• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Well, since 4kids hasn't really done anything completely horrible [using Cardcaptors as comparison], I can't really say I'm against them. Besides, as far as I know, they're not really forcing us to watch it (by that, no C&D letters to subbers), so I'm not really against them so much. Most of the stuff 4kids does I don't watch actively anyways

Lets see....
    they sensored the crap out of most episodes, the changed the opening theme into this piece of crap rap song, and they took out all the bgm's and replaced them.
    I'm not sure if you know this or not, but getting the soundtrack, opening and ending themes actually costs money to be able to use. It's the same reason Funimation will occasionally do dub OPs and EDs for their shows.

one question though, why does 4kids call riceballs, sandwhiches in pokemon? in fact, why do they take the time to edit the rice balls into actual sandwhiches later in the dubbed series?
    Riceballs aren't common food in America.....don't ask me otherwise >>

IMO Saban stands my favorite kids dubbing company with Digimon and Power Rangers

Meta-Morph

A Mysterious Person Appeared!
    Years
    All I can say is they did a pretty good job, except for one thing called...

ONE PIECE.

I'm sorry, but they destroyed it. Thank God it's cancelled. I'll explain for anyone why, okay? Just ask me.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Id say only pokemon is for little kids, naruto and one peice have quite a bit more blood and gore than pokemon. And you cant really compare japanese standards and western standards for violence. theyre different.

What was that I was saying about you only watching it for the violence? You're just prissy because the blood and gore was removed.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The clue is in the name "4kids" it's aimed at kids, although that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by older people aswell. All those haters are just taking, what's essentially a show that's been edited slightly so it can be enjoyed by western children, far too seriously. 4kids isn't that bad, there are just some neckbeards that get angry about them for some reason.

And when I say "some neckbeards" I just mean kabigon.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    The clue is in the name "4kids" it's aimed at kids, although that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by older people aswell. All those haters are just taking, what's essentially a show that's been edited slightly so it can be enjoyed by western children, far too seriously. 4kids isn't that bad, there are just some neckbeards that get angry about them for some reason.

And when I say "some neckbeards" I just mean kabigon.

Exactly, a couple of e-terrorists get their rightousness on just because they want to prove they're bigger fans or whatevs. Like others have said, if it wasn't for 4Kids most people in the West wouldn't even know these animes exist.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I will not lay off of them. Well okay, I really haven't ever been onto them all of that much, but what they did to One Piece still has kept EVERY single person I know in real life that likes anime away from One Piece, even when I'm sure that they would like it.

If they would have never got One Piece (and FUNimation had got it from the start) I wouldn't have anything against them. But seriously, a series like One Piece quite simply did not need to get a horrible dub like that. The series has got enough unfounded hatred without it.

And for those of you saying we wouldn't know anime existed, well I found Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z around the same time. So that's false.

That's why I want to move to Japan to watch REAL Anime, not english-dubbed

Is this sarcasm or something?

Pretty much every anime is released with Japanese audio subtitled on DVD's here.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years

Haha you said Bagon! LOL (Worst joke/pun ever.)

On an actual related note, I don't bash them because I find no reason to watch the Pokemon anime, the games are so much better. Now if Ash actually bothered to evolve his Pokemon. [Here's looking at you PIKACHU.]

*cough* um disagreement Ash has evolved his pokemon and why should he evolve pikachu? if he evolved pikachu, he wouldn't be able to sit on Ashs shoulder anymore ;_; and plus they can't evolve Pikachu seeing as Pikachu is one of the main characters and they have never ever killed off the main character before.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I will not lay off of them. Well okay, I really haven't ever been onto them all of that much, but what they did to One Piece still has kept EVERY single person I know in real life that likes anime away from One Piece, even when I'm sure that they would like it.

If they would have never got One Piece (and FUNimation had got it from the start) I wouldn't have anything against them. But seriously, a series like One Piece quite simply did not need to get a horrible dub like that. The series has got enough unfounded hatred without it.

