• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

100 or 300 new Pokemons?

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2018
    100 would be an adequate amount, I think. As mentioned already, I'd much rather have a smaller number of well-designed, original Pokemon than 200+ of average quality.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I really can't see them introducing more than 100 new Pokemon. I guess 100 would be a nice figure for the 20th anniversary, but the majority of the Pokedex will surely consist of Pokemon from gens I-VI. If I had to say myself then I'd guess around 60-70 new Pokemon with 100 being just a possibility.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    200-300 new Pokemon is totally ridiculous. Even Unova didn't introduce that many.

I think anywhere between 80 and 120 sounds pretty reasonable. At most we "might" get Hoenn numbers (135) but I think that's really pushing it.

Yeah, 300 Pokemons is way too much, and it's going to make the "catch 'em all" theme nearly impossible.

First of all "catch 'em all" wasn't even the slogan for the games in Japan. So they probably don't have that same hang up in Japan.

Secondly, unless they flat out stop introducing Pokemon we're going to get to that point eventually. It's unavoidable.

and thirdly. The GTS in XY made this a totally trivial concern. I could get my hands on a Pokemon I'd never even seen just for trading a breeded starter or something. Pokemon Bank makes it even more trivial since you have easy access to your old Pokemon. Although I do think they should include some way to fill your pokedex using Pokemon Bank instead of having to move the Pokemon into your game. That way your Pokemon Bank sort of becomes your "collection" throughout the whole series and "catching em all" becomes more of an inter-generational task rather than something tied to a specific generation. (although that should probably be a post-game feature)

Last edited:
    Years
  • First of all "catch 'em all" wasn't even the slogan for the games in Japan. So they probably don't have that same hang up in Japan.

Secondly, unless they flat out stop introducing Pokemon we're going to get to that point eventually. It's unavoidable.

and thirdly. The GTS in XY made this a totally trivial concern. I could get my hands on a Pokemon I'd never even seen just for trading a breeded starter or something. Pokemon Bank makes it even more trivial since you have easy access to your old Pokemon. Although I do think they should include some way to fill your pokedex using Pokemon Bank instead of having to move the Pokemon into your game. That way your Pokemon Bank sort of becomes your "collection" throughout the whole series and "catching em all" becomes more of an inter-generational task rather than something tied to a specific generation. (although that should probably be a post-game feature)

She's right, the slogan was only part of the international versions and while it was initially removed when 3rd Gen started it was brought back for 6th Gen, and introducing a lot of new Pokemon isn't much of an issue when it comes to collecting them since we have access to global trading and Pokemon Bank.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I really can't see them introducing more than 100 new Pokemon. I guess 100 would be a nice figure for the 20th anniversary, but the majority of the Pokedex will surely consist of Pokemon from gens I-VI. If I had to say myself then I'd guess around 60-70 new Pokemon with 100 being just a possibility.

Having 70 in Kalos was a backlash from hell. So many people got angry because of it. They are going back to the simple designs, there is no reason there should be less than 100 pokemon. Especially with how much hate Kalos games got because of it.

60/70 is a TERRIBLE number.

Years
  • Having 70 in Kalos was a backlash from hell. So many people got angry because of it. They are going back to the simple designs, there is no reason there should be less than 100 pokemon. Especially with how much hate Kalos games got because of it.

60/70 is a TERRIBLE number.

With the 6th Gen Pokemon, even the unevolved Pokemon had a "complicated" design feel to them and given this generation was the testing ground for main series Pokemon on 3DS there was a lot of focus on that and as a result we got less new Pokemon.

Now that Sun & Moon seems to feel more fluid and better scaled, along with simpler Pokemon designs I feel we'll get a decent number again, hopefully around the more than 100+ mark.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    People are saying the designs are simpler...but I'm wondering if that's just because we're just seeing early route Pokemon at the moment.

We'll probably see some more "complicated" designs as we get closer to release. Although to be honest I've never really looked at a Pokemon design (at least one that wasn't a legendary) and thought it looked "complicated". So that's a topic I'm not really sure about. Honestly it's mainly legendaries that look "complicated" to me, and they still look "complicated" even in 7th gen.

Some of my favourite Pokemon were from the 5th and 6th gens. So I wonder if that means I like the "complicated" designs? :P

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Can someone define what constitutes a "complicated" design, even? I keep seeing this being thrown about here and there, but I'm not really sure what people's definition of complicated as it relates to a Pokemon's design.

I'm not sure I really understand it either to be honest.

Aside from Nekkoala (who I'll admit looks more realistic and "basic") I don't really see the difference between the designs of the 7th gen so far and the designs of the Pokemon from the previous gens. I mean would you really say Pancham or Furfrou look more complicated than Iwanko? I wouldn't think so personally.

Maybe it's because we've only seen a small amount of Pokemon so far that it just seems like the designs are simpler?

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2016
    I think we don't even get 100 new Pokemon the fact they introduced Megas in the game gives them an excuse to not release that many new Pokemon. Plus the 1% on the pokedex means nothing the pokedex won't show 0% it goes to 1% automatically since I doubt they would add decimals into the dex

Back