• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"A Crasher Course in Power" Episode Discussion

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    -What is James wearing?
    -The animation is horrible.
    -The referee is obviously Catholic.
    -Satoshi is smart against Quagsire.
    -Ha ha. Floatzel is the strongest water-type.
    -Shadow Clone jutsu with Rasengan combination.
    -Satoshi wins 3-0. Ouch.
    -Worst Gym Battle in Sinnoh.

Rating: 5/10

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    5/10? It's not that bad. Although I stopped atching the middle, but I've already watched it in Japanese

- Eh!? The Pokedex theme is back!? But that's 4Kids
    - Good Pikachu knocked out Gyarados startait away
    - Ash knows to switch against Quag, wouldn't have before
    - Good switch

Music kept:
    1st
    Route 3
    Buizel angry and walking to Pikachu
    Satoshi's Battle Decision (movie 1)
    Pikachu 1st uses Thunderbolt on Gyarados
    Route 208

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    ok, what did meowth say when james and carnivine try to pull him into the mud, right at the beginning? cause to me, it sounded like 'p*ss off' O.O

Meowth said "mits off" to James

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Meowth said "mits off" to James

ooooh...right...that explains it. They seem to have a lot of 'close calls' like this in the anime...or i might just need my hearing tested. Anyway - to the episode

- Ash walled crasher
    - that's bad, seeing as how Crasher is way more pwnage
    - MORE inter-evolutionary-chain rivalry
    - The last time this appened was when Pikachu beat Wattson...and that was cheating
    - Gotta love Brock's new shirt. i hope its permanent
    - Buizel evolving hints?
    -generally, good episode. not a filler, but not too OTT
    -so...
    -without further ado...
    -the score...
    -is...

8.5/10
    i had to mark it down a little for the way Crasher completely failed at life and everything

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Crasher failing and the bad animation really was all it took for me to give it a low grade. I mean look at Buneary in her first still shot. She has a 360º head!

@Alipeewee: I agree there are some cases where it sounds off. Like in BF, some people thought May said "The hell" so it's not just you.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    I'm not a tremendous stickler for gym battles, so this episode is adequate to me at best. Ash didn't lose any Pokémon but he wasn't that long a stride from losing any, either. I was also very gratified to hear the tracks that were kept; they're good, lucid, have eliciting and tense beats, desperation yet stimulation in tone, and remind me of why I favor the Japanese BGM. And Crasher Wake's dub laughter reminds me just a might bit of Wattson's.

Pikachu's rivalry with Buizel did feel a tad pried but I have a feeling that it may forebode that which isn't seen in the immediate moment... dunno, I just feel something worse may come of it as future rivalries may impend along the horizon, but that's just me. As for the animation? Yes, it could have been better given how much more dynamic and bettered in quality the animation has become over the years, but seldom do I gauge an episode's quality in animation. That's not the kernel of greats for me. I didn't gauge the Kanto episodes by that. To me it's like saying video games are determined solely by their graphics when it comes to quality as an overall - not the case for me at all. Animation doesn't lower the impact of my enjoyment as I'm more or less neutral on the matter, but again, that's just me.

In brief, the episode was basically what I expected of it. Not fantastic but not horrendous either. Passable.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2009
    The gym battle episodes are always my favorite episodes they have the most action besides the fact that Buizel was battling Floatzel that was defenetly a good victory for Ash and Pikachu

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    This has got to be one of the worst Gym Battles of the series (Kanto doesn't count, as most of them weren't even battles...>.>). Crasher got 3-0'd, which is pathetic considering he has three of the best Pokémon in their respective tiers (bar Floatzel, who isn't Hariyama, Crobat, or Ludicolo, that's for sure...).

Sure, there are hints at Floatzel evolving. As I've said earlier, there are hints of Croagunk evolving with the appearance of Jupiter's Toxicroak, as well.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Best misinterpretation of a voice ever in the Pokémon series, hands-down.

Fail battle was fail.

But in about two weeks, it'll probably be the best episode in the Sinnoh League. (Is it 2 or 3? I haven't checked the list of episodes in a while...:#)

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    I'm kind of wondering if Buizel will ever evolve into a Floatzel. That would be awesome. Then again, Corphish never became a Crawdaunt.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    So was anyone else upset about how Ice Fang was animated?
    Yes. For crying out loud, it's teeth, not some freakish ice-lazer. Man.

Brock: You can't win against a Gym Leader with just power.
    Maybe you guys can't, but we can. ;D

Come on Buizel, evolve!! You know you want to!!

I give this episode an eight out of ten. Just because of the whole Ice Fang thing.

Jorah said:
    Ash knows to switch against Quag, wouldn't have before
    My exact thought[s?].

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    Crasher went down too easy. It was pathetic to me. It wasn't even a competition for Ash.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Well I saw the episode a few days ago and I have to say, it wasn't one of the best battles I've seen but it wasn't bad either...it just comes to show you how much smarter Ash is getting as a trainer...and using Ice Aqua Jet was just awesome...I mean honestly, it was great to see that move again...but all in all, I enjoyed it...

Back