• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#8: A Trio of Types

Which is your favorite added type?

• Total voters

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Why all the hate on Fairy types? Finally, we have something to counter the dragons, (you can't say Ice-type did the job, most if not all dragons learn fire type moves), and on top of that they are totally adorable! Look at Dedenne and Azurill. Their appearence change from Gardevoir to Granbull to Xerneas, the possibilities are endless.
Have i mentioned they are totally cute? ^_^

"Why all the hate on Fairy types? Finally, we have something to counter the dragons,"
First of all, by definition, a counter must be able to both switch into the Pokémon it's supposed to counter, with little to no risk to itself, and also pose an immediate threat to said Pokémon. While Fairy-type Pokemon take no damage from those powerful dragon-type moves, most dragons are capable of 2HKOing them with moves such as Earthquake while surviving a Fairy-type move unless coming from Azumarill or maybe Mega Gardevoir. Therefore, Fairy-types cannot really counter Dragon-types. That isn't even factoring moves such as Iron Tail, Poison Jab or Flash Cannon, which most dragons have access to.

Here are some calcs to prove it:

252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 207-244 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Gardevoir can't switch in, has to revenge kill. Gardevoir is not a counter to Salamence.)

252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 177-208 (43.8 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Azumarill can only counter Mence if there is no SR. Azumarill is a shaky counter to Salamence.)

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 455-538 (121.6 - 143.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (If Salamence Dragon Dances as Togekiss switches in, bye bye unless Stone Edge misses. Togekiss is not a counter to Salamence.)

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 270-318 (97.1 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (Gardevoir is usually flat out OHKOed and outsped)

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 458-541 (113.3 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Azumarill can't even dream of taking a Fusion Bolt)

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 201-237 (55.8 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Even physically defensive Florges dies to Fusion Bolt. Florges is not a counter to Kyurem-B)

Furthermore, Steel-types were already good answers to dragons, and tbh they are still bigger counters than Fairy-types could ever hope to be, because they actually have a strong physical defense, which is much more important because most dragons rely on moves such as Outrage, Earthquake, Dragon Claw or Fire Punch.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Steel for me. Most of the Pokemon I like are in the steel type, and I also like how it works in battle. Heck, there's even lots of Pokemon in this type matching my two statements! Skarmory, Aggron and Metagross make good examples. I've also been a big fan of some of them from the start: Jirachi and Dialga.

Years
Gave this one a few extra days, but with that said, this POTW the week is now over (you can still continue to vote and reply even if the thread is unstickied, though!).

I've always found myself drawn to Steel types, with both my favorite Gym Leader using them (Jasmine) and at least 3 of my favorite Pokemon (Aggron, Empoleon, Lucario) being part-Steel. I guess the high number of resistances and immunities has lead me to using them so often, but they always seem to be effective when I do!

I've got to do some rummaging around for the next POTW question, but when I find it, you'll be sure to see a new thread up and ready to go!

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Out of the 3 I prefer the Dark Types... it has more Pokemon I like and have used before, I have good knowledge on how to use Dark Types.

Steel is a type I never did like much, and fairies are still a bit too new for me. I may end up liking it but I have to give it a chance.

Also Steel and Fairy don't have enough Pokemon that I like so I tend not too use them much.

Back