• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Years
  • Ehhh! confused by the title of thread xD What are some of ridiculously long scientific terms or words you have seen or worst you have learned :p

Years
  • Well I mean the only one that can come to mind for me is mesothelioma, but I'm not sure if you'd consider that long or what.

Years
  • Nahhh it's OK if it's not long, just the terms you find confusing or difficult xD
    like norepinephrine I dunno but I always messed up this word :p

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Norephrinephrine is definitely an annoying one.

I also for some reason always had trouble with endoplasmatic reticulum. Endoplasmic reticulum. What is it again. Endoplasmic I think.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Glycosylphosphatidylinositol was a difficult one when I was just starting to learn some proper cell biology. Like most long words in biology though it's a lot easier if you break it down, and abbreviations (GPI in this case) help more with that kinda thing and now that I'm much more familiar with biological terms it's much less daunting. Similar story with long chemical names; they make sense when you break them down.

I always struggle with drug names because to me, as someone who isn't a pharmacologist, there seems to be no rhyme or reason (other than sometimes their suffixes and occasional references to their chemistry such as cis-, para-, etc) behind why they're called what they are. Their trade names are even worse. That said I talk as if every name I learn therefore makes perfect sense which simply isn't true, so... meh. Haha. Just a familiarity issue I guess.

I'll have a think and post some more of my favourite long names later. 8)

megaman d

novice scripter
    Years
  • Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
    It is the phobia of long word.
    Irony at it's best. Like, people with that phobia are even phobiatic to the phobia itself.

Years
  • lol talking about chemistry xD

methylenedioxymethamphetamine well like Alex said it make sense when we break it down :p

As I like physics....bremsstrahlung ( radiation emitted by charged particle getting when its path is deflected by other charged particle)

damn I always write it as bremmstrahlung xD

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Glycosylphosphatidylinositol was a difficult one when I was just starting to learn some proper cell biology. Like most long words in biology though it's a lot easier if you break it down, and abbreviations (GPI in this case) help more with that kinda thing and now that I'm much more familiar with biological terms it's much less daunting. Similar story with long chemical names; they make sense when you break them down.

I always struggle with drug names because to me, as someone who isn't a pharmacologist, there seems to be no rhyme or reason (other than sometimes their suffixes and occasional references to their chemistry such as cis-, para-, etc) behind why they're called what they are. Their trade names are even worse. That said I talk as if every name I learn therefore makes perfect sense which simply isn't true, so... meh. Haha. Just a familiarity issue I guess.

I'll have a think and post some more of my favourite long names later. 8)
    nerd

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Whenever this topic arises I'm always reminded of Titin, the giant protein with an even larger chemical name. Seriously, it has almost 200,000 letters:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Nihilego

Years
  • Whenever this topic arises I'm always reminded of Tilin, the giant protein with an even larger chemical name. Seriously, it has almost 200,000 letters:

Spoiler:

Ahahaha, oh wow. I'm glad that this isn't how we write protein names or structures - fortunately each one of the components in that name can be boiled down to just one letter (for example, Methionylalanylthreonylserylarginylglycylalanylserylarginylcysteinylprolylarginylaspartylisoleucyl = MATSRGASRCPRDI - which is much more digestible). I was curious about what this protein is though and a quick google search couldn't find anything about it. Certainly, "Tilin" is not a protein I've heard of, although -tilin is sometimes a suffix added to some protein names. Any ideas what it is?

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Ahahaha, oh wow. I'm glad that this isn't how we write protein names or structures - fortunately each one of the components in that name can be boiled down to just one letter (for example, Methionylalanylthreonylserylarginylglycylalanylserylarginylcysteinylprolylarginylaspartylisoleucyl = MATSRGASRCPRDI - which is much more digestible). I was curious about what this protein is though and a quick google search couldn't find anything about it. Certainly, "Tilin" is not a protein I've heard of, although -tilin is sometimes a suffix added to some protein names. Any ideas what it is?
    It's Titin. *sweatdrop*

I didn't encounter it in biology, but rather linguistics. It's supposedly the longest word in existence, though there is debate over whether it counts as a word,

Nihilego

Years
  • It's Titin. *sweatdrop*

I didn't encounter it in biology, but rather linguistics. It's supposedly the longest word in existence, though there is debate over whether it counts as a word,

oooo. Yeah I know Titin. It's gigantic, ahaha. I wanna say it's the longest protein out there.

I mean, any biologist would tell you that it's not a word. It's a description of the sequence of components that make up Titin which can be fused to form one continuous word, but those components in that sequence are known as, well, "Titin". I'd say it's analogous to saying that "processorrammotherboardharddrivegraphicscardpowersupplyunit" is a word when what you mean is "Computer".

Years
  • I thought the word in thread title is longest out there.......srsly xD I never heard about titin, at least I learned something new ^ ^

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Whenever this topic arises I'm always reminded of Titin, the giant protein with an even larger chemical name. Seriously, it has almost 200,000 letters:

Spoiler:

this is why i don't study chemistry

Back