• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game] The Retype Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Welcome to the A&D Retype challenge!

I happily announce the retype challenge, where people from every art discipline band together to change a Pokémon's typing!

What is a retype?
    A retype is when you take an existing Pokémon, and edit it so that it reflects a new typing. This can be done in all kind of manners, editing the official drawings, editing sprites, or even redrawing one from scratch!

What can I win?
    1st Place: Will be featured artist this month and get an amazing emblem!
    Everyone else will get a less amazing but still goddarn awesome emblem!

How do I send in my submission?
    All submissions are supposed to be send to me. You are not allowed to showcase them before the competition ends, to keep the creator anonymous. All submissions should be send in before 1 May 2015

So, now on to the real part, the challenge itself. Now a days, the grass, water and fire starters are very overdone, but people still hold that nostalgic value to the original starters, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander. That's why we are going to make them hip and trending again, by assigning them new types.

The assignments is: Sprite, draw, recolor, knit, sculpture or crochet one of the original starters with an all new typing! Every form of art is allowed, as long as you made it yourself!

Rules:

1. Every kind of visual art will be accepted

2. The used pokemon must be either Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle

3. The pokemons new type may not be Grass, Fire, or Water.

4. The pokemon's may either have one or two types.

5. Added information, as movesets, are encouraged to be made, but are not necessary.

6. Voting will be done anonymously, so submissions need to be PM'd to me.

7. Making your entry public before the competition ends, will get you disqualified

8. Entering work not made by you, is not allowed, and will get you reported to the mods!

9. Submissions must be send in before 1 May 2015

Contestants:
    1. Rayshin (Submission received)
    2. Hannah
    3. SvelteDonut (Submission received)
    4. Poki (Submission received)
    5. Aisu
    6. Zinnia (Submission received)
    7. NinjaAiden (Submission received)
    8. The Dark Avenger (Submission received)
    9. deerui
    10. aka4794 (Submission received)
    11. Strifegirl (Submission received)
    12. Sheerow (Submission received)
    13. patsfan22 (Submission received)
    14. Magic (Submission received)
    15. Squirrel (Submission received)
    16. H.A.N. (Submission received)
    17. Lady May
    18. TeunCornflakes (Submission received)
    19. Gio7sm (Submission received)
    20. Achamo~Torchich (Submission received)
    21. Foxrally (Submission received)
    22. Skymin (Submission received)
    23. DDDchu
    24. Sunfished (Submission received)
    25. logiedan (Submission received)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    I'm so down for this. To clarify, are any evolutions of the three Pokemon allowed?

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Kay thanks!
    I was about to do a Poison-type Bulbasaur, but then I realized...

It's still allowed, you just have to take out the grass typing, and make it look pure poison.

deerui

pixie <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2016
    eep, this sounds amazing!
    Can we do all three starters or just one?

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    eep, this sounds amazing!
    Can we do all three starters or just one?

Feel free to do all three, haha, but you're only allowed to send in one. I assume you're in?

I've put you all on the list. If your submission has been recieved, I'll put it behind your name.

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    If I don't colour it, would that affect my entry (when choosing the winner)?

I hope to let the winner be chose by anonymous voting, so not coloring might make a difference for other people, but I'd say, if the artwork is looking good, it won't be a problem.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • I hope to let the winner be chose by anonymous voting, so not coloring might make a difference for other people, but I'd say, if the artwork is looking good, it won't be a problem.
    Well, yeah, not knowing who the artist is when voting is the best option.
    & Alright, 'cause I tend to draw in b/w.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • So I need an excuse to pull out the tablet and start drawing. This is most definitely it. I'm joining this woot!

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    So, [tier=mod]cuttlefishCuller[/tier] has made some very pretty icons for you guys. Everyone will receive one for joining, and one, together with a featured artist spot, will be handed to the winner. She really did a great job, so you guys should be excited for the fact that you can win it, haha.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'll admit, I did do some damn good emblems for this one. ;)

Also stickying this thread & adding an announcement.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    Nevermind, I'm not in, because mine looked too similar to someone's on Deviantart.

Last edited:

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'm in. And can I do dual-types? I'm trying a Dark-Electric Charmander. Another thing is, can we slightly change the sprites or is it just colours?

You can, although you're not supposed to mention what you're making, as everything is supposed to be anonymous. You may change as much as you want, as long as you can still recognize the original pokemon in it. It doesn't have to be a recolor, it doesn't even have to be a sprite, it can be a drawing or even a sculpture too :) I'll add you to the list, as soon as you removed what you're going to make from your post!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back