• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Overall Team (Unofficial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vainz

The Pokemon and Jedi Master
Years
First, i would like to say that this is not official in any way. This is simply the opinion of those who post. I got a lot of good responses for the Defense Thread, and i was critizied for the Attack thread. I realize a pure Defense Team is ok, but a pure attack team isnt. I realize that there is a potential for a lot of argument here, so be kind. Here is the Goal of this thread:

Make the best overall team possible. Sweepers, Walls, ect. It will have as few repeating weaknesses as possiable, and there will be no Legendary pokemon.

Here are some starting suggestions:

Attack Sweepers: Scizor, Dragonite, Garchomp, Metagross
SpAttack Sweepers: Alakazam
Walls: Blissey, Shuckle, Dusknoir, Milotic

I know a lot of people will not agree, so dont tell me that, i know. This is not about what kind of team i want. It is about what the general population thinks the best Overall team is. If you have a suggestion please say why. You dont have to use the above pokemon, they are just suggestions. Dont post if you just want to critize my idea.

Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2007
well i would suggest

batton passing scizor
DD dragonite
DD tyrannitar
dusknoir as a wall
alakazam as a sweeper(special)
and either vaporeon (or god forbid the uber stupid) milotic both of which have great wall purposes

in some cases an annoyer such as ludicolo(only has obscure weaknesses, poison, flyinbg and bug) that suck the life of enemies and poison...

thats my opinion done in five minutes XD

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
Years
Well for a Attack based based team.

Weavile (Speed)
Arcanine (Attack, sp.Attack)
Swampert (attack)
Lucario (Attack, Sp.Attack)(i find his move pool quite useful)
Dusknoir(Defense with decent Attack)
Salamence Attack, Sp. Attack)

Iceman3k

Kickin' it Tribal GO Style
Years
Jesus Nameless, do you ever offer useful advice?
And for the record, I don't see Weavile defeating a Metagross OR Milotic for not even a millenium.

First, i would like to say that this is not official in any way. This is simply the opinion of those who post. I got a lot of good responses for the Defense Thread, and i was critizied for the Attack thread. I realize a pure Defense Team is ok, but a pure attack team isnt. I realize that there is a potential for a lot of argument here, so be kind. Here is the Goal of this thread:

Make the best overall team possible. Sweepers, Walls, ect. It will have as few repeating weaknesses as possiable, and there will be no Legendary pokemon.

Here are some starting suggestions:

Attack Sweepers: Scizor, Dragonite, Garchomp, Metagross
SpAttack Sweepers: Alakazam
Walls: Blissey, Shuckle, Dusknoir, Milotic

I know a lot of people will not agree, so dont tell me that, i know. This is not about what kind of team i want. It is about what the general population thinks the best Overall team is. If you have a suggestion please say why. You dont have to use the above pokemon, they are just suggestions. Dont post if you just want to critize my idea.
Next time around, use the "Request a Team" Topic.
Now let's see what I can whip up.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 228 HP / 104 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Pain Split
- Shadow Claw
A rather strange set I came up with, I'll admit, but it puts Weavile to rest. Pain Split punishes Blissey, while at the same time following up with a Focus Punch. Shadow Claw for the unwanted Ghost-Type Visitors.

Metagross @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd / 32 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Agility
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Explosion
Classic AgiliGross.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 212 HP / 144 Def / 48 Spd / 104 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam / Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Sleep Talking Milotic helps prevent Status.

Alakazam (M) @ Choice Specs / Wise Specs
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Energy Ball / Hidden Power (Ice)
HP Ice drops Dragon Types.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 212 HP / 216 Def / 80 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam / Thunder / Thunder Wave
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock
Since Blissey can't get Seismic Toss within D/P without the use of Emerald, then that's basically the only way to go there.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Dragon Rush
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Fire Fang
CBing should be your first form of Physical Sweeping.

I've used 6 of the Pokemon in your desired list. Unless you intend on running Thunderpunch on Dusknoir, your team will suffer from Chronic Gyarados weakness.

Just thought I should point that out.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2007
Metagross wants Thunderpunch badly if you have Emerald.

Garchomp wants a Choice Scarf, with Outrage over Dragon Claw. Fire Fang over Crunch, because Outrage hits Psychics and Ghosts harder than Crunch.

Iceman3k

Years
Perhaps he doesn't have Emerald, and even if he did, he doesn't have room for Thunderpunch on Metagross.

And Outrage on CS Garchomp is only reeling in another Metagross to come in and land a free Agility and attack away.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
Years
Metagross wants Thunderpunch badly if you have Emerald.

Garchomp wants a Choice Scarf, with Outrage over Dragon Claw. Fire Fang over Crunch, because Outrage hits Psychics and Ghosts harder than Crunch.

