• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Champion?

Who will be champion of the Alola region

• Hau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Molayne

• Ryuki

• Faba

• Hala

• Olivia

• Acerola

• Nanu

• Hapu

• Sophocles

• Mina

• Tristan

• Total voters

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • It can also still be in an alternate story too. Alternate Lillie being a trainer vs. S/M Lillie not being one.

But yeah, now that I think about it, Hapu is a really viable candidate. There was a lot of focus on her in S/M, so I can't imagine them not doing something with her this time.

IKR? Plus she's also one of the Title Defense challengers.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Gladion will be a more interesting choice of a champion. Lillie makes no sense. Therefore she will never be champion or trainer. We deserve a decent champion like Gladion.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Gladion will be a more interesting choice of a champion. Lillie makes no sense. Therefore she will never be champion or trainer. We deserve a decent champion like Gladion.

Well considering Lillie went off to Kanto to become a trainer, I'd say she's got as much of a chance as any of the other characters.

pkmin3033

Well, the games don't HAVE to be sequels in order for Lillie to be the Champion; they could be set several years after the first games, and they could have a completely different focus. A sequel is often a direct continuation, "another story" could be just that - a game set after SM just focusing on a different set of characters, with some small crossovers here and there...one of which could be a Champion Lillie returned from Kanto.

I know it's a stretch, but it's just a possibility.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Well, the games don't HAVE to be sequels in order for Lillie to be the Champion; they could be set several years after the first games, and they could have a completely different focus. A sequel is often a direct continuation, "another story" could be just that - a game set after SM just focusing on a different set of characters, with some small crossovers here and there...one of which could be a Champion Lillie returned from Kanto.

I know it's a stretch, but it's just a possibility.
    No it is not. Lillie has no chance of being champion. Possibility does not exist.

Well considering Lillie went off to Kanto to become a trainer, I'd say she's got as much of a chance as any of the other characters.
    No she doesn't. Lillie is a poor character that is can never be strong. She has no chance of being a champion and an unlikely chance of being a champion.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    And you know this...how, exactly? Got any proof you'd like to share?

One: she is an awful character. Two: she is not a trainer. Three: there are far superior characters like gladion to take the spot of champion. Four: i don't need to prove or justify myself to you.

pkmin3033

One: she is an awful character. Two: she is not a trainer. Three: there are far superior characters like gladion to take the spot of champion. Four: i don't need to prove or justify myself to you.
    One: opinion with no bearing on what happens in the game.
    Two: she became a trainer at the end of SM, so if these games are set after SM - which is a possibility for "another story"; being set after does not necessarily mean a sequel - then she WILL be a trainer. We can't rule the possibility of these games being set after SM until it is confirmed either way.
    Three: opinion with no bearing on what happens in the game.
    Four: Guess that's a "No, Meyneth, I don't have any proof; I'm just running my mouth off again because I hate Lillie and everyone should agree with me because I said so." then. Why am I not surprised by this?

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    One: opinion with no bearing on what happens in the game.
    Two: she became a trainer at the end of SM, so if these games are set after SM - which is a possibility for "another story"; being set after does not necessarily mean a sequel - then she WILL be a trainer. We can't rule the possibility of these games being set after SM until it is confirmed either way.
    Three: opinion with no bearing on what happens in the game.
    Four: Guess that's a "No, Meyneth, I don't have any proof; I'm just running my mouth off again because I hate Lillie and everyone should agree with me because I said so." then. Why am I not surprised by this?

Please. Lillie has no making of a champion. If these are third version games then lillie would remain the same. I don't need proof because lillie speaks for herself. I never said people should agree with me so don't put words in my mouth. Also it is you that is running your mouth off. Not me.

pkmin3033

Please. Lillie has no making of a champion. If these are third version games then lillie would remain the same. I don't need proof because lillie speaks for herself. I never said people should agree with me so don't put words in my mouth. Also it is you that is running your mouth off. Not me.
    You cannot know, for sure, who will be the Champion and who will not be. Unless you have some insider knowledge we're not aware of. To say there is "no chance" is a baseless assertion. You HOPE there is no chance. It's not the same thing. If you KNOW this, when nobody could possibly know that when the games aren't even out yet and a Champion hasn't been confirmed, you need proof. If you don't have it, then you don't know. So if you don't know, you shouldn't say there is "no chance" because for all you know there could be.

Also, if you could be less offensive, that'd be great, thanks.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    You cannot know, for sure, who will be the Champion and who will not be. Unless you have some insider knowledge we're not aware of. To say there is "no chance" is a baseless assertion. You HOPE there is no chance. It's not the same thing. If you KNOW this, when nobody could possibly know that when the games aren't even out yet and a Champion hasn't been confirmed, you need proof. If you don't have it, then you don't know. So if you don't know, you shouldn't say there is "no chance" because for all you know there could be.

