• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen 2011?

Hitmondog

Banned
Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    Pokemon.com says that Black and White are coming in Spring 2011. Sounds too early for me though. I'd think that the Japanese version wouldn't even be out until Spring 2013.

What do you think?

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
  • Lets see..... Pokemon HG/SS came out September '09 and the games were introduced like around, Apriil '09? Then in March '10 the US version come out, and around I think April Pokemon B/W were introduced. So they Japanese versions are coming Fall '10... And yeah, probably March '11 it'll come out in the U.S.

Hitmondog

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    Lets see..... Pokemon HG/SS came out September '09 and the games were introduced like around, Apriil '09? Then in March '10 the US version come out, and around I think April Pokemon B/W were introduced. So they Japanese versions are coming Fall '10... And yeah, probably March '11 it'll come out in the U.S.

But the HG/SS were remakes and obviously didn't take as long. Diamond/Pearl were announced in 2005...

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Diamond/Pearl were announced in 2005...
    Technically they were announced in late 2004, and came out in Japan in 2006.

They only announced the development of a new game in January 2010, and there's no saying how long they had been developing it ahead of time. It definitely wouldn't be the first time a video game's proposed release date would be incorrect, though.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Remakes usually don't take long. Here are the Japan release dates from Red & Green to Diamond & Pearl.

Red & Green - February 27th, 1996
    Gold & Silver - November 21st, 1999
    Ruby & Sapphire - November 21st, 2002
    Diamond & Pearl - September 28th, 2006

That is about 4 years on each game. Since the last one is in 06 we seem due for another one. 2013 seems way too long. Also I have noticed when they are about to end the anime or get near the end of the anime in the current region they start releasing info on the next generation.

WiiMann

I gots Heart Gold!! ^_^
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    And who says they haven't been working on Black and White all these years? It's not like they don't have enough workers to be working on more than one game.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Actually i'm pretty sure there set to be released in the Fall of 2010 in Japan, and the Spring of 2011 in the US. That's pretty much the routine for Pokemon games and it says those are the release dates on several sites including Serebii.net.

https://serebii.net/blackwhite/

Hitmondog

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    Maybe 2013 was a bit of a stretch but I still think 2011 sounds a bit early, especially considering we just recently received info on the games.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Yeah but as everyone else has mentioned, just because they've just recently introduced them it doesn't mean they haven't been working on them for a few years now. The remakes are easy to do, plus as someone stated earlier Nintendo has plenty of hands to go around.

In my opinion as great as HG/SS are I think they were only created to hide this project for awhile.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • One of the reasons it might seem like they're rushing the release date is that the 3DS is going to be out soon, and GameFreak wants to capitalize on the DS market while it is still relevant.

But yeah, it's to be expected that the games will come out in 2011, judging by Kenshin5's post. GameFreak enjoys their patterns.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • Maybe 2013 was a bit of a stretch but I still think 2011 sounds a bit early, especially considering we just recently received info on the games.

Well, if we're expecting an April 2010 release, that's 10 months, almost a year. That's more than enough time for the company to create the games and translate them. They have an army of people working on the job, not to mention stacks of cash. For a company like Nintendo, they can get plenty done in 10 months.

Also, as has been said, they've probably been developing them since just after Diamond and Pearl were released. With the game engine and so forth being completely revampe from Gen IV. If you think about it, HG/SS are basically a ROM hack of Platinum, with a few menu tweaks.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • You do realise they're only releasing stuff in little tidbits and have done way more than they have shown? When a company releases info about a game isn't when they start developing it, it's when they're done so far they can predict when they'll be able to release it within reasonable accuracy.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
  • Not long?! They started working on HG/SS in 2006! They said so them selfs in an interview they posted on pokemon.com
    diamond and pearl took 4 years, but i guess thats coz they were getting used to the ds.
    i think they should have waited till the 3ds came out, which wouldn't have been that much longer. they also only just released the first 5th gen pokemon this year. munchlax was shown i think 2 years before dp.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I just CANNOT wait until 2011... thats a whole year away... I WANT IT NOW!!! LOL
    Do you guys really think it takes them that long to make a game...? Maybe at least 2 years but not 4...?

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • OTOH, they might be trying to rush the games out before people switch over to wanting a 3DS? Nintendo fans are fickle fiends. Can you imagine if 2013 is the real release? "Ohhh, a new Pokémon game! Uh, it's for the DS? But I bought a 3DS...when do we get a 3DS game, then?!" Better to get the game out for the DS in 2011, then work on a new Pokémon game for the release of the 3DS.

Years
  • To be honest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they have another team working on a re-make for the new 3DS system as we speak. They have plenty of people working for them, and they're basically finishing up Black and White, they can actually afford to do this. So don't be surprised when you find out after a few months that Black and White have been released that there are talks about another game coming out for the 3DS system. Actually, you can pretty much count on it, at least in my opinion.

Back