• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Fire-type Pokémon in ORAS OU

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    This is a good guide. I think Entei and Rotom-H definitely warrant a mention as well. Entei's Choice Band set is pretty good in OU with the spammable Sacred Fire punishing physically-based Water type switch-ins like Gyarados, Azumarill and Crawdaunt. Rotom-H is a good pivot in OU because unlike Rotom-W it has a good matchup against the defensively oriented Grass-types in the tier while being able to Volt Switch on Water-types, dealing heavy damage and being able to switch out in the process.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Can't believe you've forgot Arcanine, Darmanitan, and Chandelure (Mobile Tsk already mentioned Entei and Rotom-H). Arcanine is one of the few bulky Fire types that works well in OU because of the various tools it can use for any set. Darmanitan has Sheer Force, and once you equip it with a Choice Scarf, you can easily pressure your opponent due to its monstrous attack stat. Chandelure also has a monstrous base stat (except on its SpA), and it can be used as a revenge killer when equipped with a Choice Scarf.

I feel that Stealth Rock alone has prevented Fire types from reaching their full potential, which is why I question Gen IV's metagame being highly regarded as the most balanced in the series despite being the gen that introduced that move to hinder not only Fire types but also Ice types, Flying types, and Bug types (who were already terrible at the time with few exceptions). This forced Fire types to have either Fighting, Ground, or Steel as their secondary type to neutralize their Stealth Rock weakness or else it's off to the low tiers to them.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Can't believe you've forgot Arcanine, Darmanitan, and Chandelure (Mobile Tsk already mentioned Entei and Rotom-H). Arcanine is one of the few bulky Fire types that works well in OU because of the various tools it can use for any set. Darmanitan has Sheer Force, and once you equip it with a Choice Scarf, you can easily pressure your opponent due to its monstrous attack stat. Chandelure also has a monstrous base stat (except on its SpA), and it can be used as a revenge killer when equipped with a Choice Scarf.

I feel that Stealth Rock alone has prevented Fire types from reaching their full potential, which is why I question Gen IV's metagame being highly regarded as the most balanced in the series despite being the gen that introduced that move to hinder not only Fire types but also Ice types, Flying types, and Bug types (who were already terrible at the time with few exceptions). This forced Fire types to have either Fighting, Ground, or Steel as their secondary type to neutralize their Stealth Rock weakness or else it's off to the low tiers to them.

Darmanitan and Chandelure would really be bottom of the barrel as far as OU is concerned. Their middling Speed and bulk leave them open to being easily revenge killed or overwhelmed by bulky wall breakers. They would be almost required to run Scarf which could have a disastrous outcome with poor prediction. Arcanine on the other hand is viable but is outclassed by Entei in OU. While Arcanine's coverage moves are useful, Entei's Sacred Fire is more useful in a tier littered with physical attackers that wouldn't mind switching into Arcanine's Flare Blitz. Honestly I can see why none of these three were included, though I wouldn't say Arcanine is unviable like the other two.

Years
  • Darmanitan and Chandelure would really be bottom of the barrel as far as OU is concerned. Their middling Speed and bulk leave them open to being easily revenge killed or overwhelmed by bulky wall breakers. They would be almost required to run Scarf which could have a disastrous outcome with poor prediction. Arcanine on the other hand is viable but is outclassed by Entei in OU. While Arcanine's coverage moves are useful, Entei's Sacred Fire is more useful in a tier littered with physical attackers that wouldn't mind switching into Arcanine's Flare Blitz. Honestly I can see why none of these three were included, though I wouldn't say Arcanine is unviable like the other two.

Entei isn't much better. It has no recovery to deal with its Stealth Rock Weakness, no coverage to speak of and is checked by half the OU meta. It's massively outclassed by Victini, Zard X and Talonflame as a phsyical Fire mon.. It can maybe give Infernape a run for its money but I'd say it's still outclassed due to Infernape's greater speed, versatility and SR neutrality.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Entei isn't much better. It has no recovery to deal with its Stealth Rock Weakness, no coverage to speak of and is checked by half the OU meta. It's massively outclassed by Victini, Zard X and Talonflame as a phsyical Fire mon.. It can maybe give Infernape a run for its money but I'd say it's still outclassed due to Infernape's greater speed, versatility and SR neutrality.

I would have to disagree because Entei's Sacred Fire punishes what would otherwise be good answers to Entei - Diancie, Gyarados, Azumarill, Gliscor, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Hippowdon, etc. I wouldn't at all say Entei is outclassed by Talonflame, since they fulfill totally different roles. Talonflame is more useful for setting up late game while Entei can come in early and start punching holes in the opponent's team. Of course Talonflame is ultimately better in OU, but it doesn't outclass Entei.

Victini, on the other hand, could be said to outclass Entei, though Victini is easily Pursuit trapped and more easily revenge killed after using V-Create. Zard-X is definitely better, but takes up a mega slot. So many teams would appreciate Entei's wall breaking support if another mega is being used.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I would have to disagree because Entei's Sacred Fire punishes what would otherwise be good answers to Entei - Diancie, Gyarados, Azumarill, Gliscor, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Hippowdon, etc. I wouldn't at all say Entei is outclassed by Talonflame, since they fulfill totally different roles. Talonflame is more useful for setting up late game while Entei can come in early and start punching holes in the opponent's team. Of course Talonflame is ultimately better in OU, but it doesn't outclass Entei.

Victini, on the other hand, could be said to outclass Entei, though Victini is easily Pursuit trapped and more easily revenge killed after using V-Create. Zard-X is definitely better, but takes up a mega slot. So many teams would appreciate Entei's wall breaking support if another mega is being used.

Keep in mind there were quite a few Fire Pokemon that I would of loved to mention, but didn't get a chance to.

Entei is another good optional Fire Pokemon in OU yes, but it's just its lack of versatility is the problem.

Back