Garchomp needs Fire Fang, or else he'll pretty much be beaten by Skarmory. Or Levitating Bronzong, if you ever see him, seeing as how both of them counter almost every other move a standard Garchomp carries. Even if Fire Fang is a physical move (won't OHKO Skarm), but it will put a decent dent in her.

Anyways, this is my normal team that I use, and so far I've done pretty well (and let it be known I don't use stat-boosters besides Agility, which is my primary downfall):

Skarmory
Claydol
Blissey
Gengar
Milotic
Metagross

One of the best staller teams, even without a Dusknoir; Between Skarmory, Claydol and Blissey (also Milotic to take physical water and physical ice attacks), they resists nearly every move in the existence. Gengar and Metagross are my only true attackers, and even then Metagross doubles as a decent physical wall (his Defense nearly matching his enormous Attack).

Oh, BTW:

Metagross @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd / 32 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Agility
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Explosion

A Metagross without Earthquake is like a day without sunshine. Explosion over Zen Headbutt, if you can't get Thunder Punch. I have Thunder Punch on my Gross from Emerald, but since I'm rebreeding for IVs, I think Explosion works well instead. As for EVs... take the Special Defense and about 20 of the Speed EVs and put them into HP. Since this is Agiligross, youdon't need too many Speed EVs, unless you want to outrun Aerodactle (who outran me once) or the likes after one Agility.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 212 HP / 216 Def / 80 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam / Thunder Wave
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock

If you can't get Seismic Toss, then Counter is a good alternative. Don't use Thunder... too bad of an accuracy to work on Bliss. Ice Beam is generally preferred, and Stealth Rock can come in handy, but I prefer Spikes (on a Skarmory) myself. Oh, and max out both HP and Defense in EVs, with the 6 left over in Special Defense or Special Attack. That's a given.

Last edited:

Vainz

Years
Ok, we have a lot to add up here. I am very pleased with the outcome so far. Lets focus on one problem at a time. What should we use as a Physical Sweeper. We will get to the rest, but just for now, what should we use as a physical sweeper.

Here are some that you have said:
Dragonite- Weaknesses: Dragon, Ice, Rock
-Base Attack: 134, Speed: 80

Garchomp-Weaknesses: Dragon, Ice
-Base Attack: 130, Speed: 108

Tyranitar- Weakness: Fighting, Water, Ground, Grass, Steel
-Base Attack:134, Speed: 61 (also good Def and SpDef)

Metagross- Weakness: Fire, Ground
-Base Attack:135, Speed: 70 (Metagross also could be used for his good defense)

Salamence-Dragon, Ice
-Base Attack:135, Speed:100

I am guessing most of us know what EV's can do. I think the bases of a good physical sweeper are Attack and Speed. Dragonite, Salamence, and Tyranitar can learn Dragon Dance, which is always good for sweeping. Post to show which is the best choice and why and then we will pick based on what you say.

Punishment

Brotherhood of War
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 22, 2013
Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 212 HP / 144 Def / 48 Spd / 104 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam / Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Sleep Talking Milotic helps prevent Status.

A sleep talking Milotic is very unreliable in tight situations. Sure you can prevent status effects but it does have Marvel Scale and a BLissey on the team with Aromatherapy.

Milotic doesn't really need any speed EVs either as she isnt made to outrun many Pokemon thus her role as a wall and limited sweeper. Bold Nature is prefered here as suggested above. Really the EV spread should be something like this:

252 Def / 200 HP / 58 SDEF

If she is going to be a bold and somewhat of a physical wall and counter to the likes of Salamence then she needs all the Defense she can get. Her Special Defense is already high as it is and not to many Pokemon can pierce it.

Moveset should be:

-Surf (for STAB)
-Ice Beam (for pesky Dragons and Grass types etc.)
-Recover
-Hypnosis/Mirror Coat

Personally I think Hypnosis is a way better move then Mirror Coat especially if Milotic is taking the role of physicl wall then a special wall. Sure Mirror Coat can get you a free OHKO but people are weary of attack Milotic with Special Attacks these day. They try and go for her lower Defense. Hynosis on the other hand is very viable because it can disable those other bulky water types Milotic has trouble with.

Faceless*

YES!
Years
  • Age 34
  • ?
  • Seen Jan 17, 2013
Jesus Nameless, do you ever offer useful advice?
And for the record, I don't see Weavile defeating a Metagross OR Milotic for not even a millenium.

what are you talking about? you can't expect one pokemon the end off the whole team, weavile defeats a whole lot of the pokemon the person has mentioned (goddam it iceman, learn to understand, play, post correct stuff, not stupid stuff)

Nightofshadow

Just isn't good enough yet....
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2016
what are you talking about? you can't expect one pokemon the end off the whole team, weavile defeats a whole lot of the pokemon the person has mentioned (goddam it iceman, learn to understand, play, post correct stuff, not stupid stuff)

Uh, Ive played iceman and ive played you. Your WAY behind him. How are you going to sit here and tell him to learn to play andpost correct stuff when your completely WRONG?