And for those of you saying we wouldn't know anime existed, well I found Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z around the same time. So that's false.

Is this sarcasm or something?

Pretty much every anime is released with Japanese audio subtitled on DVD's here.

I'd of NEVER watched One Piece if I hadn't seen the 4kids dub, this is the same as a lot of my irl friends who also watch One Piece now.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Yeah I really don't have a problem with 4Kids. They had one of the best voice actors in the bunch. Like for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh for instance. The voice work was awesome. I wasn't into One Piece in the first place, so it didn't bother me that they edit it. They did what it was right for broadcast. But I do think they went a bit overboard.

Toei found this out and 4Kids had to take back One Piece to them. Now Funi have One Piece and everyone is happy. But still don't hate on 4Kids for that. Look all the other anime they brought out. They did a great job! I wouldn't have watched anime if it wasn't for 4Kids. Because I will never knew about Pokemon...

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
    To all the people saying to lay off 4Kids, I will gladly tell you to screw off. 4Kids ruined Pokemon for the longest time, they ruined One Piece until another company decided enough was enough, they created a mediocre show cash-in on Sonic the Hedgehog, they RAPED Yu-Gi-Oh and all it's spin-offs, and they thoroughly raped a whole other bunch of Anime that I can't even think about.

I know people that have completely given up on Anime thanks to 4Kids, so don't tell me that they haven't done some damage. Don't try using the excuse 'Well, they brought Anime to the west' or anything like that, because I could care less. I would have preferred that 4Kids not bring Anime to the west, because now we're stuck with terrible voice actors, the 'Americanization' of Anime, ect, ect.

All in all, 4Kids sucks, and I hope their stock crashes and burns, so that real Anime companies, ones that won't completely destroy their shows to feed their greed, can take over.

It's not even like I hate all English Dubs of Anime. Some of them are practically perfect, like the (in my opinion) dubs of Code Geass, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist (2003 and Brotherhood), Elfen Lied, Death Note, BLEACH, and a few others that I may have forgotten to mention.

P.S: 4Kids should have aired the Porygon Seizure episode. It would have been hilarious.

4Kids voice actors are the best there are.

You sir, are on some serious drugs. Mind telling me the name of your dealer? Some voice actors are great, even though they work for 4Kids. Dan Green is one of them. Most of them though... not so much.

So? The intro, although not ideal, wasn't awful. And the dub ost wasn't awful either. Next reason please.

Once again, drugs. Lay off of 'em.

LOL
    and you say 4kids butchered One Piece? If you can't pick up on One Piece's blatant messages about friendship, following your dreams, living without regrets and respecting others then you really have to right to slant 4Kids over their dub of it.

Well, seeing as 4Kids rapes every Anime they dub with some friendship speeches, I think, after the fiftieth one (in Yu-Gi-Oh alone), I got pretty damn sick of it. Follow your dreams is okay, and so is living with regrets, and respecting others. But you know what? 4Kids could have gotten those messages across without destroying Anime series after series. I couldn't even watch the English Yu-Gi-Oh franchise, in fear that I would actually feel the urge to end my own life.

No one had a problem when MJ done it.

That was completely uncalled for. That other guy was mentioning decent points in the argument, and then you insult the King of Pop. Real mature. Wanna have a laugh at Elvis' death too? How about about Billy Mays?

Like others have said, if it wasn't for 4Kids most people in the West wouldn't even know these animes exist.

You say that as if it was a bad thing. I prefer the days where Anime had a cult-like following, where only people that cared enough to look for it, could find it. Now, we've got screaming ninjas wearing orange (of all colors), people quoting (and usually doing a terrible job of it) Anime in real life, or in their signature on forums, and people horribly bastardizing Anime in the U.S.A.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I love how you, instead of discussing maturely, decided it was a better idea to insult my opinion. The funimation One Piece is horrible, all the volice acting is abysmal, it doesn't feel like One Piece. They've done a far worse job than 4kids ever done.

