• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

“Oops, Parkinson's.”

Winston-Harlem

Rich boy
    Years
    Not really. I'd be pretty ticked off if someone wanted to pull off a stunt like that on me. Like the people Magic Christmas Lights describe, I'd probably just not empathize. I don't want to play games like that.

I would feel annoyed knowing that someone was taking advantage of my sympathy to their condition to mess with me.

That being said, I guess it would feel satisfying knowing I was messing with someone I was mad at by taking advantage of their sympathy. So I can see why people would want to do it, because revenge feels good, but I still wouldn't condone it or say it's the "good person" thing to do. But how many of us are good people 100% of the time?

It seems others have answered the question from a very personal standpoint. The replies I read talk of all sorts of socialization involving vested attachment, and go on about the use/abuse complex of humans and how people can make asses of themselves through a mental disorder... but that's not what this was about. Maybe I'm a horrible OP, but the theme I went with in the first post and defended/elaborated on thereafter was of something not so... deep? Oi...

Years
    It seems others have answered the question from a very personal standpoint. The replies I read talk of all sorts of socialization involving vested attachment, and go on about the use/abuse complex of humans and how people can make asses of themselves through a mental disorder... but that's not what this was about. Maybe I'm a horrible OP, but the theme I went with in the first post and defended/elaborated on thereafter was of something not so... deep? Oi...

1. Of course we're answering from a very personal standpoint. You've asked us about what we think and how things seems to us. When you're giving an opinion it is always from a personal standpoint.

2. I legitimately have no idea why you made this point. Could you please explain to me what attachment has to do with this at all? If anything it's worse to do this to people you don't even know if you ask me.

3. You're kind of right here. Nobody likes to have their sympathies taken advantage of. That's why we're taking offence at the idea, because you're telling us it is perfectly okay to take advantage of our sympathies or to use your condition as an excuse for mistreating people.

4. I don't think any of us have talked about people making asses of themselves through their mental disorder. Rather we are talking about people using their disorder as an excuse for acting like an ass.

5. If we are mistaking what you're talking about please do elaborate. Although honestly I don't think this has anything to do with us misunderstanding, nor do I think you're a terrible OP - you've actually brought up a very interesting topic. Rather what has happened here seems to be that you've posted the topic and we've taken the issue you presented a lot more seriously than you do, which you probably didn't expect.

I only wonder how long until we get this shunted off to D&D with our antics. xD

Winston-Harlem

Rich boy
    Years
    1. Of course we're answering from a very personal standpoint. You've asked us about what we think and how things seems to us. When you're giving an opinion it is always from a personal standpoint.

2. I legitimately have no idea why you made this point. Could you please explain to me what attachment has to do with this at all? If anything it's worse to do this to people you don't even know if you ask me.

3. You're kind of right here. Nobody likes to have their sympathies taken advantage of. That's why we're taking offence at the idea, because you're telling us it is perfectly okay to take advantage of our sympathies or to use your condition as an excuse for mistreating people.

4. I don't think any of us have talked about people making asses of themselves through their mental disorder. Rather we are talking about people using their disorder as an excuse for acting like an ass.

5. If we are mistaking what you're talking about please do elaborate. Although honestly I don't think this has anything to do with us misunderstanding, nor do I think you're a terrible OP - you've actually brought up a very interesting topic. Rather what has happened here seems to be that you've posted the topic and we've taken the issue you presented a lot more seriously than you do, which you probably didn't expect.

I only wonder how long until we get this shunted off to D&D with our antics. xD

I dunno if the bold and italics are really necessary, but nonetheless I will rebute.

1. False. It may be from your standpoint, but taking things with a grain of salt wouldn't hurt.
    2. Attachment is important to note because the aforementioned posts heavily implied it where it wasn't.
    3. I'm not talking about taking advantage of sympathies, and never did. This notion leads back into the second bullet.
    4. Plenty have here, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    5. Ignoring the slights after the first sentence, I already have.
    I think this forum may be chock with an emotional memberbase, and that people here hold far too much attachment and sentiment in things. Then again, it is a Pokémon forum, so I kind of set myself up for not expecting something like that out of older fans. At this point we're really debating the negligable and it seems nothing but fruitless and painful. Uh, I'll move on, then.

Years
    I dunno if the bold and italics are really necessary, but nonetheless I will rebute.

1. False. It may be from your standpoint, but taking things with a grain of salt wouldn't hurt.
    2. Attachment is important to note because the aforementioned posts heavily implied it where it wasn't.
    3. I'm not talking about taking advantage of sympathies, and never did. This notion leads back into the second bullet.
    4. Plenty have here, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    5. Ignoring the slights after the first sentence, I already have.
    I think this forum may be chock with an emotional memberbase, and that people here hold far too much attachment and sentiment in things. Then again, it is a Pokémon forum, so I kind of set myself up for not expecting something like that out of older fans. At this point we're really debating the negligable and it seems nothing but fruitless and painful. Uh, I'll move on, then.

The bold was merely highlighting the points I was addressing, I couldn't find an actual highlight function. Sorry for any confusion.

Anyway, I am forced to agree that neither of us are going to concede our point of view for the time being. So I'll leave this be until some other people have commented.

Years
    Though it's not really all that common on sight, a lot of times people with neurological disorders like Parkinson's Disease or Tourette Syndrome use it to a social advantage, like being able to bump into someone or smack them lightly while shunting normal "responsibility" for it. I had seen this before on a sitcom and found it to be rather amusing, and I personally have Tourrette Syndrome and have done similar with it on occasion – can't overuse it or people will get onto you… though it is nice to be able to let a hand flail on someone's side or arm when they're grinding your gears. :p

On the off-chance that you personally have a condition like that, have you ever happenstance took advantage of it in that way, like maybe someone was getting on your nerves and you drop something beside them, reach to pick it up, and knock into them intentionally just to get to them? Generally speaking, what do you think of it when others do it? Does it seem kind of unfair, or do you see it as empowering since that person is using their disability to their benefit?

Well?

How would you manage to do such a thing without taking advantage of sympathies?

Back