Iceman3k

Years
Well now, Mr. Weavile-can-beat-a-Metagross has some words for me.

And dude, I've been doing research on the D/P Metagame LONG before it came to the U.S. Since November of last year actually.

Hmph. Once I finish compiling my team, I'd like to have a match with you someday.

Vainz

Years
Lets clear some things up that dont seem to be clear. I am strongly against that kind of language Nameless111. If you do it again i will report it. Weavile is not even that good of a pokemon when its all said and done. It has horrible Defense, a Dragonite could beat it easily, escpecially if you are using the wrong attacks. It could not beat Milotic, Scizor, or Metagross, and that is a good chunk of the list. Besides, i was only giving those as suggestions, not as the whole team. Can we stay on topic now.

Faceless*

YES!
Years
  • Age 34
  • ?
  • Seen Jan 17, 2013
Uh, Ive played iceman and ive played you. Your WAY behind him. How are you going to sit here and tell him to learn to play andpost correct stuff when your completely WRONG?

WHOA WHOA easy, when did this ever get to u?

and iceman, its all only saying, weavile will destroy most posted up there,

dang it guys why do you all hate me a whole bunch? what did i ever do to you? T_T (cept for nightofshadows, QUIT BUGGIN ME! :( )

Iceman3k

Years
and iceman, its all only saying, weavile will destroy most posted up there

I think maybe it's time I explained little by little.

Let's say for example you send in Weavile against someone's Dragonite, and attempt to pull an Ice Punch.
The enemy switches and Sends in Milotic, doing absolutely nothing to it.
That cycle repeats itself over and over.

I'd also like to point out that trying to send Weavile against a Dragonite OR Salamence with Dragon Dance in is completely useless. Weavile can't switch in on a Earthquake / Dragon Claw / Dragon Rush / Fire Fang / Stone Edge or whatever else while the enemy has 1 DD under his belt.

I also don't see Weavile doing any type of Damage to Scizor or Shuckle at all either.

The only Pokemon in that list that Weavile can ever hope to harm is Blissey and Alakazam, but they're most likely to switch out to something that can take Weavile's Hits. Weavile can hurt a Garchomp, heavily assuming it isn't carrying Choice Scarf. Other than that, Weavile can't hurt anything.

Your problem is, you need to learn what counters what, and you shouldn't be thinking of just Type Weaknesses. There's a lot more to it than that.

Faceless*

YES!
Years
  • Age 34
  • ?
  • Seen Jan 17, 2013

Let's say for example you send in Weavile against someone's Dragonite, and attempt to pull an Ice Punch.

I'd also like to point out that trying to send Weavile against a Dragonite OR Salamence with Dragon Dance in is completely useless. Weavile can't switch in on a Earthquake / Dragon Claw / Dragon Rush / Fire Fang / Stone Edge or whatever else while the enemy has 1 DD under his belt.

I also don't see Weavile doing any type of Damage to Scizor or Shuckle at all either.

The only Pokemon in that list that Weavile can ever hope to harm is Blissey and Alakazam, but they're most likely to switch out to something that can take Weavile's Hits. Weavile can hurt a Garchomp, heavily assuming it isn't carrying Choice Scarf. Other than that, Weavile can't hurt anything.

Your problem is, you need to learn what counters what, and you shouldn't be thinking of just Type Weaknesses. There's a lot more to it than that.

yes, but my type of weavile would know sucker punch if they used an attack

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
Years

I think he means, that if a Weavile has the right move pool, it could beat most of them one on one. What you failed to point out is that when they trade there Dragonite for a Milotic, He could trade his Weavile for a Torterra or something, then the cycle never ends.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2007
There's no better team. But there are standard pokémons, wich are:
Blissey;
Skarmory;
Boah(Not so much, but normally Dragonite and Tyranitar).

That's about how every team is made. No team is flawless.

Vainz

Years
What is with you people. Just let it go. Those pokemon up there were not even a team, so what is the big deal. You are blowing it way out of proportion. Can we please get back on target. We need to pick a Phsyical Sweeper. Someone post about this so we can get the ball rolling in the right direction.

EXAMPLES of Phsyical Sweepers:

Dragonite- Weaknesses: Dragon, Ice, Rock
-Base Attack: 134, Speed: 80

Garchomp-Weaknesses: Dragon, Ice
-Base Attack: 130, Speed: 108

Tyranitar- Weakness: Fighting, Water, Ground, Grass, Steel
-Base Attack:134, Speed: 61 (also good Def and SpDef)

Metagross- Weakness: Fire, Ground
-Base Attack:135, Speed: 70 (Metagross also could be used for his good defense)

Salamence-Dragon, Ice
-Base Attack:135, Speed:100

I know attacks have a lot to do with the choice but i am to lazy to type those. Dragonite, Salamence, and Tyranitar all have DD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back