• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Human Nature: Reason and Emotion

Years
  • Most of us go through life every day, going through our routines and interactions and giving them nary a thought. What motivates us? Why do we act the way we do – are we as a society (or species, take your pick or both) guided more by reason or emotion? How about personally? Should we examine our comings and goings, our whether-tos and why-fors?

Should one be more important than the other? It seems to be commonly accepted that reason should dominate over emotion when we make our decisions. This begs the question – to what extent should we let reason be our master? What would the purpose – or if you don't like that word, function – of emotion be within rationalism? Or are we getting too far ahead of ourselves – could it be possible that we cannot separate our rational and emotional side? Is it even fair for us to make the distinction between a "rational" way of thinking and an "emotional" way of thinking?

(Bonus points for the one who gets the reference!)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I feel like rational thinking stems from our emotions. What we see as rational is a result of how we feel. Most often people depict the two as contradictory, i.e. thinking with your heart, or with your brain. Literally the brain controls your emotions, but that's just an interesting coincidence. From my point of view, it works the other way around. Having your emotions influence your thought process is not any different than "thinking rationally," as what you view as rational is solely dependent on your emotional take on things.

So that pretty much was a roundabout way of saying we shouldn't really make a distinction between the two. I feel that they coincide with each other, whether that results in a "logical" decision or not is irrelevant.

On the subject of motivation, I can't exactly relate that to emotion or reason. That for me figures right into the meaning of life discussion, and goes way beyond the thought process of humans. It does seem rather autonomous though, which leads me to believe that your actions could very well be a manifestation of your emotions.

Years
  • I think I'm generally a rational person, but my reasoning occurs in a moving frame of emotion. While I'll probably use the same logic and thought process from one day to the next, if I'm feeling bad - then my judgment of whatever I'm thinking about would probably be more conservative and pessimistic. And if I'm feeling good, then it's like I can do anything ^^ so perhaps I'm not a rational person after all D:

But this tells me that I should think outside of the box of emotion and get to the objective "bottom" of things, for example first understanding that I'm in a bad mood and then thinking about what I would have done on a good day. Personally, it's a chicken and egg problem, I can't tell whether reason or emotion is asking the questions or having the final say in my decisions.

Maybe the only truly rational people have to be emotionally secure first :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    I'm an empath. As an empath, I "feel" reality and generally react to it based on "emotion". However, being raised to understand the very nature of things, I also interact with reality "rationally" and with "reason". From my experience, this is the difference:

Each and every emotion is unique unto itself. Joy, Hope, Sorrow, Anger... All of them are unique and all of them CAN be rationalized. A person with full control over their emotions can select certain emotions to define them.

On the other hand, rationality and reason basically are how we "interpret and react to reality". We will act and react based on what we "reason" we should do. It is exactly HOW we do it, with what attitude and how deeply, that is determined by emotion.

Emotion and reason are not opposites. A person can survive solely on reason but someone cannot interact with reality with just emotion. Emotion is an addition, a sort of app, that lets us use our reason in a more unique format.

I reason that the country is in a bad state. My rational solution: To change how the nation works. My hopeful addition: Things will get better. My rage-filled addition: People need to pay for how things are. My joy-filled addition: Atleast they aren't that bad.

^ Regardless of my emotional perspective, I still have the same rational belief. Regardless of my rational belief, I can still have various emotional perspectives.

Emotion adds to rationality - they aren't opposites.

Years
  • It's kind of weird but interesting to see how people see themselves on this topic. I can't say I've given it much thought in the past myself, but it feels like the kind of thing that's hard to get a good grasp on no matter how much you try.

I've always sort of felt that I use reason when I'm making big decisions. Not like BIG DECISIONS but like where I'm going to have lunch instead of on small things like which shoe to put on first. So I feel like I use reason (probably emotion, too) to give myself a rough sketch of what I do and let my emotions get me from A to B in a way that's pleasing to me and not uncomfortable.

I guess I'm motivated mostly by emotions. It's like the wind in my sails. My reason is the attempts (not always successful) to catch that wind.

