• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A little pixel art

Epsilon

Shiny Scizor
    Years
    I've been gone a long, long time. Today I made two sprites, and I enjoyed making them very, very much. Here they are:

A little pixel art

Comments and/or tips are much appreciated!​

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    The celebi looks great! There are some minor issues I have with the shading on the body, it's a little to straight, but overal it looks really great.

The mew is a fun one too, but the are a couple of issues with it. The highlights are placed weirdly, it makes mew look really slimy. It's position is very weird, as I can't how figure out how it's supposed to be standing. Also, the eyes are of different sizes, and it makes him look a little derpy.

Epsilon

Shiny Scizor
    Years
    The celebi looks great! There are some minor issues I have with the shading on the body, it's a little to straight, but overal it looks really great.

The mew is a fun one too, but the are a couple of issues with it. The highlights are placed weirdly, it makes mew look really slimy. It's position is very weird, as I can't how figure out how it's supposed to be standing. Also, the eyes are of different sizes, and it makes him look a little derpy.

Thanks for your advice, I'll try to improve them later.

Maybe for reference, the source material:
    https://www.deviantart.com/art/Mew-258247933
    https://imgur.com/SCyChWH

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    They do look a lot like the source material! Great work there. Just keep in mind that in drawn art the colour transition is way softer, that's why the shading works on that mew, and it doesn't work as well on yours. The darker shade at the edges isn't as much shading as it is texture. Also, something you did really well on your celebi but less on your mew is the way you used the black outline. If you don't have a good balance, the sprite can look very flat and weird, and I can know because I do it wrong way too much, haha. And as a final note, maybe try to experiment with the shading instead of copying it from your source. If you copy a drawing thats in a whole different style, you may teach yourself bad habits.

Quick edit: I don't want to sound as a sucker to the rules, but usually Fairy comments when you don't have three pieces of work, as that is the minimum. Thought I might save her the effort and tell it to you myself. :)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    MorallyIncorrect is correct! We actually require a three piece minimum for A&D, but I personally don't like closing threads of hopeful artists looking to improve, so I allow people some time to add a third piece before enforcing the rule. So just make sure you add one more sprite, drawing, doodle, photograph, sculpture, whatever it may be! :)

Otherwise, your pixel art is definitely heading in the right direction. I can see you're working hard on them! I highly recommend you check out A&D's Pixel Art Tutorial, because we cover some of the lesser known and more obscure elements to pixel art like banding, hugging, pillow shading, and things of that nature which are occurring in your pixel art. If you're looking to improve, it's a great place to start.

Keep it up, alright? You've got a good thing going here and I'm excited to see what you come up with next!

(and don't forget about that third piece!)

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    They are great. I'd suggest less light, or a longer color transition for the light reflection, since otherwise they will look a little bit slimy.

Back