• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen 3rd Gen Underrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
    Hoenn did a magnificent job making new Pokemon, made unique features such as the creation of Contests, and pulled a brilliant performance in the storyline department. A fantastic installment to the franchise, and probably the best region to follow up Johto.

Despite some of its flaws, whatever. Hoenn was great. I'd pay for a remake any day.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2012
    Generation III is everything but underrated. In fact, it's extremely overhyped. Have you been to Youtube lately? Videos regarding R/S/E are full of comments like "This is the best" and "next gens suck" and so on. Whereas those regarding D/P/Pt have comments like "this sucks", "Generation III is better", "The Pokemon look like Digimon*" etc.

*Like Hoenn Pokemon don't look like them? As if...

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that...

Generation III was released when Pokemon stopped being a fad at the beginning of the millennium, so it was largely ignored by many people when Pokemon was still considered an old fad, so no one really wanted to associate with it.

By the time Generation IV came around, some people had gotten over this outlook and decided to try the games again, and these people, while liking Generation IV, always saw the previous games through the goggles of nostalgia, and Generation III was not in it. They looked at Gold and Silver, and thought that those games were truly the peak of the series.

You have no idea how many Generation 2 fans that I heard before I actually played any of the Johto games (I started playing Pokemon around Generation IV), I was disappointed with the lack of things to do in HeartGold/SoulSilver compared to Platinum, but not to the point of not completing them. (I have about 250 hours on SoulSilver) I still think that Generation 2 was the most overrated when you consider how many people think it is still the pinnacle of the series.

I actually never tried a Generation III game until a little before Black/White came out, and that's when I played Pokemon Emerald. I have to say that I still think it was more fun than every other Pokemon game I played. It had more to do, the Battle Frontier was the best in the series, there was the oh-so awesome Dive TM that turned that surfing routes into something that was actually awesome. (Really long epic underwater routes without random encounters, secrets everywhere) The contests were better done in Emerald than in Gen IV since it was never anyone's game, the actual Harvest-moon style planting that was in Gen IV came from Gen III, there was the multiple versions of the bikes which would introduce interesting mechanics, as well as make things interesting when you had to get to certain locations. The locations were inventive, like the Sea crater town, or the semi-jungle town... There were many effects that were lost in the newer games, simple things like seeing clouds reflected off the water and when you would run across a bridge and see your shadow way below. The random mini-game locations were fun as well, I could keep going all day.

For what you got, I still think that Generation III was harshly underrated for what it was.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Although you make good points, this thread hadn't been posted in since 2011. :( Please don't revive threads over a month old. Feel free to make a new one if you'd like though!

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back