• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tutorial] How to build the Pokémon GBA decomps using WSL (Win10)

itzAmber

Ebic Gamer
Years
    • She/Her
    • Hell
    • Seen Feb 26, 2022
    OMG, this tutorial was just what I needed!
    been trying for upwards of 6 hours to build the ROM
    Hopefully, this works, will try when have motivation

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Old thread, but I see this:
    unknown.png

What do I open ".sh" files with? Notepad?

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    Am I supposed to download something before cloning /pret/pokeemerald
    Because it doesn't show me anything when I do install.sh for pokeemerald I'm kinda confused

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Once I do all this how to I begin to edit the code?
    That's the correct output.
    When a UNIX based script doesn't give any feedback, it means nothing went wrong and everything worked correctly.
    Once I do all this how to I begin to edit the code?
    Use a good text editor like Notepad++ or an environment such as Visual Studio Code, and modify functions of code as you see fit.
    Once you're done, save the changes and build a new ROM by using make on your terminal.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2022
    what happens if it shows the following?.. it doesnt give me a y/n choice.. (step 3-4)

tinytyph08@DELL-XPS2008:/mnt/c/Users/User$ sudo apt upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    tinytyph08@DELL-XPS2008:/mnt/c/Users/User$

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • what happens if it shows the following?.. it doesnt give me a y/n choice.. (step 3-4)

tinytyph08@DELL-XPS2008:/mnt/c/Users/User$ sudo apt upgrade
    Building dependency tree
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    tinytyph08@DELL-XPS2008:/mnt/c/Users/User$
    That means you already have the most recent versions of each of the packages your distro comes with by default, therefore, there is nothing to upgrade.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2022
    okie.. but this also shows up when i do the next step..

tinytyph08@DELL-XPS2008:/mnt/c/Users/User$ sudo apt-get install build-essential git libpng-dev gdebi-core
    Building dependency tree
    Package gdebi-core is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'gdebi-core' has no installation candidate

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • okie.. but this also shows up when i do the next step..

tinytyph08@DELL-XPS2008:/mnt/c/Users/User$ sudo apt-get install build-essential git libpng-dev gdebi-core
    Building dependency tree
    Package gdebi-core is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'gdebi-core' has no installation candidate
    Are you sure that you used sudo apt update before sudo apt upgrade like it's indicated in the main post?

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hello!

New user here. I've followed the instructions and have attempted to use this guide to help me along with running the Pokemon Expansion. However, after cloning that repo and running the make.py script I am left with an error:

"Assembling ./assembly/hooks.s
    Error! The Assembler could not be located.
    Are you sure you set up your path to devkitPro/devkitArm/bin correctly?"

I only strayed from your guide due to my downloads folder being moved. I adjusted my steps by installing devkitpro in another location. However, due to your note on the echo for location, I do get the same results which led me to believe I was still good.

Any thoughts on this issue? Stumped as of right now.

EDIT After comp restart. its hanging up on hooks still, but reading: "There was an error compiling the engine [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'arm-none-eabi-as"

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hello!

New user here. I've followed the instructions and have attempted to use this guide to help me along with running the Pokemon Expansion. However, after cloning that repo and running the make.py script I am left with an error:

"Assembling ./assembly/hooks.s
    Error! The Assembler could not be located.
    Are you sure you set up your path to devkitPro/devkitArm/bin correctly?"

I only strayed from your guide due to my downloads folder being moved. I adjusted my steps by installing devkitpro in another location. However, due to your note on the echo for location, I do get the same results which led me to believe I was still good.

Any thoughts on this issue? Stumped as of right now.

EDIT After comp restart. its hanging up on hooks still, but reading: "There was an error compiling the engine [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'arm-none-eabi-as"
    I think you're a bit confused here.
    You seem to be trying to use the DPE, the CFRU or both, but neither of them are decompilation projects.
    They're injections of code written in C for the ROM of Pokémon FireRed v1.0, and thus, binary hacking affairs.
    This tutorial won't help you because the process to inject them into a ROM, and the process to build the decompilation projects explained in this thread, are different.

I suggest you to open a thread in the ROM Hacking Help Section and ask for help about the usage of the aforementioned C injections there.
    Alternatively, you can join the Pokémon Unbound Discord Server which, from what I heard, has an area where people can ask for help about their usage.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I think you're a bit confused here.
    You seem to be trying to use the DPE, the CFRU or both, but neither of them are decompilation projects.
    They're injections of code written in C for the ROM of Pokémon FireRed v1.0, and thus, binary hacking affairs.
    This tutorial won't help you because the process to inject them into a ROM, and the process to build the decompilation projects explained in this thread, are different.

I suggest you to open a thread in the ROM Hacking Help Section and ask for help about the usage of the aforementioned C injections there.
    Alternatively, you can join the Pokémon Unbound Discord Server which, from what I heard, has an area where people can ask for help about their usage.

Ahhh, I am still learning quite how everything is connected/separated across the forums and really appreciate the details and direction.

In the end, it seems like I'm having moreso errors with devkitpro installation than anything else so I may point myself to their forums. What I've found so far are people with similar issues and then they eventually close thread with "the install magically started working all of a sudden!"

Appreciate the help!

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Hey! First time decompiler here- I had some difficulty decompiling in Msys2 so I went over to this guide for WLS. Everything is working okay, except at the very end when I run make -jN, when I get the following fatal error issue. Any advice on what might be going wrong?

Spoiler:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hey! First time decompiler here- I had some difficulty decompiling in Msys2 so I went over to this guide for WLS. Everything is working okay, except at the very end when I run make -jN, when I get the following fatal error issue. Any advice on what might be going wrong?

Spoiler:
    Just fyi, you're not decompiling anything here.
    Decompilation is the action of translating code from a low level language to a high level one.
    In this particular instance, the people from Pret translated the games' code in ASM to C, the language they were originally written in by Game Freak.
    What I teach here is how to build a ROM using the decomps, which in other words means you're compiling the code.

Anyway, judging by the errors you got, I'd say you installed agbcc into your project incorrectly, assuming you installed it at all.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2021
    I'm stuck after trying to clone pokeemerald and the other file. Says something about couldn't set value to false. I think som3one said something about cloning to root but i have no idea how to

Back