• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

🐲 MONOTYPE DRAGON 🐲

serp3ntes

serp3ntes
Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Hey! I just want to know what I can improve in my dragon team for a little tournament with my friends that also are playing gen 7.
    I thought that the best start is to choose OU pokemon. So after that, I choose the ones I'd like to play the most with.
    So after that explained, here goes my team:

Altaria @ Altarianite
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Roost
    - Defog
    - Heal Bell

176 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature let Mega Altaria outspeed Adamant Dragonite, Adamant Diggersby, Jolly Bisharp, and Jolly Breloom. 252 HP and 80 Defense EVs make Mega Altaria as bulky as possible, letting it take hits such as Choice Scarf Greninja's Gunk Shot more comfortably. Natural Cure lets Altaria cure its status effect when it switches out, which can allow it to be used as a status sponge before it Mega Evolves. Altarianite lets Altaria Mega Evolve and grants it Pixilate, which transforms Body Slam into an effective STAB move.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Outrage
    - Extreme Speed
    - Fire Punch
    - Superpower

Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant nature and Choice Band combine to make Dragonite a powerful wallbreaker. Maximum Speed investment allows Dragonite to outspeed virtually all defensive Pokemon as well as slower offensive Pokemon such as Adamant Diggersby and Mega Scizor. Multiscale allows Dragonite to safely revenge kill most foes, even if they're faster, without fear of being OHKOed.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Draco Meteor
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

Maximum investment is made in Speed, which, alongside Swift Swim, lets Kingdra outspeed the entire unboosted metagame under rain. 252 EVs are put into Special Attack with a Modest nature to let Kingdra hit as hard as possible. Choice Specs patches up Kingdra's average Special Attack and lets it wallbreak more easily under rain. 4 EVs are placed in Special Defense to prevent Download users, like Porygon2 and Porygon-Z, from getting a Special Attack boost.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Fire Blast

Maximum Speed and Attack EVs as well as a Naive nature allow Garchomp to hit as hard and as fast as possible, outspeeding threats such as Mega Charizard X and Landorus. Rough Skin enables Garchomp to slightly damage any foe that makes physical contact with it. Focus Sash allows Garchomp to take any hit from full health and is especially useful to let it threaten to KO Mega Diancie and Latios when completely healthy and guarantee setting Stealth Rock.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Draco Meteor
    - U-turn
    - Flash Cannon

Maximum Special Attack investment allows Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed investment, a Timid nature, and a Choice Scarf enable Hydreigon to become a revenge killer, as its boosted Speed stat can let it offensively check incredibly fast foes such as Mega Lopunny. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense to prevent Download users such as Porygon-Z from receiving a Special Attack boost. Levitate allows Hydreigon to avoid all entry hazards outside of Stealth Rock as well as Ground-type moves.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
    Ability: Soundproof
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Clanging Scales
    - Drain Punch
    - Flamethrower
    - Taunt

Maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed when paired with a Naive nature allows Kommo-o to hit as hard and fast as possible. At +1 Speed, Kommo-o can outspeed foes such as Mega Lopunny and Zeraora. Soundproof is used to prevent opposing Kommo-o from using Clangorous Soulblaze themselves, as well as Ditto from utilizing Clanging Scales after copying Kommo-o's boosts. It also has smaller merits by making Kommo-o immune to Azumarill's Perish Song and Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice. Kommonium Z is used in combination with Clanging Scales in order to use Kommo-o's exclusive Z-Move, Clangorous Soulblaze.

So this is my team set-up for now, hope you guys can help me improve at its best possible form, considering its a monotype that has a lot of weaknesses. for nor I have been playing with my friends but I intend to be more competitive. By the way, we have decided that for this event NO LEGENDARIES are permitted.

Hope you guys can help me.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • You've forgotten and /overlooked the Dragon's biggest problem and weakness-The Fairy Type. You have almost no moves that will counter and stop them, (Steel and/or Poison), and your only member with Flash Cannon is Hydreigon, who, in a worst case scenario, gets obliterated with one shot by a super-effective ×4 Fairy type move, thus leaving you in an all out fight, which, trust me, is not something you want to do in that situation.

I'd say invest in the Battle Tree to teach Iron Tail/Iron head all around, or Poison Jab as well, but not as many Dragon types can learn Poison Jab, but almost all can use Iron Tail. Kingdra can use neither, but can learn Flash Cannon.

I also see you mention several times Kingdra's benefits from Rain...but I see not one Rain Dance on the entire team?

Mega Altaria is always a good way to go because he's immune to other, would be super effective Dragon moves, but , CAREFUL-He is STILL weak to Fairy somehow lol.

Kommo-O is also 4 Time weak to Fairy, but can use Poison Jab to crush stuff like Whimsicott.

Altaria as a defender/special is one of the best ways to go, and there's many different setups you can choose to utilize with him.

Years
  • I would add Dialga or Naganadel to your team to counter fairy's.
    Then I would replace surf or hydro pump from your Kingdra with clear smog or flash cannon.
    The garchomps fire blast is good cover, but since its a physical attacker i think that fire fang would be a better choice.

Years
  • I would add Dialga or Naganadel to your team to counter fairy's.
    Then I would replace surf or hydro pump from your Kingdra with clear smog or flash cannon.
    The garchomps fire blast is good cover, but since its a physical attacker i think that fire fang would be a better choice.

I am fairly sure Fire Blast still works out as having a higher damage output than Fire Fang.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2022
    A better set for Garchomp is Jolly Rocks/SD/EQ/Outrage. You will threaten way more with it. If your opponent has togekiss or skarm or something, predict for those and switch another poke in. Or perhaps run a magnezone to trap steels/check fairys like clef/klef.

Back