• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Missions/Levels that were really hard

TY

In video games, we all have missions or levels that are either easy or really hard and almost impossible to beat. We are gonna talk about the latter.

What missions or levels were really hard for you?
    How long did it take you to beat it?​

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • For me, it'd probably be Mission 7 in Devil May Cry 3. It's the longest mission in the game iirc. They throw numerous enemy fights at you and lots of walking around. To top it off, you have your first fight with Vergil at the end of it, and he can overwhelm you if you're not prepared.

What's that? Vergil killed you? And you had no Yellow Orbs? Too bad buddy, you have to do the whole mission again! xD

(Luckily I had some Yellow Orbs)

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • The entirety of Dark Souls. It's naturally difficult, but that difficulty multiplies if you go into it blind and have no idea what you're doing. I was having tons of trouble with it until my friend explained the benefits of specific items and the general order in which I should do things, so now I only have maybe half the trouble. It's still a lot of trouble though.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Armored Core games are known for their difficult missions, one of the missions I remember being quite difficult was the last mission in Armored Core 4 where you have fight 4 NEXT at ones. Also in Armored Core: Last Raven, the alternate ending where you have fight the woman in the violet Raven(can't remember her name), that mission took me a while to complete.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • In the Halo 3 Campaign, the mission "Cortana" was particularly difficult for me on Legendary. Basically the entire level is wall-to-wall Flood with little/no standing room, and on Legendary the Flood outright refuse to die. It's the only level of any Halo campaign that I haven't been able to beat solo on Legendary; I had to go co-op for that one.

Also In StarCraft 2, the WoL mission "In Utter Darkness" (the final Protoss holdout mission) was really pretty hard on Brutal. I tried doing legitimate army builds several times, but when those inevitably didn't work I ended up cheesing the mission. I walled off both ramps completely with Dark Templar on hold orders, then used Phoenixes to kill off any Overseers; without detection, the Zerg couldn't kill anything and couldn't pass the wall. Overall, I thought In Utter Darkness was much more difficult (to do legitimately) even than the All-In mission.

TY

Oh god i hated that mission so much on Brutal. All those hybrids and stuff overwhelming me. I went for Void Rays all the time when they were avalible. I literally needed 40 kills when my last unit was Selendis. If they had a APM count it would have been really high for the past 30 minutes trying to kill 40 zerg without getting Selendis killed.

Also i found All in to be quite annoying aswell. Nydus worms constantly popping up with reinforcements to crush my puny defense of tanks, battleceuisers and bunkers.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I'll stick with the notable games and the one I've been playing recently.

SPIDER-MAN 3

The mission in the Dragon Hideout. Had to fight 3 tank enemies at once (blocked constantly and could only be beat, quickly, with the Black Suit)

HALO 4 (Legendary)

Flippin', the desert mission where you have to take out the AA guns on the back of a UNSC Mammoth (Giant land tank). Wraiths man. They never had to see you to hit you. >:[. Also Midnight, the last mission of the game. So much a pain in the rump.

MODERN WARFARE 2 (Veteran)

Takedown & The Enemy of my Enemy...

Both incredibly tough missions due to the massive amount of enemy soldiers.

BIOSHOCK: INFINITE (Hard)

THE GAME IS JUST HARD! ALRIGHT!?

Every TOUHOU game ever.

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • Every final fantasy game I've played has this annoying boss you have to fight a million times. Specifically I really hated:
    Seymour and Barthandelus (FFX and FFXIII respectively). Each time I fought them, it would take me two hours to farm the crap out of my characters in order to kill them.

I also found that most of my gamecube games were pretty difficult for me as a kid. (Sphinx and the cursed mummy, Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker (only at the find the triforce part)). I can't remember an specific levels though, I just remember struggling throughout the entire game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Demise from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. His electric dash attacks were very hard to avoid (due to his size and speed). You had to charge your sword in order to damage him, but that was also hard because he takes you down before you get the chance to charge it completely. Phantamanta in Super Mario Sunshine was a hard boss, too. He attacks you from many directions, so you never know where he'll attack next.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Demise from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. His electric dash attacks were very hard to avoid (due to his size and speed). You had to charge your sword in order to damage him, but that was also hard because he takes you down before you get the chance to charge it completely. Phantamanta in Super Mario Sunshine was a hard boss, too. He attacks you from many directions, so you never know where he'll attack next.

Demise's dash can be avoided by a well-timed backflip. Your sword should charge immediately after if you've been holding it up before he decided to ram you.
    I understand Phantamanta, I just spammed the sprinkler spin. xD

Anyways, I thought of another one: Grandmaster Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2. The first mission is challenging enough, but then they throw "The Perfect Run" at you. You have to do the entirety of the level without getting hit once, which isn't a walk in the park. It's not even a walk in the desert. The day I finally beat that was one of the best days ever.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • I tried to not think about JRPGs at first but screw it, let's talk JRPGs.