That was completely uncalled for. That other guy was mentioning decent points in the argument, and then you insult the King of Pop. Real mature. Wanna have a laugh at Elvis' death too? How about about Billy Mays?
    But I didn't laugh at MJ's death, I made a comment about changing ethnicities to try and lighten the mood after that guy went awol on this thread.

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
    I love how you, instead of discussing maturely, decided it was a better idea to insult my opinion. The funimation One Piece is horrible, all the volice acting is abysmal, it doesn't feel like One Piece. They've done a far worse job than 4kids ever done.

Mind pointing out the insults? If you're going to say 'You said I was on drugs, which I find insulting', I can easily say that you mocked (and yes, in my opinion, you mocked) Michael Jackson's operation.

I never said that Funimation's Dub wasn't horrible. I said that it got taken away from 4Kids, which is completely true. Funimation came, took it from 4Kids, and decided to dub it themselves. I never once said that the One Piece dub from Funimation didn't suck.

But I didn't laugh at MJ's death, I made a comment about changing ethnicities to try and lighten the mood after that guy went awol on this thread.

Here's the thing though; people can find comments about that insulting. I am one of those people. Hence, it didn't lighten the mood.

P.S: You only focused on two points of my entire message, leading me to believe that you have no real argument against anything else I've said.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    4Kids sexually harasses animated cartoons?
    I sure hope they used a condom D:
    but srsly

4kids made anime more popular, its been said a million times, but its true
    The weeaboo fantards are a minority, believe it or not. a vocal minority. but a minority.

They did some good dubs, they have great voice acting, not all of the time but they still do

They do replace music, but getting the music costs money ya' know?
    which is why some companies change the theme songs or dub them.
    and the music they do put isn't terrible. Pokemon had some good theme songs
    and Mew Mew Power had some great music too.
    4kids changes things. that doesn't make it any less enjoyable
    of coarse your mileage may vary

Lay off a company that dubs CHILDREN'S CARTOONS
    they're making childrens cartoons more suitable for children. I blame those pesky moral guardians myself.

Its not like they're gonna come around and dub something like Death Note, or something
    which is clearly not for children
    and they wouldn't touch it with a fifty foot pole ;<

4kids hasn't even done really any animu lately anyways o_o

And anyways, how exactly does dubbing a Japanese cartoon in English make it RUINED FOREVER? you certainly aren't being forced to watch it, or buy their products.
    you can go on with your merry life, and watch something else.

while drug-addicts like us watch "raped" anime with "horrid" voice acting, and "pointless" cuts
    Because obviously no one in their right mind could find ANYTHING dubbed by 4kids enjoyable. We MUST be on something serious

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Are 4Kids topics even allowed in the entertainment forums? :V /haetr
    Also, Dan Green.

Relevant TvTropes linkage.
    Check out the "Acceptable Targets" entry.

Last edited:

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
    4Kids sexually harasses animated cartoons?
    I sure hope they used a condom D:
    but srsly

omg so funny!!111oneone!

4kids made anime more popular, its been said a million times, but its true
    The weeaboo fantards are a minority, believe it or not. a vocal minority. but a minority.

Fantards? They can easily be applied to anyone that likes anything. Can you at least be creative with the insults?

Yes, 4Kids made Anime more popular. They also made some Anime so unbelievably horrifying to listen to and watch that they turned people off to Anime for the rest of their lives, so I think it's a fair trade.

They did some good dubs, they have great voice acting, not all of the time but they still do

I said the same thing already. You're just paraphrasing at this point.

They do replace music, but getting the music costs money ya' know?
    which is why some companies change the theme songs or dub them.
    and the music they do put isn't terrible. Pokemon had some good theme songs
    and Mew Mew Power had some great music too.
    4kids changes things. that doesn't make it any less enjoyable
    of coarse your mileage may vary

Yes, getting the music costs money. And 4Kids has a ton of money. How do I know this? Well, other than it being so damn obvious, they practically force their merchandising commercials down out throats.

