• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd competitive team

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    I'm looking to build a team around a mega tyranitar and a bulky milotic any suggestions as to what else i should put in my team?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If you're gonna make a competitve team (and post a thread about it), natures, EVs, moves, and items are very much appreciated for the Pokemon you already have.

Anyway, you need a Grass type to cover Tyranitar and Milotic's weakness to Grass, as well as Tyranitar's weakness to Ground and Milotic's weakness to Electric. For whatever reason, Grass has a number of good defensive Pokemon to use:

-Tangrowth w/Leftovers
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP, 248 Defense, 8 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Giga Drain, Synthesis, Focus Blast, Hidden Power Rock or Ice

-Ferrothorn w/Leftovers or Rocky Helmet
    Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP, 40 Defense, 218 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Leech Seed, Stealth Rock, Power Whip/Gyro Ball, Thunder Wave/Protect

Yes, its not resistant to Ground, but its still a great defensive Grass type regardless.

-Gourgeist (Super Size) w/Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Frisk (Insomnia is a bit better, but harder to get)
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Seed Bomb, Will-o-Wisp, Leech Seed, Shadow Sneak

-Roserade w/Black Sludge
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP, 240 Sp.Defense, 16 Speed
    Moves: Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Synthesis, Spikes

All of those are good options for your team. The nice part is that Tyranitar and Milotic cover their Fire weakness, while Tyranitar covers Gourgeist's Dark and Ghost weaknesses and walls Talonflame (the bane of Grass types) for the most part, while Milotic covers the Ice Weakness of all of them except Ferrothorn.

Did you have any sets in mind for Mega Tyranitar and Milotic?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I would go with Ferrothorn as your grass defensive mon like what Zekrom said. However, I have one note to add with your set:

Ferrothorn w/Leftovers or Rocky Helmet
    Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP, 40 Defense, 218 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Leech Seed, Stealth Rock, Power Whip/Gyro Ball, Thunder Wave/Protect

If you're going to use Gyro Ball, don't use Thunder Wave. Gyro Ball needs the opponent to be faster, and since paralysis halves the speed stat, those two don't go well together. Since Ferrothorn is most likely going to be a mixed wall, I would go with this set:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Protect
    - Gyro Ball/Power Whip
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed

With this set, Ferrothorn evens out its defenses and is able to take a few more hits from both sides from the spectrum. If it's a more offensive set you want, but still want defense, you can forgo Protect for both Power Whip and Gyro Ball. However, that will prevent an extra turn of recovery that Leftovers + Leech Seed provide.

From here, we can go more into team building, but I want you to put your opinion on which teammate would work best before I get carried away and design the entire team. :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    I'm now looking for advice on my first team it works well but i've got nothing to fight physic types. my team is
    charizard y flamethrower, solar beam, dragon pulse and air slash. sp attack and speed ev's
    gastrodon leftovers ice beam, earthquake, scald and recover hp and sp defence ev's
    talonflame life orb bulk up, roost, flare blitz and brave bird hp and sp defence ev's
    mamoswine focus sash earthquake, rock slide, s rocks an icicle crash hp and attack ev's
    azumaril shell bell aqua jet, belly drum, super power and play rough hp and attack ev's
    excadrill leftovers rapid spin, earthquake, protect, rock slide hp an sp defence ev's

How can i make that team better?

Years
    I'm now looking for advice on my first team it works well but i've got nothing to fight physic types. my team is
    charizard y flamethrower, solar beam, dragon pulse and air slash. sp attack and speed ev's
    gastrodon leftovers ice beam, earthquake, scald and recover hp and sp defence ev's
    talonflame life orb bulk up, roost, flare blitz and brave bird hp and sp defence ev's
    mamoswine focus sash earthquake, rock slide, s rocks an icicle crash hp and attack ev's
    azumaril shell bell aqua jet, belly drum, super power and play rough hp and attack ev's
    excadrill leftovers rapid spin, earthquake, protect, rock slide hp an sp defence ev's

How can i make that team better?

You'll need a fast sweeper either physical or special.

Alakazam, Espeon, Gengar and a fast Pokemon with Shadow Ball might do the trick.
    Alakazam is the fastest of the above so I'll be giving you an example.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Calm Mind

Alakazam works very good, for me at least.
    Hope this helped.

By the way, remove the Pokemon that gets swept by Psychic-types the most.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    There's no need to have both Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame on the same team. Pick one, and swap the other with one of the Pokemon Monobear Unidentified said.

If you go with Talonflame, Swords Dance is better than Bulk Up. Talonflame would prefer the extra power Swords Dance gives, and the bit of extra Defense Bulk Up provides does little for Talonflame. It also should use one of these EV spreads:
    40 HP, 252 Attack, 216 Speed or 92 HP, 252 Attack, 164 Speed. Your current EV spread wastes its potential. Talonflame needs all the Attack it can get, and has too many weaknesses to use a bulky spread effectively, not to mention its bulk is really meh. It also needs some Speed EVs to outspeed certain Pokemon when its not using Brave Bird.

MegaZard's moveset is fine as is, if you stick with it.

If you're gonna use Excadrill in that manner, an Assault Vest is better than Leftovers, to help it take special hits better. And you'll have to replace Protect with an attack move, since you can't use Protect with an Assault Vest.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I would switch out Charizard Y since it sets up sun, which no one on your team really benefits from except from Talonflame. In fact, with Excadrill, Azumarill, Gastrodon, and Mamoswine, your team is hurt by sun. So, I would go with Talonflame. Any of the pokemon Unidentified mentioned should work out fine.

Back