• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen A question on HG/SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    First off, I'd just like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. A little info about myself, im a high school student living in scotland, my first pokémon game was gold although I did go on to buy blue from a friend. My favourite pokemon (of you hadn't already guessed) is Totodile. I also own Crystal, Sapphire, Emerald and Diamond.

Anyway back on topic, I was toying with the idea of buying HG or SS but I wasn't sure if there would be enough new content and flashy animations to keep me focused on completing it. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of the previous games and defeated the E4 in all of them with the exception of Emerald. It felt too much like Sapphire to keep me going.

I don't want to do the same and waste my money on something that I have already completed. I was hoping that you could help me make the decision on whether to buy it or not by giving me an insight into how different the game is to the previous titles.

Thanks in advance.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Man, you should REALLY buy that game. It is way awesome enough to be worth it. I pre-ordered in August to get it. Remember, this game was out on April 14th. I love it, and you will too.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    You should get this game if the nostalgia factor kicks in for you. It's a fantastic experience for those who have G/S/C copies. I don't have the originals, and I'm happy, so you should love it.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    get heartgold. Ho-Oh is really good and easier to get to then lugia. in the long run Ho-oh will help ya out a lot more

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Seeing you are asking in the HGSS section of a Pokemon board you'd likely just see similar responses to those above. =p

But seeing this was your mentioned concern...
    but I wasn't sure if there would be enough new content and flashy animations to keep me focused on completing it.
    As others said there is certainly new content compared to the original GSC games. There's stuff like the Pokethlon, the Battle Frontier (and seeing you don't have Platinum that's a lot of new stuff battling-wise in there to try out and to challenge yourself with), a safari zone, and lots of little extras (level boosts, lots more legendaries to get if you so choose, a stronger E4 come the 2nd time around, rematches with gym leaders...). Should be enough there to satisfy apart from what was more or less in Crystal - and let's not forget the Pokewalker as well, which is a neat gadget.

As for animations - sprites don't dance about 24/7 just yet (that's next gen =p) but certainly graphics wise on the overworld, etc it's a very large step from Crystal (way more so than emerald --> sapphire at any rate =p), and IMO more appealing to the eye than Diamond as well. And Pokemon following you is a nice asthetic addition as well (and sound effects when you walk, etc).

Essentially if you have the money for it than more likely than not you'll enjoy the game, and even more so if you liked Crystal (what with the chance for nostalgia as well). I don't see other people's answers varying too much from this though, so going to close (but if you want to throw in your two cents, just VM/PM the thread opener, guys). If there's other questions you have, there's the Help thread sticky at the top of the section to use, and the FAQ thread with some info as well.

And lastly - welcome to the forums and enjoy your time here. =)
    get heartgold. Ho-Oh is really good and easier to get to then lugia. in the long run Ho-oh will help ya out a lot more
    But Lugia is cooler =(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back