• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Why you shouldn't use Ambipom

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    Golpe-Duplo.png

Looking to succeed in the RarelyUsed metagame? Steer clear of this shameful simian.

Click here to view the article.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    Meh, depends on whether he helps your team or not. Seems most use him for fake out and then switch out, don't see much other use for him.

Sirfetch’d

I've always found it so underwhelming. It's an annoyance and Fake Out is a very nice thing to have but it's just not worth a team slot. Glad to see something that points out all of it's flaws!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • What I don't understand is why it's still outclassed. The point of cross-gen evolutions was to make previously bad Pokemon into a competitively viable Pokemon for OU, and yet it didn't become an OU Pokemon since its debut, thus making this evolution a waste.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    It was decent in Gen 4 UU, but Cinccino was introduced afterwards. That didn't end well for Ambipom.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    What I don't understand is why it's still outclassed. The point of cross-gen evolutions was to make previously bad Pokemon into a competitively viable Pokemon for OU, and yet it didn't become an OU Pokemon since its debut, thus making this evolution a waste.
    No? Last time I checked GF didn't care all too much about competitive Singles, let alone Smogon's ruleset. Also there's a lot more to balancing than just giving something an evolution.
    On the other hand, if people stopped using Ambipom in RU, it would drop down to NU, where it might get a chance to shine; kind of like Hitmonchan.
    It was decent in Gen 4 UU, but Cinccino was introduced afterwards. That didn't end well for Ambipom.
    How much better is Cinccino? At least from what I've gathered, it's not much better in RU than Ambipom, though, granted, I don't know much about RU, anyway.

Reactions: Nah

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • No? Last time I checked GF didn't care all too much about competitive Singles, let alone Smogon's ruleset. Also there's a lot more to balancing than just giving something an evolution.
    On the other hand, if people stopped using Ambipom in RU, it would drop down to NU, where it might get a chance to shine; kind of like Hitmonchan.

Except is NU is the worst place for any Pokemon to fall into, because players who are new to competitive Pokemon will dismiss them, and any Pokemon not in OU, as the worst Pokemon to use, even if it contains a Pokemon that can handle itself decently in OU and only landed on NU due to lack of usage.

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
    Years
  • I thought of a moveset for Ambipom using Technician with Covet and the Normal Gem, so you can then steal the opponent's item.

It can also exploit the gimmicky Fake Out + Last Resort Combo, although you need to KO any Ghost / physical wall in the opposing team.

Maybe my ideas are crap, I'm not a huge fan of Smogon's metagames, but yeah, if you have to use Ambipom, maybe it can help. And maybe you will lose because you listened to me :'(

Years
  • I find Ambipom cute, and Technician Fake Out paired with a Normal Gem can do some good damage on the first turn. Nice to see an article that points out its downsides, though it's definitely not as bad as you'd think, but that might be me watching it use some interesting strategies on some competitive videos I have watched.

Back