• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Pokémon Sword and Shield Soundtrack Review

bobandbill

one more time
Years
PokeCommunity Daily got a review copy of the SwSh games! But like most other sites, we got the review on the day. So how to make our review more interesting to the reader?

We've opted for multiple review articles, each one examining a different aspect of the games. To start with, here is my take on the SwSh soundtrack. And when I say that, I mean I've written a, dare I say, extensive four page article about what I discovered while listening to the OST, why I felt some songs were stronger than others, and even poked at the sound design.

I hope it's of interest! Expect other articles, including updates to older ones with post-release info, later.

Years
👍 Thank you for this!! Was a good read even if it took a while, ahah. I'm a big fan of a lot of the tracks this time around - especially Marnie, Hop, and Oleana's battle themes, along with Wyndon Stadium. Agree with the review overall =)

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today
shit that was a long article lmao

I think the soundtrack and creature/character design are the only things I can actually make an opinion about, since I didn't play the game and may not do it any time soon or maybe ever. That being said, I didn't listen to the entire OST until now aside from the Battle Themes, so I was very surprised with some tracks, especially Stow-on-Side's theme which may be one of my favorite tracks of the game.

In an overall listen, the OST is really good, with a lot of great tracks but also some weak spots like Postwick's horribly pitched theme and Champion's theme, which is a total mess of chaotic-hype-building chanting and the all-happy hall-of-fame theme and that mix doesn't work at all imo.

My favorite tracks are probably Route 1, Wild Area 2 (didn't think I'll find bag pipes enjoyable honestly), Stow-on-Side, Oleana's Theme, Rose's Theme and Team Yell's Theme.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
I love this analysis, I really do. But I disagree with the assessment of the latter-half of Bede's theme, how it's stated that the brass and guitar clash with each other. The brass is very evidently meant to be more percussive than anything, so it works just fine. As much as I love Bede's theme, I can agree it is extremely busy, but I always felt that worked in its favor. I would like to see if someone could improve it though while keeping the tone and mood; that would certainly be interesting to hear. :o

And I really, really like how Hop's semifinals theme has so much more depth to it than his regular one does. It really portrays his character development over the course of the story really well! Hop's theme generally reminds me of Hau's theme tbh, which makes sense. They're both pretty cheerful, optimistic characters. My heart broke when I saw how crestfallen Hop got at being beaten by Bede ; v ;

The wild battle theme could be wayy better. It really, really could. I'm glad, though, it isn't as abysmal as Sun and Moon's was (that was just a giant mess). My favorite wild battle themes have got to be from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova but in no particular order. Kalos' was good, too! It seemed evident that it was made in the spirit of Kanto / Hoenn tbh. Galar's wild battle theme is like a slightly improved version of Alola's.

Also I really like how Team Yell and Marnie's themes have the same intro piece. It really ties them together, but it does sound weird at the intro to Marnie's theme and I'm sure they could have altered it slightly to match up better. To be fair though, it does end up making the beginning part of Marnie's battle theme sound much more melodic somehow, in comparison anyway.

With Rose's theme, I can see your point. However it does give the composition a much more chaotic and erratic feel over all, which I honestly feel is really indicative to his character. I'm still unsure as to Rose's intentions in the story, honestly, as they seemed to have left it pretty open. He seemed like a well-intentioned Chairman that got this insane idea in his head because he truly thought the end of his actions would justify his means, despite how bat**** crazy they seem to us. The reason I say he seems like a truly well-intentioned character is because he brought up Bede from an orphanage. With this in mind, his theme could just be indicative of the dramatic, dire nature of the situation at hand.
On the opposite side of the same coin, though, you could also use these points to prove that he really was just an ill-intentioned, evil person: perhaps he let the power of being a Chairman get to his head, and it seemed kinda fishy how he used Bede like he did. I know Bede was a really misled character, but I do have a feeling that Rose pushed him to get him more wishing stars by any means possible, then eliminated him from the gym challenge to save face. That was kinda cold.

Oh! And I really liked how v3 of Eternatus' theme sounded like something you'd hear from a cliche shonen anime.

I'm glad to see an article like this! I have some really strong feelings about the soundtrack so it makes me happy to see that others do, too. And whether or not some of the themes are widely thought of as being catchy--such as Piers' theme--they all fit the corresponding character / scenario / settings extremely well. I really feel like they slacked off with the route themes, though. They mostly just stuck with the two themes you hear out in the wild area. :\

One more thing. YEAH BOYO, YOU BETTER NOT BE TALKIN **** ABOUT THE BATTLE TOWER THEME. >;O Joking aside, I loved it so freaking much. Just...the whole composition SCREAMS Toby Fox.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
shit that was a long article lmao

I think the soundtrack and creature/character design are the only things I can actually make an opinion about, since I didn't play the game and may not do it any time soon or maybe ever. That being said, I didn't listen to the entire OST until now aside from the Battle Themes, so I was very surprised with some tracks, especially Stow-on-Side's theme which may be one of my favorite tracks of the game.

