• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#8: The Dark Side [voting]

#8; best icon

• Flushed

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • acatfrommars

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Peter Quill

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Juno

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • RinYoga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anna

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    iContest #8 "the dark side"
    a monochromatic challenge; voting

Welcome

My apologies for such a late voting stage. I'm in the midst of heavy computer issues that have no recourse, so for the meantime we'll be running a little slower than usual here. Sorry!

Rules

Vote for up to three [3] of your favorite icons
    Do not vote for yourself
    If you participated, you must vote
    No overt negativity
    Try to post a little something about why you voted for who
    This is not limited to participants; anyone can vote

Deadline - July 20th, 2014

the offerings

Flushed

acatfrommars

Peter Quill

Juno

RinYoga

Anna

enjoy

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Also, real quick guys, this may not have been the most popular iContest, or had the highest participation.. but this is the best damn batch of icons I've seen in combination yet. I don't know what it is, the lack of color or just me; but all of these are really impressive.

Good job, and good luck.

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
    Voted for Anna's icon. That Sableye looks really menacing!

(I was also going to vote for Juno's and RinYoga's icon but it seems that I can't choose to vote others, so I chose the top spot for me)

I also think that this set of icons are good :o. These monochromic icons have a certain appeal to them :). Good luck to everyone!

(The names on the main post is a bit hard to read, too. The color of the font clashes a bit >w<)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Voted for Anna's icon. That Sableye looks really menacing!

(I was also going to vote for Juno's and RinYoga's icon but it seems that I can't choose to vote others, so I chose the top spot for me)

I also think that this set of icons are good :o. These monochromic icons have a certain appeal to them :). Good luck to everyone!

(The names on the main post is a bit hard to read, too. The color of the font clashes a bit >w<)

psst, you can vote for up to three icons. >w>
    And no, I know they clash. :( I didn't take the time to format it, but I'll do it now.

Years
    Flushed got my vote.

Mainly because he/she changed it the most to not look like the source material, also with his/her edits the picture even looks like it has higher quality.

If I could vote for two other pieces I would go for Peter Quills because his looks completely different from the source material, I just like how he made it into something else and the cat is pretty scary. I would also choose Annas if I could, because its pretty damn frightening.

Well good luck to anyone else.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    Hmm, I can only vote for one over here as well - voting for Anna's, even though we're all monochrome, hers just looks brighter and stands out (in a good way c:).

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I suppose I mis-clicked or something. :(

Oh well, updated the poll to represent the spoken votes. Feel free to continue voting, everyone, and I'll tally up any additional votes cast via posting. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    On this one, I'd probably have to go with Rin's. It's not too bright, but not too dark, either, and nor is too sharp or blurry. To me, it seems to have just the right amount of everything--it's perfect. Only thing that I dislike is its border; it looks sort of distracting. If it weren't for that, it would have been slightly better. Second favorite would have to be Flushed's. It's generally soft, and those starry-looking effects that he's got in top left corner really add to the touch. It's kind of tough to interpret its focal, though--is it a moon?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Voted Peter Quill. Really nice transition from the stock, and the quality is really impressive.

It's kind of tough to interpret its focal, though--is it a moon?
    It's an upside-down skull haha, I know it's kinda hard to tell.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Flushed has the best icon here by a long shot. Especially given that all the other entries are primarily just crops with a B/W filter/map on them. Though one thing everyone is guilty of here is center focals, so you all ended up breaking the rule of thirds, keep an eye out for that in the future!

So despite the center focal here, Flushed gets my vote for having the most inventive and interesting piece. More than a crop, and I can see multiple effects in to take care that it deviates from the stock enough to have its own artistic twist. Nicely done.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Flushed has the best icon here by a long shot. Especially given that all the other entries are primarily just crops with a B/W filter/map on them. Though one thing everyone is guilty of here is center focals, so you all ended up breaking the rule of thirds, keep an eye out for that in the future!

So despite the center focal here, Flushed gets my vote for having the most inventive and interesting piece. More than a crop, and I can see multiple effects in to take care that it deviates from the stock enough to have its own artistic twist. Nicely done.

I agree, Flushed definitely takes the cake here. I love the bar on the right side and how nicely the background works with the skull. This icon also really seems to work in black and white, instead of only being in BW because the theme required it (does that make sense?)

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I agree, Flushed definitely takes the cake here. I love the bar on the right side and how nicely the background works with the skull. This icon also really seems to work in black and white, instead of only being in BW because the theme required it (does that make sense?)
    Yes, it does. The result of a work that's specifically tailored to suit b/w as a color scheme is quite different, imo. And that's what Flushed's entry does well, really. It really manages to pull the theme off very well. And that's why it gets my vote. :)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I've been looking forward to doing this for a while

first place, Flushed!

second place, Anna!

Many congrats, Flushed, for winning this iContest! Be on the look out for Flushed's featured article in the A&D splash! Well done everyone. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back