Pokemon had, in my opinion, extremely cliche songs. When you listen to them as a kid, yeah, they're pretty damn awesome, but that's usually because you don't really know what music is at that age (speaking in general). Then, you grow up, you hear the song, and you get nostalgic. The Pokemon songs were cliche, but decent, I'll give you that much.

Mew Mew Power, I didn't watch, so I won't make any comments on it, since I wouldn't know what the hell I'm talking about.

4Kids changes too many things sometimes, making it so that the Anime is confusing. Take Pokemon for example. They edited out an episode of Pokemon where Ash catches like 30 Tauros. None of us knew that at the time, because we didn't see the episode. Then, later in the series, Ash uses a Tauros, making us all wonder where the hell it came from, and how it got their. When it gets to the point where the Anime has plot-holes because of the Dubbers, and not the story, then there are some some problems.

Lay off a company that dubs CHILDREN'S CARTOONS
    they're making childrens cartoons more suitable for children. I blame those pesky moral guardians myself.

So, by that logic, adults are not allowed to watch children's cartoons? Interesting logic you've got their[/sarcasm].

Its not like they're gonna come around and dub something like Death Note, or something
    which is clearly not for children
    and they wouldn't touch it with a fifty foot pole ;<

Well, seeing as Death Note is already dubbed, I guess that's a moot point, isn't it?

4kids hasn't even done really any animu lately anyways o_o

Yes, and thank God for that.

And anyways, how exactly does dubbing a Japanese cartoon in English make it RUINED FOREVER? you certainly aren't being forced to watch it, or buy their products.
    you can go on with your merry life, and watch something else.

I never said that the dubbing ruined it forever. I said that the editing, and bad voice acting, ruins the ENGLISH Anime forever.
    while drug-addicts like us watch "raped" anime with "horrid" voice acting, and "pointless" cuts
    Because obviously no one in their right mind could find ANYTHING dubbed by 4kids enjoyable. We MUST be on something serious

Trying to put words in my mouth, huh? Interesting... Well, when you can create a decent argument, one that isn't based on assumptions, you should know where to find me.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Oh, 4Kids. . How terrible you are. .

I'll be the first to admit that their dub on Shaman King wasn't all that terrible. They actually did a decent job on it, if I can get passed them giving Ren a British accent. He's Chinese, WTF!!? Their best dub had to have been Ultimate Muscle.

But to say that they did a good job on One Piece is like saying that teenagers don't work at fast food places. It's a total lie. The voices, the cruddy and unnecessary edits, and the awful job they did on Bellemere's death all contributed to an angry fanbase. I just have to say THANK GOD FOR FUNIMATION. They actually did an excellent job on what 4Kids failed on.

I don't even know why 4Kids tried to dub One Piece. It's not even a kid's show to begin with! Case and point? Niko Robin grabbing Franky's balls. Yes. His balls. Not to mention all the blood.

4Kids turned a great anime into basically a cash cow. They skipped arcs just to get to Tony Tony Chopper so they could make money off his figurines. And the arcs they skipped were wonderful arcs. I could go into more about One Piece and the terrible ways of the dub, but that would take all day to read and write.

I'd also like to say that they did NOT do a good job on Yu-Gi-Oh! OR Pokémon. Yu-Gi-Oh!'s theme in Japanese was not to save the world and half of the time when the characters were talking about Atem's past or the Sennen Items in the dub, they were talking about something completely different. Moments of silence suddenly had sound and talking, as if silence would scar the kids or something. And what's with the inappropriate accents? Jounouchi/Joey had a freaking Brooklyn accent for crap's sake. WTF? And poor Bakura was given the crappiest British accent I've ever heard. It was as if they purposely took knives and shoved them in everyone's ears.

Pokémon. Oh god. . The edits were so terrible. OMG them some freaky lookin' donuts! Yet they called them rice balls in another scene, then changed them into sandwiches, cookies, or crackers. . Not to mention the only good voice actor they had was Takeshi/Brock's. But what really got on my nerves was all the changes they made in the background music.