Years
  • It depends on perspective. I define light to be associated with logic and analytical thinking whereas the darkness drives on emotions, doing things based on feelings. I know a lot of people associate the darkness with evil but this isn't strictly true in my opinion. Based on my definition, I would take the ying yang approach and say that no matter how much someone tries to think about things rationally, there'll always be at least a bit of emotion in that person, we're human not computers. That person doesn't necessarily have to act on those emotions but they will still be there. Conversely, someone who appears to do everything because they feel like it, will have some level of rational behind their actions, we're human not animals. Others may not be able to comprehend it and the person themselves may not even realize it themselves but I think there is an underlying logic to actions that are seemingly based on fleeting emotions.

I used to be driven heavily on emotion when I was a lot younger. A lot of the time I was like a loose cannon and well I suppose you can figure out where I could be going with that. But slowly over the years I have managed to harness and control the flames of destruction that burn within my soul. A large contributor to this success is due to my many years of studying Mathematics, I think it really helped develop and evolve my way of functioning. So in this current day and age, I have a strong logical foundation on which my feelings drive off, making me a deadly opponent to any who dare oppose me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    I would take the ying yang approach and say that no matter how much someone tries to think about things rationally, there'll always be at least a bit of emotion in that person, we're human not computers. That person doesn't necessarily have to act on those emotions but they will still be there. Conversely, someone who appears to do everything because they feel like it, will have some level of rational behind their actions, we're human not animals.

I agree with everything you said... And I wish you were the real Giovanni 0.0 You are so perfect for that roooole....

There are two things I want to comment on here:

1) Humans are, as described above, a proper mixture of various things. This is a common theme throughout fantasy settings where humans are described as the weakest overall but they are able to use ALL their traits with more potential. This allows them to be the leaders, in most cases, of all races, because they are able to understand and unite all races under their banner.

At the same time, however...

2) It is believed by many that humans are made up of only Yin and Yang. The problem with the Apollonian and Dionysian concept is that it places all manner of chaos and discord into Yin - this is not the case. In fact, despite researching Yin and Yang for quite an amount, I did not know of the "third force" until I researched Pokemon. Odd, right? Zekrom represents Yin. Reshiram represents Yang. Kyurem represents Wuji. While Yin and Yang are for Order, Wuji is for Chaos. Only with Order and Chaos combined is there true Balance (according to the Guthixian).

Thus, we humans are made up of not only Yin and Yang, Apollonia and Dionysia, but also some kind of chaotic nature. Yang still represents light, order (in a societal sense), and structure, while Yin still represents dark, disorder (also in a societal sense), and emotion. However, these two are still very controlled when compared to Wuji, which represents void, primordial nature, and constant change.

^ A good example of this is to say, in The Secret World, that the Templar are Yang, the Illuminati are Yin, and the Dragon are Wuji.

In truth, the Illuminati were Yang, the Templar were Yin, and Anonymous is...still Wuji.

Point being, to say that emotion is simply chaotic or that logic dictates true balance...such things are wrong, I believe.

Years
  • I'm not a very emotionally driven person and try to be as unbiased as I can.

However emotion is part of our lives, too. Supporting a sports team for example can bring out a lot of emotion.

Years
  • Just to add a little to the discussion about emotion and chaos - I think emotion can be even more resolute than reason. Reason leads to pragmatism, shifting feet and stances. But strong emotion can make someone persevere through impossible odds, even in the face of certain death - a fear that speaks so loudly to reason.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Just to add a little to the discussion about emotion and chaos - I think emotion can be even more resolute than reason. Reason leads to pragmatism, shifting feet and stances. But strong emotion can make someone persevere through impossible odds, even in the face of certain death - a fear that speaks so loudly to reason.

From Anime Chicken, Episode 2:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!"

"Okay, that's really starting to get annoying."

"HYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

"Look, you can't just keep screaming louder and expect to beat me."

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

"Are you even listening to me?"

"HYAYAAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAAH!!!"

"What the f-?!" *explodes*

"Works every time."

^ That is exactly what you reminded me of, right there. Emotion doing the impossible. Yup.

Back