needed' a new type for instance (I feel balancing the typings could have been done in other ways), but a new typing does offer more possibilities. And so does this.

If they're going to implement new stuff to keep the system evolving instead of risking it becoming stagnant, then at least they're not being half hearted about it!

Ampharos' Mega form is also in line with the whole Beauty theme they're going for with the Kalos region, as well as a bunch of the 6th gen Pokemon.

Also! In terms of balance, I'm not too worried about it. It requires the sacrifice of a hold item, for one, it may come with stat losses too for all we know, and a user (myriad on sppf) pointed out the following:
Has this been proven true? I really hope so!
Yes, it's listed on the Japanese official site.
メガシンカをしたポケモンは、バトルが終了すると元に戻るが、バトル中に元に戻ることはない。また、一度のバトルでメガシンカできるポケモンは、1匹のみ。
"Pokemon which have undergone Mega Evolution return to their normal form when the battle ends, however they cannot return to their normal form during battle. Also, only one Pokemon may undergo Mega Evolution per battle."

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
Honestly, without much of an understanding about it, I don't know how broken it will be, if it is at all. The concept sounds intriguing, but I can't have an opinion without any gameplay from myself.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
What's next? Mega-Arceus?!?
YES, YES, YES! :D Let's have totally broken Pokemon! xD

rather than being only the second legendary to evolve.
Huh? Which legendary evolves?

Anyways, I'm not worried... as some evolutions won't be available...

Proof: 0:40

This Mega Stone is not available during normal gameplay.

That could mean that only few selected mega stones will be available.

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
I like them. It's an interesting concept. Mawile looks BEAST as a Mega. By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Mega Pokemon will play some role in the storyline? If you look closely when Mewtwo transforms, there's this DNA-like symbol that's in the Japanese logos for X and Y. I think they just made a big reveal, to be honest.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I wasn't all for it at first, but I'm really starting to warm up to the idea. I'm not a competitive player so I could careless how it affects the metagame or whatever, but it doesn't seem like that bad of a concept. I didn't like it at first cause I thought it was another evolution and it would be permanent. But now that I now it's temporary and that it's only an option, it doesn't seem so bad. I'm digging most of the retyping especially Ampharos's Mega being Electric/Dragon I've always wanted Ampharos to be retyped that way. And I like most of the designs of the mega we've seen so far, especially Mawile's and Ampharos's. Plus the way they change from normal to Mega looks really cool in the games.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I. Am. PSYCHED.

Ampharos and Blaziken as Mega forms look so incredibly awesome. I'm a bit disappointed that the Mega forms are only temporary during battle, haha, but at the same time relieved. It would have been a bit weird otherwise, to give Blaziken another evolution.

I don't care if it's similar to Digimon in any way. It's not really the same, still. And I think I've stopped becoming surprised over new things they add to the pokémon franchise now. Soon I'll even stop being skeptic. I'm for the Mega forms, because anything that adds such cool designs is great in my eyes.

Still, I think new pre-evolutions would have been better and I still hope they will make some.

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
I'd have to disagree with Red. I think the Mega forms look a little silly and over-done. And, no, I don't mean this in the way that many of you nay-sayers to the nay-sayers often try and thrust on me -- just because it's new has nothing to do with it. The concept is intriguing (And very Digimon-like, as many others brought up) and will do much to break up the monotony of battles with more strategy (Just so long as Giratina's origin form doesn't become his mega >_<) but there really isn't any difference between the normal "Un-mega" forms and the Mega forms -- it just appears as though the artists just slapped on a few appendages here or an extra hair there and lengthened the hell out of a crap-ton of the already existent designs. If they could make it seem like the mega evolutions weren't bombarded by a fashion fanatic, I might be a little more pleased.

I do rather like that some Pokemon like Mawhile and Absol aren't getting a full-blast evolution, though. They already look really cool in their natural forms, and I can't really imagine how you could pump them up to look any different -- it would lose their finesse. However, with this temporary mega-evolution, they can retain their finesse and revert back to it when the job is done.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2014
So all in all, I've got to say I'm a little disappointed about these Mega Evolutions, but maybe they'll grow on me as we get closer to X/Y actually being released. And I hope that these aren't the only 6 Pokemon that get this special treatment, as there are quite a few others I can think of that probably deserved a Mega Evolution before those like Blaziken and Ampharos.

I think the reason they are jut evolutions is because they have to hold and item to maintain their form. I magine its a way of making sure they dont become overpowered,as items are really important. I also imagine thief/knock off being key skills in gen 5 against mega evolution.

Are there an pokemon you guys want to see become mega-evolved?
If they're doing all the starter pokemon (Just blaziken would be mega-lame) I'm looking forward to Torterra, Feraligatr, Swampert, and Venasaur!

Back