• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A few collecting questions

Years
  • I decided to do a new topic since this is a little bit out of the realm from my previous one. I had a few questions about collecting full sets and the like. I'll try and keep this clear and organized, I mainly just have two questions.

1) What's the best way to collect a full set? To be specific right now I'm working on the Evolutions set. I bought a booster box, two trainer boxes, and a two theme decks (though I consider the theme decks separate from my primary collection). After all that I'm missing 17 cards which I guess isn't too bad. My problem is they're all mostly the rarer/not common cards. Would it be wise to just buy them all one by one at this point? Some of them are pricey (I think one of the Charizard cards is about 30 dollars). Or would it be wise to try my luck again with a second booster box? A second booster box kind of makes me feel iffy, I could spend the 100 dollars or so and get a shot at getting the 17 but still come up short. Whereas buying individually at this point, whatever money I spend I know I have the card, no luck necessary.

1a) In future sets, is it a good idea to buy two booster boxes right off the bat? Evolutions was my first set to collect/start with so I'm way new to this. Do people generally get close to collecting a full set off of a booster box or do people generally get two boxes all the time when they're serious about collecting a set?

2) What should I do with all my doubles! I got a lot more doubles (and triples and quadruples and...yeah, lots of duplicates) then I imagined I would. I know you can keep up to four (or is it five?) of the same card per deck when you play, which is why I kept most of my extra trainers. But I don't know what to do with the extra pokemon cards. In general I'm keeping two of each, one of the regular card if I got it and one of the holo/special card if I got it. I'm only going to be playing the game with one other person, never planning on going local events or tournaments really, and I don't really want to have 4 pikachu cards in my set, and four more in my partner's. I would rather just keep it limited to one of each pokemon per player to increase the variety of pokemon. So having said that, what's the best way to sell my cards? I know eBay is generally the go to but I don't know if I want to go through all the trouble of that, and also having to worry about a buyer trying to scam me. Is selling to an online store ever worth it? Currently I'm using Collector's Cache to buy from, I also have Troll and Toad on my list. Do sites like that generally treat you fairly with "trade-ins" or is it a ripoff?

I think that's it for right now. If I think of anything else I'll add it to this list or make another post if someone comes up from behind me before then.

Years
  • 1. You're probably at a point of just buying the singles, but it may be a bit difficult at first to find singles for cheap since the set's still quite new.

1a. It's probably 2 boosters that would be the limit for just collecting a set.

2. You could see if there's a shop near you that will buy commons (most won't, mind), or monitor sites like Troll and Toad for when they're buying cards and sell to them, though you won't get much for them (especially since the cards your selling are probably mostly commons and uncommons).

Years
  • Thanks for the reply. In terms of waiting for the cards to decrease in value, how long should I wait? I know that's kind of open ended, I'm just worried about waiting too long and having the cards go out print and then up in value. Do card sets generally drop in value once a new one is released or is there a different time to consider?

I figured I probably wouldn't get much for all my extra cards, I might just hang on to them in that case. It probably isn't worth the hassle/time for just a few dollars.

Years
  • Small bump on this thread. Just wondering when the best time to buy the singles for Evolutions would be. After the newest set comes out next year? Or later than that?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Small bump on this thread. Just wondering when the best time to buy the singles for Evolutions would be. After the newest set comes out next year? Or later than that?

Give it a month or two mate for the hype to die down. Competitively the set is crap (however some of the EXs are pretty good, Brock's Grit, Rattata/Raticate, Mewtwo and electrode are all pretty good too) so the price will drop quicker than sets like Roaring Skies or Ancient Origins that are full of highly competitive cards.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2016
    Hey Twisting River ! Have you thought about trading for them? If you have any other seconds you might be able to get some trading going

I will be opening a Evolutions booster box and will be open if I get any of the cards you are looking for we can talk !

Back