• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3D Films

Years
  • I've only seen one movie in 3D - Alice in Wonderland. While not a great movie (although I have a soft spot for Tim Burton so I still enjoyed it) it wasn't really a great introduction to 3D. Things looked kinda blurry. I found myself taking the glasses off every now and then just to see if it was the glasses or the movie or my eyes. Overall it didn't make me feel like I was getting anything extra for the extra few dollars I spent.

Maybe I'm kind of a Luddite, but I really don't see what purpose 3D has. Cat Dog's example of 3D done right makes me a little curious, but really not curious enough to seek it out. I'm happy with the technology the movies have now.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Avatar really turned me on to 3D movies, I saw it twice in theaters because not only did I like the movie but I think they did some really amazing effects.

Some movies just shouldn't be done in 3D, period. I saw Lion King 3D because it's my favorite Disney movie and I'm a huge fan of it, but to be honest I couldn't even really see the difference between 2D and 3D for that movie :\

If it's a high pumped adrenaline-rush action movie then it is usually pretty nice; I wish I saw The Avengers in 3D, but ah well.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I've only seen one movie in 3D - Alice in Wonderland. While not a great movie (although I have a soft spot for Tim Burton so I still enjoyed it) it wasn't really a great introduction to 3D. Things looked kinda blurry. I found myself taking the glasses off every now and then just to see if it was the glasses or the movie or my eyes. Overall it didn't make me feel like I was getting anything extra for the extra few dollars I spent.

Maybe I'm kind of a Luddite, but I really don't see what purpose 3D has. Cat Dog's example of 3D done right makes me a little curious, but really not curious enough to seek it out. I'm happy with the technology the movies have now.
    From what I remember, Alice wasn't shot in 3D. It was a conversion.

Whenever I plan on going to the movie theatre I check a few things first online:
    • Was a so-called IMAX movie really shot in IMAX (at least partially)? Or, at the very least is it a very high quality DMR print. Now, technically, pretty much almost all non-IMAX films billed as IMAX go through the DMR process. But, some handle it a lot better than others. So, read up first. Iron Man 2 looked horrible. Skyfall looks amazing. And if there's no DMR at all? Avoid at all costs. When I was younger I saw one of The Lord of the Rings movies in an IMAX theatre. The thing is, there is no such thing. So, what I got was a big blurry mess.
    • Was a 3D movie actually shot in 3D or was it a post-conversion? If converted, avoid. If digital animation, it's okay. So, Alice would fail here.

As for the dimming on 3D flicks, it is bad if you notice it (like if you've seen the 2D version too. If you're just seeing one, no harm in the 3D version). But, this should be solved fairly soon. As we move into films with higher frame rates, we'll be able to have bright 3D prints as well

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't care that much about 3D movies, the only thing that bothers me is the extra $$$ I have to pay in order to go see them. Me, being stingier than Mr Krabs, refuse to pay the extra $$$ to see these 3D movies when glorious 2D (is that the correct term for non-3D movies? The movies are still in 3D while...you know....not popping out of the screen) will do just fine.

I liked Avatar in 3D, as did most of the thread, but that's really the only movie I can recall seeing that utilised 3D to a classy extent. I saw Titanic in 3D as well, that wasn't worth the extra $5 I had to pay :/ Wow! The ship! It's slightly larger than the original 1997 ship! Wow! Jack and Rose! They're not even dying in 3D! Goodbye!

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
    Years
  • Every 3D movie I saw wasn't really worth the extra dollars I paid for to see it in 3D, and in most cases ... it should just be left as a normal standard movie. I like 4D movies, however! It's basically in 3D, (they're pretty decent) and they spray water or what ever at you, when something happens in the movie, so if someone jumped in say, a puddle, the water would look like its going at you and then the cinema would spray water at you from the ceiling. It's fun.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I don't care that much about 3D movies, the only thing that bothers me is the extra $$$ I have to pay in order to go see them. Me, being stingier than Mr Krabs, refuse to pay the extra $$$ to see these 3D movies when glorious 2D (is that the correct term for non-3D movies? The movies are still in 3D while...you know....not popping out of the screen) will do just fine.

I liked Avatar in 3D, as did most of the thread, but that's really the only movie I can recall seeing that utilised 3D to a classy extent. I saw Titanic in 3D as well, that wasn't worth the extra $5 I had to pay :/ Wow! The ship! It's slightly larger than the original 1997 ship! Wow! Jack and Rose! They're not even dying in 3D! Goodbye!
    I wouldn't imagine Titanic would look particularly 3D considering it wasn't shot in 3D. Avoid evil money-grabbing conversions

Years
  • I saw Avatar in 3D, and it gave me a headache. Not really keen on seeing anymore in 3D either. I'd much rather see them in an IMAX format like The Dark Knight or something like that.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I wouldn't imagine Titanic would look particularly 3D considering it wasn't shot in 3D. Avoid evil money-grabbing conversions

"Avoid evil money-grabbing conversions" - TRIFORCE89
    If senior quotes were a thing in New Zealand, I would have that as mine. At least, theoretically.

I had a feeling Titanic 3D wouldn't be worth it, but I had to experiment, me being the cinema adventurer of my country and all that. Of course, my feelings were proved right :/

Back