• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Ultra Sun And Moon Guidebook Available For Preorder Now, Hints At New Islands

Z25

Team Player
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    The Pokémon Ultra Sun And Moon Guidebook has been listed online and may reveal some details on the game we don't officially know yet!

Years
  • New islands in Alola? I guess these games are pretty much sequels like B2/W2 were, after all. I'm also interested to see what will happen with the expanded Alola Dex, as in what new previous-gen Pokemon could be added to it.

Reactions: Z25

pkmin3033

That raises an irritating number of questions:

- How many new islands?
    - Are these major islands, or minor ones?
    - Will these be in addition to, or in replacement of, the existing ones?
    - If the former, will they have new Tapu Guardians? If the latter, will the Tapu Guardians be on those islands instead?
    - Does this mean anything for the game in terms of where/when it'll be set in relation to Sun/Moon?
    - Will there be new Trials on these islands? Or will we be seeing Gyms as some people hope?

...there are more questions I could ask, but those would be the main ones. This tells us absolutely nothing about USUM other than that it'll be bigger, and that's only if they keep the existing islands, which they may not, so really...all it tells us is that there will be new islands. You can't make many inferences from that alone...how frustrating.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    That raises an irritating number of questions:

- How many new islands?
    - Are these major islands, or minor ones?
    - Will these be in addition to, or in replacement of, the existing ones?
    - If the former, will they have new Tapu Guardians? If the latter, will the Tapu Guardians be on those islands instead?
    - Does this mean anything for the game in terms of where/when it'll be set in relation to Sun/Moon?
    - Will there be new Trials on these islands? Or will we be seeing Gyms as some people hope?

...there are more questions I could ask, but those would be the main ones. This tells us absolutely nothing about USUM other than that it'll be bigger, and that's only if they keep the existing islands, which they may not, so really...all it tells us is that there will be new islands. You can't make many inferences from that alone...how frustrating.

I could guarantee that the islands from the first game will stay, there's no way they'd remove them.

As for the rest of your questions, they all are good and we'll have to wait and see. I hope to see gyms and trials, and I doubt we'll get tapus that are new. Perhaps the presumably new totems guard this smaller but still big enough islands? I don't think they'll be main island sized, but I think they'll be bigger then eggsexcutor island was.

pkmin3033

I could guarantee that the islands from the first game will stay, there's no way they'd remove them.

As for the rest of your questions, they all are good and we'll have to wait and see. I hope to see gyms and trials, and I doubt we'll get tapus that are new. Perhaps the presumably new totems guard this smaller but still big enough islands? I don't think they'll be main island sized, but I think they'll be bigger then eggsexcutor island was.
    I'm not entirely sure of that...SM already pushed the 3DS to its limits, and if they're major islands you're talking aout potentially doubling the size of a game that was already hard-pressed on the original 3DS models.

With new major Alola islands would logically come new Tapus, because they're a major feature of the islands and it wouldn't make sense to have four unguarded. Even having a Tapu per 2 islands is a bit weird. We're unlikely to get four new Tapus on top of what we already have, so...I dunno. I can't see these being big enough to really warrant anything special...although if we did have so many islands then perhaps we'd finally get to Surf between them, which could make Alola feel absolutely massive this time around.

With all that said, the island shown briefly in the first trailer looked a lot like the first island in SM. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't take the others out still.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like the sort of thing GF would do...first half of Alola with SM, second half with USUM, Stars on Switch to bring both halves together. Maybe.

Years
  • I'm with Meyneth in that any new islands would have to be something minor like Exeggutor Island because adding new Tapus (or in fact, any completely new Pokemon) would cause compatibility issues with S/M on top of 3DS graphics already being pushed to the limit. Adding new Pokemon would not make sense right now, best you wait until 8th Gen for that.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    We are not getting new tapus just because there are new islands. New islands doesn't mean new tapu. We have to wait for gen 8 for new pokemon.