Instead of trying to avoid Japan and having kids know that there's another country other than America, they should've introduced these things to children in America. It would've been good for their little spongy minds.​

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Mind pointing out the insults? If you're going to say 'You said I was on drugs, which I find insulting', I can easily say that you mocked (and yes, in my opinion, you mocked) Michael Jackson's operation.

I never said that Funimation's Dub wasn't horrible. I said that it got taken away from 4Kids, which is completely true. Funimation came, took it from 4Kids, and decided to dub it themselves. I never once said that the One Piece dub from Funimation didn't suck.

Here's the thing though; people can find comments about that insulting. I am one of those people. Hence, it didn't lighten the mood.

P.S: You only focused on two points of my entire message, leading me to believe that you have no real argument against anything else I've said.

Sorry, after you tl;dr with "4kids raep stuf" "ur on drugz", crudely re-wording statements I had already retorted and started putting words in my mouth, I figured you were just butthurt and didn't have anything of worth to say.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    omg so funny!!111oneone!
    ARENT I RLY FUNNEH N KEWL????//111 XD XD XD

Fantards? They can easily be applied to anyone that likes anything. Can you at least be creative with the insults?
    Maybe tomorrow.
    Yes, 4Kids made Anime more popular. They also made some Anime so unbelievably horrifying to listen to and watch that they turned people off to Anime for the rest of their lives, so I think it's a fair trade.
    Eh. Doesn't matter to me if some people stop watching anime because of a bad dub. Thats their choice. just like some people simply choose not to watch it dubbed

Yes, getting the music costs money. And 4Kids has a ton of money. How do I know this? Well, other than it being so damn obvious, they practically force their merchandising commercials down out throats.
    Just because they have money doesn't mean they want to spend it oAo

Pokemon had, in my opinion, extremely cliche songs. When you listen to them as a kid, yeah, they're pretty damn awesome, but that's usually because you don't really know what music is at that age (speaking in general). Then, you grow up, you hear the song, and you get nostalgic. The Pokemon songs were cliche, but decent, I'll give you that much.
    Your mileage may vary. I found the pokemon songs to be really catchy. even now ouo

4Kids changes too many things sometimes, making it so that the Anime is confusing. Take Pokemon for example. They edited out an episode of Pokemon where Ash catches like 30 Tauros. None of us knew that at the time, because we didn't see the episode. Then, later in the series, Ash uses a Tauros, making us all wonder where the hell it came from, and how it got their. When it gets to the point where the Anime has plot-holes because of the Dubbers, and not the story, then there are some some problems.
    But apparently it was necessary, at least according to 4kids or whoever. We wouldn't want the innocent and fragile minds of children being corrupted. D:
    All the banned episodes were banned for a reason. whether it was a good reason is a matter of opinion owo

I'm not gonna argue that the edits weren't dumb. I mean some of them were forgivable
    Then the other ones were just....
    "THAT IS NOT A DOUGHNUT IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE A DOUGHNUT D:"

So, by that logic, adults are not allowed to watch children's cartoons? Interesting logic you've got their[/sarcasm].
    Older audiences can watch kids shows. that doesn't change the fact that its a kids show though.

Well, seeing as Death Note is already dubbed, I guess that's a moot point, isn't it?
    I was using that as an example. They won't touch an anime "Like death note or something"They dub kids anime. not ALL anime.

I never said that the dubbing ruined it forever. I said that the editing, and bad voice acting, ruins the ENGLISH Anime forever.
    Not really it just ruins peoples opinions of 4kids forever. oAo

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I don't know why there's been a sudden backlash against the people that dislike 4kids, but I will repeat what so many of you have said to us: get over yourselves. I have my own reasons to dislike them; I don't go around forcing my views on anyone, though. If you like them, then great; buy from them. I will never buy a product from them, ever; that's my decision, and nothing anyone says will affect it. For the most part, if I want to support a series, I'll get it imported. If I feel the people involved in development (writers, animators, etc.) are getting ripped off somehow, I won't even import; I'll send money directly to the parties that deserve it and download it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back