In an overall listen, the OST is really good, with a lot of great tracks but also some weak spots like Postwick's horribly pitched theme and Champion's theme, which is a total mess of chaotic-hype-building chanting and the all-happy hall-of-fame theme and that mix doesn't work at all imo.

My favorite tracks are probably Route 1, Wild Area 2 (didn't think I'll find bag pipes enjoyable honestly), Stow-on-Side, Oleana's Theme, Rose's Theme and Team Yell's Theme.
Yes, it was long, haha.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I also agree it's got a lot of hits and some misses. No disagreements with you besides Route 1 being weaker for me personally, compared to others.

I love this analysis, I really do. But I disagree with the assessment of the latter-half of Bede's theme, how it's stated that the brass and guitar clash with each other. The brass is very evidently meant to be more percussive than anything, so it works just fine. As much as I love Bede's theme, I can agree it is extremely busy, but I always felt that worked in its favor. I would like to see if someone could improve it though while keeping the tone and mood; that would certainly be interesting to hear. :o
Each to their own, and I can see what you mean there. I suppose a busy theme does suit Bede in his storyline and characterisation too, but I still feel it could be dialed back a touch.
And I really, really like how Hop's semifinals theme has so much more depth to it than his regular one does. It really portrays his character development over the course of the story really well! Hop's theme generally reminds me of Hau's theme tbh, which makes sense. They're both pretty cheerful, optimistic characters. My heart broke when I saw how crestfallen Hop got at being beaten by Bede ; v ;
Hop's upgraded battle hteme is hella cool. That salsa!
The wild battle theme could be wayy better. It really, really could. I'm glad, though, it isn't as abysmal as Sun and Moon's was (that was just a giant mess). My favorite wild battle themes have got to be from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova but in no particular order. Kalos' was good, too! It seemed evident that it was made in the spirit of Kanto / Hoenn tbh. Galar's wild battle theme is like a slightly improved version of Alola's.
Ah, good to see more people not like SM's wild battle theme much, haha. Yes, I agree - Galar's is an improvement, but not by much.
Also I really like how Team Yell and Marnie's themes have the same intro piece. It really ties them together, but it does sound weird at the intro to Marnie's theme and I'm sure they could have altered it slightly to match up better. To be fair though, it does end up making the beginning part of Marnie's battle theme sound much more melodic somehow, in comparison anyway.
Hmm, fair point - a different variation or take on the intro for Marnie's theme would have helped it stand out more.
With Rose's theme, I can see your point. However it does give the composition a much more chaotic and erratic feel over all, which I honestly feel is really indicative to his character. I'm still unsure as to Rose's intentions in the story, honestly, as they seemed to have left it pretty open. He seemed like a well-intentioned Chairman that got this insane idea in his head because he truly thought the end of his actions would justify his means, despite how bat**** crazy they seem to us. The reason I say he seems like a truly well-intentioned character is because he brought up Bede from an orphanage. With this in mind, his theme could just be indicative of the dramatic, dire nature of the situation at hand.
On the opposite side of the same coin, though, you could also use these points to prove that he really was just an ill-intentioned, evil person: perhaps he let the power of being a Chairman get to his head, and it seemed kinda fishy how he used Bede like he did. I know Bede was a really misled character, but I do have a feeling that Rose pushed him to get him more wishing stars by any means possible, then eliminated him from the gym challenge to save face. That was kinda cold.
I kinda feel that both of these interpretations of Rose are valid but fairly different, which suggests to me it wasn't made clear enough. The story felt rushed, and some things only got told to you late on. More time spent on these aspects would have made it much more compelling.
I'm glad to see an article like this! I have some really strong feelings about the soundtrack so it makes me happy to see that others do, too. And whether or not some of the themes are widely thought of as being catchy--such as Piers' theme--they all fit the corresponding character / scenario / settings extremely well. I really feel like they slacked off with the route themes, though. They mostly just stuck with the two themes you hear out in the wild area. :\
Thanks for commenting! Glad others are enjoying reading it, considering the time it took me, haha. Agreed on the route themes being lacking overall, too.
One more thing. YEAH BOYO, YOU BETTER NOT BE TALKIN **** ABOUT THE BATTLE TOWER THEME. >;O Joking aside, I loved it so freaking much. Just...the whole composition SCREAMS Toby Fox.
Yeah, it does have a rather distinct feel to it. Might be something they should do more often in future games @ letting guests compose tracks.

Back