• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: A new trailer for Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution!

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Yeah, this doesn't bode well on two fronts. 1) This smacks of remaking movie#1 x 9000 and 2) Movie#20 and Movie#21 had Ash traveling on his own before other cast members join him for their respective movie before going on their merry way. Here in Movie#22, Brock and Misty appear to be traveling with him so the big questions they have to answer are how and why they're traveling with Ash? CGI looks to be solid though but those two glaring things I cited they have to answer.

Years
Why does it look like Robot Chicken? That was my 1st thought.

I wasn't fan of the last 2 movies and have yet to see them, but at least they tried to do something new. This looks like GF is once again trying to milk on people that were fans during Gen I (the same people that played Pokémon GO when playing it was considered cool) with nostalgia. I'll wait for more info, but if this is just re-telling of the first movie without any added value, I'll stick to the original.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years

I wasn't fan of the last 2 movies and have yet to see them, but at least they tried to do something new. This looks like GF is once again trying to milk on people that were fans during Gen I (the same people that played Pokémon GO when playing it was considered cool) with nostalgia. I'll wait for more info, but if this is just re-telling of the first movie without any added value, I'll stick to the original.

Eh I got a Wallace and Gromit feel over Robot Chicken but it might as well be with the apparent recycled plot of Movie#1. Hell even the Nurse Joy from that movie is there in the exact same outfit. Only thing that might be different is that Mewtwo Mega Evolves... hence Evolution. I'm sorry but their Kanto love affair has hit critical mass. If this movie doesn't bomb in Japan, they got a serious freaking screw loose over there and is yet another black eye towards SuMo(no movie involving the cast).

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
I'm getting a Robot Chicken vibe from this. I'm not sure whether it looks good yet, but I'm interested in seeing it.

It'll never top the original though.

Last edited:
Years
I'm all for revisiting Kanto/Gen 1 (if only for nostalgia's sake) but if this is going to be a more-or-less shot-for-shot remake of the original? eh... I'd much rather they did something like remaster the original (and maybe re-release in theaters) than completely re-animate in CGI that, I don't know, doesn't even look that great to me, it kinda just looks like footage from a game or the kind of lower-quality CGI they use for animated TV shows (or maybe I'm just getting tired of CGI lol)

Last edited:
Years

I dont think Game Freak has anything to do with the movies.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
So basically it's a CGI Remake of Movie 1?

That's... just... I don't even know how to describe it.

It almost makes me not even want to watch it.

:irate-stare:

Last edited:
Years
>Remake of M1
>Art style looks like claymation

Not looking forward to it. I would have liked to see a new story for Mewtwo but here we will simply get a remake of the first movie hence we know how the movie will play out and the animation is just garbage. A new original story would have been so much better but nope, they had to remake such a glorious movie like the first one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • they/them
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Shouldn't judge a movie without actually seeing it....

I'm not a fan of the style at all. Knowing me I'm still going to watch it but yeah not impressed so far.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023

YO. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.

People can say whatever they want, but pokemon is best at the cell-shaded style. I saw people saying this is what the switch game should look like, but I'm in the camp that disagrees Too much CGI makes all the pokemon and people look more plasticy and like dolls rather than anime/ fantasy characters. It's just really uncanny. A cartoony style ages much better. I have no doubt in several years this is going to look extremely dated.

Years
don't like it so far. is it a remake or a retelling? i'll search for that later but so far, not impressed with anything

Years
Man, i am hype for Remake too. I wonder how it will differ from the first original film.

Also, i am hoping FlowBack will peform an ending theme of the film.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The CGI from the recently announced Dragon Quest movie looks better than this, and it'll only further enforce the boomers' hate for CG animation and continue their nostalgic fondness for 2D animation in spite of that form also having its own faults.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
What I loved the most about the last two movies is that they were modern takes of older concepts--especially I Choose You!!, which saw Ash starting his journey with new characters and a new conflict surrounded by a wide variety of Pokémon, not just gen 1. I was hoping for this movie to be similar: Mewtwo Strikes Back but told from a fresh new perspective, with some new characters and utilizing the vast numbers of new Pokémon available to them now, with maybe a few new plot elements as well. But it really does appear to be just questionable 3D models overlayed on top of the original film, which is incredibly boring to me. They did such a fantastic job with The Power of Us (to the point where it's my favorite Pokémon movie), and I was looking forward to anything brought forth next, so while I'm still going to keep my eye on this, I have to admit my focus is fading with this trailer.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
And let's be honest, we're only interested in this remake is because of Armored Mewtwo since the movie's merchandise are keeping its design a complete secret despite us knowing what it originally looked like, making us speculate it would be a brand new design that's a tie-in to the rumored armored evolutions mechanic for Sword & Shield.

Years
  • Age 31
  • they/them
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
As someone pointed out on Twitter this really feels like its pandering more to the west than the east audience. The west is more about the CGI these days and the release of this movie falls on the english anniversary of the anime and not the japanese anniversary (or something like that?) While this might not completely be the case it has some merit, I think.

Back