• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

80x80 Sprites

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I would like to know how to make 80x80 sprites with Pokemon Fire Red. I need help.

I'm sorry, I'm not good at English.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    @Asphere

Pokemon sprites in Fire Red are 64x64 in pixel size. Unless you edit the sprite size of all Pokemon with some routine, you're not able to import 80x80 sprites. Afaik, nobody ever made such a routine for Fire Red yet.

Apart from that, you shouldn't want to increase the sprite size on such a small GBA screen. Just use the available 64x64 sprites from all the threads around on the Pokecommunity forums.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • 80x80? Unless you hardcore edit the game routines, you can't. The Pokemon Sprites in Pokemon FireRed are 64x64 pixels, and in my opinion, are enough. Like kalarie said, the GBA screen is already very small- expanding the sprite size would virtually make the screen seem even smaller.

Here, full sprite sheet(s) of Pokemon from Generations 1-5.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    So, with routines is theorycally possible... and someone know how to make these routines?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • What routines? Sprites are hardware limited to 64x64.
    You would need to stitch together 4 sprites in a 2x2 grid to create the illusion of an 80x80 sprite. Doing so on a static, unanimated sprite wouldn't be a problem regarding implementation.

The real problem is VRAM and screen space. Consider you have 1024 tiles of VRAM to hold all your images (0x7FFF bytes).
    Code:
    Tiles			Item
    256			Player Pokemon
    256			Opponent Pokemon
    8			Player Hp Bar
    8			Opponent Hp Bar
    128			Player Hp Box
    128			Opponent Hp Box
    32			Icons
    64			Basic 64x64 attack
    64			Attack impact

Total = 944 of 1024 tiles

As you can see, you're not really left with much to work with. Most moves are going to encompass more than a simple impact + attack animation. For example:
    Spoiler:

Overall, from an aesthetic and space POV, expanding to pseudo 80x80 sprites is not viable. If you wanted to do something like this, you should a) give up on double battles b) attempt to work around the limitations by loading sprites only when they are displayed and pivot the "camera" into showing perspectives with 1 battler at a time, as seen here:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    What routines? Sprites are hardware limited to 64x64.
    You would need to stitch together 4 sprites in a 2x2 grid to create the illusion of an 80x80 sprite. Doing so on a static, unanimated sprite wouldn't be a problem regarding implementation.

The real problem is VRAM and screen space. Consider you have 1024 tiles of VRAM to hold all your images (0x7FFF bytes).
    Code:
    Tiles			Item
    256			Player Pokemon
    256			Opponent Pokemon
    8			Player Hp Bar
    8			Opponent Hp Bar
    128			Player Hp Box
    128			Opponent Hp Box
    32			Icons
    64			Basic 64x64 attack
    64			Attack impact

Total = 944 of 1024 tiles

As you can see, you're not really left with much to work with. Most moves are going to encompass more than a simple impact + attack animation. For example:
    Spoiler:

Overall, from an aesthetic and space POV, expanding to pseudo 80x80 sprites is not viable. If you wanted to do something like this, you should a) give up on double battles b) attempt to work around the limitations by loading sprites only when they are displayed and pivot the "camera" into showing perspectives with 1 battler at a time, as seen here:
    Spoiler:

W-wait... those Gifs come from a GBA hack? The animations are beautiful, expecially that DS-style Ice Beam. You sure could doing stuff like Bug Master XD
    And yes, im interested in 80x80 sprites with a single battler at time, exactly as the video you linked!
    Even in that case - "stitch together 4 sprites in a 2x2 grid to create the illusion of an 80x80 sprite" - need to be done or the process is different?

Back