• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2012 end of the world? not any more

Zet

Years
  • THE end is not near.
    At least that's according to a German expert who says his decoding of a Mayan tablet with a reference to a 2012 date denotes a transition to a new era and not a possible end of the world as others have read it.

The interpretation of the hieroglyphs by Sven Gronemeyer of La Trobe University in Australia was presented for the first time Wednesday at the archaeological site of Palenque in southern Mexico.

His comments came less than a week after Mexico's archaeology institute acknowledged there was a second reference to the 2012 date in Mayan inscriptions, touching of another round of talk about whether it predicts the end of the world.

Gronemeyer has been studying the stone tablet found years ago at the archeological site of Tortuguero in Mexico's Gulf coast state of Tabasco.

He said the inscription describes the return of mysterious Mayan god Bolon Yokte at the end of a 13th period of 400 years, known as Baktuns, on the equivalent of Dec. 21, 2012. Mayans considered 13 a sacred number. There's nothing apocalyptic in the date, he said.

The text was carved about 1,300 years ago. The stone has cracked, which has made the end of the passage almost illegible.

Gronemeyer said the inscription refers to the end of a cycle of 5,125 years since the beginning of the Mayan Long Count calendar in 3113 B.C.

The fragment was a prophecy of then ruler Bahlam Ajaw, who wanted to plan the passage of the god, Gronemeyer said.

"For the elite of Tortuguero, it was clear they had to prepare the land for the return of the god and for Bahlam Ajaw to be the host of this initiation," he said.

Bolon Yokte, god of creation and war, was to prevail that day in a sanctuary of Tortuguero.

"The date acquired a symbolic value because it is seen as a reflection of the day of creation," Gronemeyer said. "It is the passage of a god and not necessarily a great leap for humanity."

Last week, Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology said a second inscription mentioning the 2012 date is on the carved or molded face of a brick found at the Comalcalco ruin, near the Tortuguero site. It is being kept at the institute and is not on display.

Many experts doubt the second inscription is a definite reference to the date cited as the possible end of the world, saying there is no future tense marking like there is in the Tortuguero tablet.

The institute has tried to dispel talk of a 2012 apocalypse, the subject of numerous postings and stories on the Internet. Its latest step was to arrange a special round table of Mayan experts this week at Palenque, which is where Gronemeyer made his comments.

Many experts doubt the second inscription is a definite reference to the date cited as the possible end of the world, saying there is no future tense marking like there is in the Tortuguero tablet.
    tl;dr german guy said no one actually bothered to read the tablets properly and that 13 is a sacred number. Also a God is supposed to return.

source: https://www.news.com.au/technology/...edict-apocalypse/story-fn5fsgyc-1226212034359

So now that it isn't happening. What are your plans for next year on december 21st?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I wasn't planning on the world ending last year since I've yet to rise to fame, and its very important that I do so before the end of the world because I have some very thrilling things up my sleeve, so I'm very inclined to believe that this is highly suspect. Nevertheless, with this newfound information, I am preparing a trip to the sacred land and offer an apple (I am vegetarian, otherwise I would offer a goat) to Baktuns and massage his feet in hopes that he will leave peacefully. I encourage you all to do the same. I will do this all barefoot and will be taking pictures to mark my journey.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    What's the number 14 scared of? :o

No one can be 100% correct about illegible inscriptions over 1,000 years old. It's negligible in the first place since the world won't be ending, but I'm no more inclined to listen to this Australian over any other translator.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    Oh thank gosh, for a second there I thought 2012 would be my last year on this planet. Can you feel the sarcasm? But seriously, I never thought the world would end on Dec. 21, 2012. How can people blindly believe this when every other prediction about the worlds end has been wrong.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I didn't think the world was going to end then anyway, lol. So this was just...a given. Maybe now people will shut up about it at least.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • What are your plans for next year on december 21st?
    Eat a bagel; Like a boss.

Although honestly I can still see their being riots or something.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Legit I took a sigh of relief. Although I never took any of the stories seriously, in the back of my mind I was getting a bit paranoid that the world would end somehow. Call me an idiot because I probably was being one, lol.

Wonder how we're gonna die next time? I'd answer your question but I can't say that I plan over a year in advance, even if it was meant to be for my last day alive!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Ah, so that Mayan tablet was a record of their era, & that 2012 marks the end of this era, & the beginning of a new one? I always knew that the 2012 apocalypse was just a hoax, as the Mayans were wiped out before they even got to the new era from 2013 onwards.

This is all a huge sigh of relief, & it is further proof that people that are always claiming that the world will end at a specified time are paranoid crazies that need to be sent to an asylum. We cannot have people spreading panic & chaos needlessly in this society.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • What are your plans for next year on December 21st?
    I never believed the world would end, so I never had any real plans. Hopefully I'll still be where I work now (OR BETTER) and I will be working, since it's a Friday.

Years
  • I bet you Patrick Geryl won't like this. He was so convinced that 2012 will happen and has conned many people a billion dollars to live in some bunker in Spain.

Honestly, once December 22nd 2012 passes, I'm going to find all these 2012 fearmongers and laugh at them.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I read an article that said the tablet said 2050 would be the end of the world so yeah...
    People thought the world was going to end in the year 1000 if not earlier...

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Dang, I rather enjoyed telling people that the world gets destroyed the day before my 21st birthday, so they all feel sorry for me.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • On Dec 21st, I think my friends had planned on throwing an End of the World party, so that we went out partying, and if the world DIDN'T end, we were gonna celebrate it not ending. Now I guess we just get to celebrate it not ending at all! Yay!

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • Maaan, now I can just tell this to all the people who freak out about 2012, and all the stuff that's omg supposed to go down.

Never believed it much in the first place, but I'm glad there's now someone who's trying to shove scientific proof in the faces of the media.

c l e a r

Transparent Darkness
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    I'll just let Bill Maher handle this one, he summed it up best.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    What's this... I don't even bother about this...

HackChu

I need a haircut...
    Years
  • The new era might just be a financial collapse of the present age that later ends up transcending into an age of darkness. World Government.

Back