• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1/9: Highlander Scout

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Scout in Highlander is an interesting class. Despite having so much potential for damage output, your health pool is very limiting. Enemy communications can cause your death in a matter of seconds if you choose your moments wrong.

Strengths
    • 2x capture rate
    • high speed allows for easy access to enemy flanks
    • pick class: high burst damage when in proper position
    • open area combat

Weaknesses
    • no area denial
    • cannot effectively play with combo (unless ubered)
    • low health pool
    • confined area combat

The role of the Scout in highlander is to watch the flank, push the flank and stay alive for captures. What is the flank? In military terms, the flank is the side of an enemy; wherever they are not looking. In TF2, the flank is defined as the area of the map where the enemy combo (demo/heavy/medic/pyro) is not. Your job is to defend your combo from the enemy when they are in position, and wreak havoc on the enemy's flank.

You have a unique bonus perk of 2x capture rate. This makes you invaluable during pushes onto 5cp last points, or simply ensuring the capture of any control point. Just don't commit too early to be decimated by the enemy demoman with a couple easy sticky bombs. You're similarly useful in Payload offense: the cart will move at a max speed of x3, and you act as two pushers. That allows for more gamers to play offensively and clear the path for you and your companion to push the cart (typically engineer or sniper). It's not uncommon that you push the cart to its max distance without facing the enemy defense, so make sure you stay alive for when your team uses uber to contest! Come in during the uber to ensure frags on enemy players and fall back to the cart and capture!

As a Scout, you can use your fast speed to easily get behind enemy lines. Once there, a common mentality for the scout is to pick the enemy sniper. The sniper is one single player that can completely dictate the pace of the game. The Scout will also suicide his life for a pick on the medic to reset enemy ubercharge, or equalize it if your own medic has also been picked. If the Scout is in position on the enemy flank, and his own combo calls a push, he can ensure the success of that push by coming in from behind the enemy combo as they are being engaged and destroy any hope of the other team's survival. A proper flank is deadly, and constant presence on the enemy flank can ensure victory on small maps like King of the Hill.

There is a fine line between watching and pushing the flank. Watching is inherently a defensive style of play. Your positioning should ensure that, once faced with an enemy gamer, you win. But if you're spending 30 seconds waiting to engage a player, that's 30 seconds you are not pressuring the enemy. That's 30 seconds the enemy has had one less threat to deal with. A good mentality, upon respawn, is to do a quick sweep of your own flank and catch any stragglers. Once on the front lines, look for an opening behind the enemy and take it. Ask for a buff from the medic before you commit and do what you can. You should have a target in mind and go for it immediately.

To sum it all up, scout is a utility class as well as a situational pick class. The point of the game is to capture points, not get frags. Scout has a unique bonus to help captures and it should never be ignored. He can push flanks unnoticed very easily. Once in position, he has incredibly high burst damage on his chosen targets. His speed and double jump can make him a pain to combat in open areas, especially as a projectile class. A skilled scout can frag an out-of-position demoman and the medic healing him, and still run back in time to capture point.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Hey, thanks for reading! I've been playing competitive tf2 for just over a year now and have spent a lot of time thinking of the roles of each class and how to approach gameplay on certain maps. If you have any questions or anything you think I should touch up on, I can always edit this post and will definitely keep it in mind for the next one! Either drop me a line on VM or PM. :)

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I always loved playing Scout. Whenever a Sniper would be picking off my team, I'd get over to his area and slap him around a little. Scout was one of my favorite classes to play, alongside Spy.

Good entry, bud. :)

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Thanks man! Scout is a toooon of fun. Gotta go fast. :)

Back