• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most overpowered type in games?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Which Pokemon type do you feel is the most overpowered in Pokemon games? You can think of this in a generational sense or as an in general sense.

Also, which types do you feel are the weakest types in the game? This is not a thread to talk about which types need a nerf or buff, just which types you feel are overpowered and which ones you feel are just weak/bad.

I always thought prior to Steel losing its dark and ghost resistances that it's just too powerful (defensively) so I'd say the Steel type is one of the most overpowered types from a defensive side. Offensively? Definitely not. I think nerfing it a bit removing its dark and ghost resistances was needed and necessary.

Before Fairy types existed, offensively, I'd say Dragon is/was definitely the most overpowered type. Almost every Dragon type in the game is either a pseudo legendary, legendary or just extremely powerful. Dragon was only weak to Ice and itself, but resisted all three starter types + electric. They also are the type that apparently has the highest base stat total. Fairy type being added definitely helped nerf the Dragon type a little, but even when it was added, Dragon types are still extremely powerful.

Also generation I Psychic had basically zero weaknesses and was overpowered. Nowadays, I definitely wouldn't say so, though. Psychic is still a good type, but doesn't feel as unstoppable as it did back in the first generation.

As for which types I feel are the weakest:

It goes without saying the Bug type is pretty bad. Sure there are some good bug type moves and Pokemon, but there's only one Bug type move with a base power over 100. I get it, though, bugs in the real world aren't exactly something that lives an easy life.

I honestly felt like before the Fairy type, which buffed Poison a bit, Poison was also one of the weakest types in the game. Prior to Fairy existing, it only was super effective against the Grass type (and bug type in gen i only).

Also, Grass type in my opinion, is the weakest type defensively. Grass has the most weaknesses of every type. "But so does the Rock type!" but Rock type also has a much higher defense stat than the Rock type, making it, in my opinion, stronger than Grass from a defensive standpoint.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Most overpowered: Probably Fairy. Performs well on offense and defense. Runs into trouble against weaker types (like Poison). Accepts that. Liked using several Fairy types (Sylveon, Aromatisse, Primarina, and Mega Mawile) in doubles teams. Filled their roles well.

Honorable mentions:
    - Dragon: Recognizes its strong defenses and good Pokemon. Dislikes the type's moves, however. Comes with downsides, in the case of Outrage and Draco Meteor. Improved with Dragon Pulse and Claw. Relies more on moves outside this type, even on Dragons.

- Generation 1 Psychic: Thrashed the types meant to counter it. Who cares about 20 power Lick/Leech Life, unreliable Pin Missile, and Beedrill's exclusive 50 power (total) Twineedle? Considers it the most overpowered a type has ever been, past or present. Reigned it in by the next generation.

Most underpowered: Poison. Always felt like a detriment, defensively. Suspects something about how common Ground and Psychic moves are. May just have meshed poorly with the types it was with. Contributes little coverage offensively.

Honorable mention: Bug. Struggled with weak or inaccurate moves. Fixed that over the years. Often feels better off picking a different move type for coverage, however. Consists of lots of Pokemon that peak too early, also. Weighs down the type's impression considerably.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Most overpowered: Probably Fairy. Performs well on offense and defense. Runs into trouble against weaker types (like Poison). Accepts that. Liked using several Fairy types (Sylveon, Aromatisse, Primarina, and Mega Mawile) in doubles teams. Filled their roles well.

I almost said Fairy when I first posted this thread, honestly. I recall Fairy being absolutely broken (broken as in extremely powerful) when in generation six, but felt the Steel type was a good enough counter to Fairy to opt out of mentioning it.

Years
    • Online now
    Offensively OP:
    -Ground (especially in Gen 2, when Levitate didn't exist)
    -Gen 1 Psychic
    -Gen 1 Ice (Blizzard with 90 accuracy, Fire not resisting Ice, and Steel didn't exist either)
    -Gen 4-5 Fighting (Close Combat + power boost to High Jump Kick + no Fairy type)

Defensively OP:
    -Steel. Just ridiculous, especially before Gen 6.
    -Water. Four resistances, only two weaknesses, and a lot of them can counter Grass with dual typings and/or Ice moves. Probably the easiest type for a monotype run, you could have Gyarados, Kingdra, Ludicolo and Gastrodon, and you'd have four Water types in the same team with no shared weaknesses.
    -Fairy. three resistances, one immunity, only two weaknesses. Technically a Ground move is all they need to counter both of its weaknesses, although good luck teaching a good Ground move to a Fairy type other than Granbull.
    -Electric. Three resistances, only weak to Ground.
    -Gen 6+ Poison. Little is said about how these things currently have five resistances and only two weaknesses. Although I guess it's somewhat compensated by the fact that Poison is rather bad offensively.

Offensively weak:
    -Grass and Bug, can be walled easily by a lot of Pokémon.
    -Dragon. Other than STAB there's pretty much no reason to have a Dragon move just to hit Dragon types, when you could have Fairy or Ice moves instead to hit Dragon AND other types as well.
    -Gen 1-5 Steel. Same as Dragon, wasn't worth it just to hit Rock and Ice, when Fighting could usually take care of that and more.
    -Poison (especially in Gen 2-5 when only Grass was weak to it)

Defensively weak:
    -Grass and Rock. The types with highest number of weaknesses.
    -Ice. Worst type defensively. One less weakness than Rock and Grass, but only resists itself.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Water will always be one of my favorite types to use in-game for their great coverage/movepools and overall good stats. Can't beat the likes of Vaporeon, Lapras, Quagsire, Tentacruel, Lanturn, etc etc - they often tend to have either great movepools or great stats/bulk, or both. Forever will be my favorite type to use in game. ❤️

I'd love to see grass types get a bit more…everything really. The struggle I felt training Meganium and Bellossom was unreal lol. Their movepools are soo bad.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    Dragon because of the massive amount of peludo-legends, real legends, and just strong pokemon.
    The only type that can effectively deal with them is dragon, ice, fairy.
    Dragon is weak to dragon, ice is just bad to to many move types dragons can learn, and fairy can easily murder dragon.
    all in all pretty good.

Back