Robin Wind from Star Ocean 3 is INSANELY difficult for a boss during the main story. It's not even his stats or anything - he's really easy to MP kill - it's the fact that he's so, SO fast. Trying to hit him with a battle skill without comboing into it from a basic attack is damn near impossible because he'll be clear across the map by the time the skill actually activates. And he's got this god-awful whirlwind attack that deals a lot of damage, has a huge area of effect, and knocks everybody it hits up into the air. I hate that entire portion of the game a lot regardless, but he definitely multiplies that hatred.

Let's continue talking about wicked-bad bosses. Lenneth Valkyrie. Same game. She's small, she's fast, and she makes Robin Wind look pathetic. Unlike Robin Wind, she doesn't have a weakness within her stats. HP and MP killing her are both very, very difficult. She has 7,000,000 HP on the standard difficulty setting and there are still two more difficulties that are harder. There's a trick to nullifying her damage by loading your characters up with maxed-out Boots of Prowess, but they're really expensive and the trick takes the fun out of the game. Her special attack is one of the worst in the game. Its area of effect pretty much covers the entire map and the only way to stop it is to either use Fayt's Ethereal Blast at the exact same time or to use a stun item on her in between when she calls it out and when she actually activate it. The window for that is pretty narrow and it's outright useless if she decides to use it twice in a short time since the ability to use items will still be on cooldown. If it hits then it's instant GG.

Next boss is another Valkyrie Profile cameo in SO3: Freya. She's like Lenneth on steroids. 20,000,000 HP on normal difficulty, special attack that covers almost the entire map, etc. etc. etc. She's especially worth noting since in the later difficulties her damage output is so high that the Boots of Prowess trick, which maxes out your Defense, is useless and she'll still hit you for a lot. If I remember correctly, you get a battle trophy if you beat her on the hardest difficulty in under half an hour. It's an absolutely brutal fight that I would never wish upon people. Imagine fighting a boss for half an hour only to mess up a little bit - your timing is off, your item usage is on cooldown, you don't dodge in time - and having her wipe out your party in a matter of seconds with one attack. All of that work, gone.

Oh, oh, oh, also give me a chance to rag on Sphere Break in FFX-2. I hate Sphere Break more than I hate anything in any other game. It's so, SO difficult but winning the tournament is how you get the Lady Luck sphere. The tournament itself is what gets to me the worst. Even if you scrape by beating the easiest opponents in the crowd, you have to face Shinra at the very end and his sphere is the hardest one in the whole tournament. To this day I've never beaten him because it's just too hard. Every time I think I understand the game and believe that I might have an edge, his stupid sphere gives me something that I can't work with.

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • Absolute most impossible boss in any FF game?
    50 Million HP ***hat Yiazmat
    Well Khawill, he can't be that hard right? I mean even though that game was already hard as rocks, this boss couldn't possibly be much worse?

Well stupid question asker in my head, lets do a checklist
    -Over 200 times final boss's health? Check
    -Does the game not allow the characters to break damage limit? Check
    -Chance to inflict instant death on a normal attack? Check
    -On a scale of L4D to Dota2 unfair bots, how useless is the AI on your team? Adoring Fan
    -Does the boss have a lot of white magic/time magic? Absolutely
    -Does he have a heal? Check
    -Can you beat him in a reasonable time? Define reasonable.

Worst part is, he drops a part of the game's best weapon: WHICH DOESN"T MATTER BECAUSE YOU ALREADY BEAT THE STRONGEST BOSS. At least you can leave the arena whenever you want, come back, and he will have the same health as when you left.

Also lemme tip my hat to the last boss in FF3, if you die, you have to restart the entire cave (random encounters and all!) Also she is like 20 levels higher than any normal mob in the game, even if you could 1-shot any mob in the game, you still have to farm forever to beat her. (Or to get the money needed to buy enough shurikens to throw at her.)

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
    Years
  • I'll repeat what Darkrai said, Super Mario Galaxy 2Grandmaster Galaxy - The Perfect Run. I still to this very day haven't completed that level, I always get to the final stage of the level and get destroyed by hammers. When I beat that level ... I'll jump out my window, whip my clothes off and run through the street in 'mah birthday suit. ;)

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    A majority of Sonic 06, as it's called was tough for me, especially the final boss. The fact that it was spewing lava the entire time definitely didn't help my efforts in defeating it. Once I had died numerous times to the beast, I gave up and pleaded my friends for help, haha. The rest of the game was not quite, but close to that level of difficulty. I might be in the minority of opinion here, but that was my outlook when playing through it. Once I had finished the final boss and completed the game, I was pretty proud of myself. At the time, it was the only Sonic game I had played all the way through, and it took me a long time to do it. n__n

Back