Anyway new islands sounds good to me.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Interesting to see this guide has 480 pages. SM guide had 351 pages for comparison which means this one has 120+ more at least, though idk whether that includes the Pokédex which I don't think the original SM guide did have. From the updated pull out map it sounds like we could be getting new islands, I mean why would they need to update it if there were no changes to the region?

pkmin3033

With official guides like this they *usually* split the content up between walkthrough and Pokedex - or annoyingly, walkthrough and side content/Pokedex - so I doubt the extra pages are for detailed Pokedex information...that'll come in a USUM Pokedex around December probably.

I can see a horrible inventory at the end of it though, with things like visuals of clothing, long trainer lists for the battle facilities, etc. More pages doesn't necessarily mean more game content...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have said it multiple times, I'll say it again.

1 of the main 8 Hawaiian Islands was never used. All other have been used in some way or another. Even the smaller ones. The 8th island is a fairly good size and is long. I was surprised they didn't use it, but they used the smaller islands for Aether and Exeggutor Island. You could also count the other small island as the one for the Poke Bean island ect.

The island I speak of is Molokai Island. It is also know as Friendly and Green Island.

We are not getting new tapus just because there are new islands. New islands doesn't mean new tapu. We have to wait for gen 8 for new pokemon.

Anyway new islands sounds good to me.

We don't know that and we don't know if there is a new event pokemon or not. There is slight evidence that there could be a 5th Tapu. One was banished from the islands and is also know for fire. We also can tell that We have Koko, Fini, Lele, and Bulu all and which have used a vowels, but a is not used. The Godess is Pele and her name could be Tapu Pala.

With how much they have changed stuff and how much they want to surprise us, we can't mark that out. And as I said, there is no way of saying if there is a new event pokemon.

Last edited:

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I have said it multiple times, I'll say it again.

1 of the main 8 Hawaiian Islands was never used. All other have been used in some way or another. Even the smaller ones. The 8th island is a fairly good size and is long. I was surprised they didn't use it, but they used the smaller islands for Aether and Exeggutor Island. You could also count the other small island as the one for the Poke Bean island ect.

The island I speak of is Molokai Island. It is also know as Friendly and Green Island.

We don't know that and we don't know if there is a new event pokemon or not. There is slight evidence that there could be a 5th Tapu. One was banished from the islands and is also know for fire. We also can tell that We have Koko, Fini, Lele, and Bulu all and which have used a vowels, but a is not used. The Godess is Pele and her name could be Tapu Pala.

With how much they have changed stuff and how much they want to surprise us, we can't mark that out. And as I said, there is no way of saying if there is a new event pokemon.

Remind me, where does it mention a fifth tapu at all? As far as I know, it doesn't.

The only time I remember destruction being mentioned is by Bullu destroying the mega mart.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017

No. We are not getting new pokemon. Not until gen 8. There will be no fifth tapu.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • This is pretty exciting to me, I was thrilled when they expanded on areas in BW2. I wonder how many more island's we'll get? But I also wonder if an updated map might mean changes to routes and cities/towns. Either way you hash it, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Gotta be a Battle Frontier.

Eventually it'll happen.

pkmin3033

A redesigned battle facility that could be reminiscent of the Battle Frontier or PWT isn't outside the realm of possibilities when you look at these things historically - the only reason we didn't get something like that Gen VI is because we didn't get a follow-up to XY, and these things are NEVER in the base games. I doubt it'll be exactly the same, but I sincerely doubt it'd just be an enhanced Battle Tree either...something entirely new, perhaps.

But I would hope that the extra pages of the guide are not just pages and pages of trainer info for this place regardless.

Years
  • I do hope that like Meyneth said, that the guidebook's extra pages isn't just useless info that would have no point in such a book.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Remind me, where does it mention a fifth tapu at all? As far as I know, it doesn't.

The only time I remember destruction being mentioned is by Bullu destroying the mega mart.

Did I ever say we were? I said it is possible. I didn't say we were getting anything. You just can't assume stuff anymore. It isn't possible with how they are trying to surprise us.

We may and we may not. Not once did I ever say we were. i said it was possible and why I thought ti was possible.

We are missing one of the 8 main Hawaiian Islands. A fairly large one at that. That is where all of this comes from.

The Tapus are based on the Tiki Gods of Hawaii, there are 5 well known ones. We got the main 4, but there is a 5th in mythology.

Back