• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tutorial] How to build the Pokémon GBA decomps using WSL (Win10)

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
  • Will this work using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS? I'm having trouble installing the 18.04 release.

Subzero Eclipse

Because I say so.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Hello, I'm having a problem while trying to install the .deb package. When I try the sudo command it says that the packages libarchive13, pkg-config and make which devkitpro-pacman depends on are not installed. What can I do? Thanks in advance

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hello, I'm having a problem while trying to install the .deb package. When I try the sudo command it says that the packages libarchive13, pkg-config and make which devkitpro-pacman depends on are not installed. What can I do? Thanks in advance
    I'm in the process of rewriting and reordering some of the steps of this tutorial as we speak.
    I will edit this post when it's ready.

EDIT: Alright, it took me around 2 hours, but it's done.
    Funny, in your current state, I suggest you to resume the tutorial on the 3rd Step.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    on the "sudo dkp-pacman -S gba-dev" step it asks for a number before installing

nevermind i figured it out you just press enter to install all

Attachments

• decomp capture.JPG
      decomp capture.JPG
      44.2 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • on the "sudo dkp-pacman -S gba-dev" step it asks for a number before installing

nevermind i figured it out you just press enter to install all
    You could have just read the main post, you know...?
    As soon as we input this command, we'll press Enter and then we'll be asked if we want to proceed with the installation, to which we'll say "y" and then press Enter again.

I'll take the chance to remind everyone coming here to take your time and read everything thoroughly. Don't rush it.

Years
    • she/they
    • Seen Mar 27, 2023
    when on the "sudo dkp-pacman -S gba-dev" step wsl gives an Unrecognized archive format error. I feel like this is something obvious Ive missed, have you seen this error before?

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    when you say press enter it makes it sound like you're talking about inputting the previous command, not hitting enter for the next prompt

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    A few small questions from a very inexperienced beginner:

1). How many "threads" is considered appropriate (from step 10, creating the rom)

2). If I created my files in my downloads folder is it as safe and simple as dragging and dropping the created folders into the /user directory or are there some extra steps?

Thank you in advance!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • 1). How many "threads" is considered appropriate (from step 10, creating the rom)
    As many as you want. I personally use nproc - 1, meaning that if my CPU has 4 threads, I like to assign 3.
    That way, a thread is always free and I can browse pages or do whatever as a ROM gets built.
    2). If I created my files in my downloads folder is it as safe and simple as dragging and dropping the created folders into the /user directory or are there some extra steps?
    You mean moving your pokeemerald folder somewhere else? Everything should still work just fine, yeah.
    As long as you're aware of its new location to go there via the cd, you can put it even in the Desktop if you wanted to.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    I had the same issue as im_mega, when cloning agbcc i get:
    Cloning into 'agbcc'...
    error: chmod on /mnt/c/Users/user/Decomps/agbcc/.git/config.lock failed: Operation not permitted
    fatal: could not set 'core.filemode' to 'false'

I tried the sudo commands but those didn't work, when I type in: sudo mount -t drvfs C: /mnt/c -o metadata, i get:
    mount: /mnt/c: C: already mounted or mount point busy.
    <3>init: (17119) ERROR: UtilCreateProcessAndWait:489: /bin/mount failed with status 0x2000
    No error information

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I had the same issue as im_mega, when cloning agbcc i get:
    Cloning into 'agbcc'...
    error: chmod on /mnt/c/Users/user/Decomps/agbcc/.git/config.lock failed: Operation not permitted
    fatal: could not set 'core.filemode' to 'false'

I tried the sudo commands but those didn't work, when I type in: sudo mount -t drvfs C: /mnt/c -o metadata, i get:
    mount: /mnt/c: C: already mounted or mount point busy.
    <3>init: (17119) ERROR: UtilCreateProcessAndWait:489: /bin/mount failed with status 0x2000
    No error information
    You did type sudo umount /mnt/c before sudo mount -t drvfs C: /mnt/c -o metadata though, right?

Back