Also, if you could be less offensive, that'd be great, thanks.

Lillie gave no indication of being champion. She is not suitable either. Her chances are almost non existant. I don't need proof cause SM is proof itself. Also you were being offensive. You started this.

Last edited:

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Lillie gave no indication of being champion. She is not suitable either. Her chances are almost non existant. I don't need proof cause SM is proof itself. Also you were being offensive. You started this.
    This game is gonna be different from SM, though. They can make all sorts of changes to the story if they wanted to. There's no guarantee as to whether she will or won't be champion.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    This game is gonna be different from SM, though. They can make all sorts of changes to the story if they wanted to. There's no guarantee as to whether she will or won't be champion.
    I rather stick to our character being the first champion. That was a fun feat in SM. To battle challengers instead of the same champion standing there despite us beating them before.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I rather stick to our character being the first champion. That was a fun feat in SM. To battle challengers instead of the same champion standing there despite us beating them before.

While on the topic, is it just me or would it kind of bother anyone else if the game had the player be the champion for this game? By player, I mean the representation of the past game's avatar.

While it really isn't a self insert for a ton of reasons, the player character is meant to obviously represent the player. Having a stand-in for you wouldn't feel meaningful, but quite cheap and the character would just feel bland and empty, as GameFreak wont be able to implant any form of personality on them.

...And yeah, I realise that Red was literally meant to be a self-insertion of the past players when you battle him in Silver/Gold. But that's a bit of the problem.

As in, when I first found Red and battled him, I had no meaningful recognition or thought. I had never played Red/Blue/Green at the time, so Red was just this blank state with overpowered Pokemon.

When S/M had Red featured as a Battle Tree, he was no longer a representation of the player but literally just another NPC. And a boring one at that. If a new player battled him with the same train of thought I had when I first encountered him, it would be just as meaningless.

However, this doesn't mean that having old characters featured is bad. As long as they aren't there with the sole purpose to have fan service, and play a role in the game as a genuine character, then in my mind they deserve to be there.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • While on the topic, is it just me or would it kind of bother anyone else if the game had the player be the champion for this game? By player, I mean the representation of the past game's avatar.

While it really isn't a self insert for a ton of reasons, the player character is meant to obviously represent the player. Having a stand-in for you wouldn't feel meaningful, but quite cheap and the character would just feel bland and empty, as GameFreak wont be able to implant any form of personality on them.

...And yeah, I realise that Red was literally meant to be a self-insertion of the past players when you battle him in Silver/Gold. But that's a bit of the problem.

As in, when I first found Red and battled him, I had no meaningful recognition or thought. I had never played Red/Blue/Green at the time, so Red was just this blank state with overpowered Pokemon.

When S/M had Red featured as a Battle Tree, he was no longer a representation of the player but literally just another NPC. And a boring one at that. If a new player battled him with the same train of thought I had when I first encountered him, it would be just as meaningless.

However, this doesn't mean that having old characters featured is bad. As long as they aren't there with the sole purpose to have fan service, and play a role in the game as a genuine character, then in my mind they deserve to be there.

Idk, I really can't see them doing something like this since I assume there would be no dialogue which wouldn't seem right imo. They pulled it off with Red but he was more of an optional side battle not really connected to the main storyline. A Champion should be someone important in the game that shows up regularly and someone that we've bumped into previously in the storyline. It would be better to have someone as the Champion who talks of the past player (protag from S/M) as the first Champion of Alola, or something along those lines.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Yeah. I think one of the challengers that we face could be champion. Or one of the elite four or trial captains can be champion.

pkmin3033

Hmmm...I don't think it would be TOO bad to have the past avatars feature in some way, although I would prefer it if it was not implied that they were your past self from SM. Gens III, IV and VI all use the opposite gendered character in the story as a rival of sorts, so it wouldn't feel too out of place...IF they asked you at the start of the game if you'd played SM and which character you'd picked. Which seems unlikely to happen, really. It'd feel weird if your past character became a fully scripted NPC, but the opposite gender to the one you picked wouldn't be such a bad choice.

But I think having an existing NPC would be the better choice if a character from those games is going to be the Champion, just to avoid the potential disassociative mess that'd cause. xD

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I don't want our past character as a Champion, I just don't see how they could pull it off without it being weird, like a Red 2.0, but at this point Red is just kinda this famous character in the games anyways so it's not weird for him.

Although I would like if USUM had a Memory Link feature like BW2, so people could mention your character by name, and hell if they had to they could do title defense again, and one of the challengers could be your avatar with your past team and your customized character, that would be kinda neat since they don't need to say anything at that point.

Back