• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen 3rd Gen Underrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Do you think 3rd Gen is underrated?

I do. Most people play R/B/Y/G/S/C for nostalgia and others play D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W just because they're new. I think 3rd Gen needs more love.

What do you think?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I agree, really. Gen III is right in the middle at this point, now that there are five generations. However, something I've noticed is that during gen IV is when gen III got the most hate. And now almost everyone is saying "oh man I want an RS remake so bad!" and "man gen IV sucks so much I can't even play it anymore." Sound familiar? Last generation, we loved DPPt, wanted GS remakes, and hated RSE. Now we love BW, want RS remakes, and hate DPPt. It's a pattern really.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    I agree with Sydian. It's like the Pokemon games have their own pattern about how the game grow in people heart, together with the flow of time.
    So, the Remakes is the last determinant of 3rd Gen will be loved or not, so let's hope we have a great RSE remakes.

Last edited:

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
    Years
    I agree with Sydian. It's like the Pokemon games have their own pattern about how the game grow in people heart.
    So, the Remakes is the last determinant of Generations will be loved or not, so let's hope we have a great RSE remakes.
    ^This, I'll rage out Pokemon if they make horrible ones.[/sarcasm]. Anyways, agree to above posters, they do seem to have a pattern for some players, while others don't (Like me, I still like 3rd, 4th & 5th Gen games).

Years
    I really like the 3 th gen. Sapphire was my first own game and I think R/S/E and FR/LG are the best games ever made, not that the other Pokémon games are bad, because I really like them all and it's really hard to choose, but the 3 th gen it really one of the best gens.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    don't remake Ruby and Sapphire

remake Emerald instead
    I want to battle a ridiculously overpowered Steven Stone...

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    I was a fan from the beggining. I first got it 3 years ago because my friend because I gave him something (can't remember). I played it to death. The sticker is scraping off due to me carrying it everywhere. It's either plunked into my DS or GBA. But I think it's feeling left out because my Ruby is taking all the glory....

AllentheGuitarist

I don't even, sir.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I may be a minority: I love the 1st and 2nd gens like no other, and 3rd gen is quite good. However, and here's what makes me different, I really don't like 4th gen and absolutely loathe 5th gen.

Am I the only one?

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    FR/LG are underrated for sure... R/S/E, I'm not so sure about. I still hear plenty of love for those games so people still think pretty highly of them. R/S/E, for me at least, really hasn't survived the test of time; of the older games, they're the ones I'm least likely to play through again.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I think it's underrated because I rarely hear it being mentioned and I easily forget the 3rd generation.
    I personally loved the game, but I still prefer the ones such as Fire red, Leaf green, Platinum and Pokemon White.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    FR/LG are underrated for sure... R/S/E, I'm not so sure about. I still hear plenty of love for those games so people still think pretty highly of them. R/S/E, for me at least, really hasn't survived the test of time; of the older games, they're the ones I'm least likely to play through again.

I agree with this. Although I played through Ruby again a few years ago or so.

It used to be that I was hearing "G/S/C are the best!" all of the time, but now I've really seen a big rise in the "R/S/E are the best!" crowd. They've all come out to support the possibility of remakes. Also I suppose, the ones that played them at the same age I played R/B/Y are starting to post on forums.

I don't think they're really all of that underrated. However, I never thought they were underrated. lol If anything, I'm beginning to think that it is D/P/Pt that are underrated.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't think they're underrated. In my opinion, 3rd gen had the least interesting set of new pokémon and the games took away some nice things from G/S/C. Like day/night, days of the week and people calling to give you things. Plus, Hoenn was where the legendaries started to get ugly and scary rather than beautiful and mysterious.

So I think they did a sidestep with the third generation's mechanics and pokémon. Looking back, it seems like a stall before the flashy 4th gen.

BUT. I loved the music from the Hoenn games. Often better than I liked the 4th gen music. And the land itself, the Hoenn region, it was pretty nicely designed. With a desert, rain, underwater tunnels... quite a step up from 2nd gen.

All in all, I still won't be joining the crowd who screams for Hoenn remakes now. But I do think they will come.

Years
    I think people don't like this game much, because of how difficult it is to beat the E4.

That's my opinion, and how I feel about 3rd gen

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    I like 3. gen. Not as much as 2. and 5. gen (I seem to be in minority to like a lot of the 5. gen pokemon :I), but the landscape was beautiful for its time, and it introduced a ton of mechanics.
    I didn't like the pokemon much though :l (with is definitely not me thinking the originals where best, Im a big fan of 4./5. gen pokemon too)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    3rd generation is definitely underrated. 3rd generation brought us things like abilities, icons for each Pokemon, and an accessable PC system. Plus, Hoenn brought us some of the best pokemon around, such as Salamence and Metagross.

NTA

Where?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2012
    I don't think its fair for people to bad mouth gen 3.... When I started playing the gen 4 games, I remember people a lot of different people using the same kind of Pokemon, mainly just to win battles instead of just using their favorite Pokemon most of the time. I'm always gonna be a fan of gen 3 but I still hate those Ninjask-substituters

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2011
    I only play Gen 3 games. Everything else is just kinda there, doesn't really interest me.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I love Gen 3. The Hoenn games were fantastic and inventive, and the Kanto games made me feel like I was 9 again (when I was 13 lol) - but I can't make myself play anything pre-gen 4 anymore, after you see the new graphics there's just no going back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back