• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Smattering of Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Hey all! I present to you with a simple little challenge I came up with...

A Smattering of Stones!

Basically, the idea here is to only use Pokemon that evolve by using a stone. This sort of challenge really narrows the selection of Pokemon you have to work with, and also forces you to choose wisely as far as when to evolve your team.

The Rules:
    1. Your team can only consist of Pokemon that evolve with a stone. At the beginning of the game, you can play like normal, but as soon as you can catch a Pokemon that evolves with a stone, you have to ditch your starter and go with the stone Pokemon. A full list of pokemon that evolve by stones can be found here.
    2. ALL STONES MUST BE OBTAINED IN-GAME! No trading over from another game or hacking in. This adds to the challenge, especially in G/S/C, where you can't really get stones until after the Elite Four.
    3. No hacking/cheating. If the Pokemon you want isn't available in-game, you can hack or trade in up to a maximum of HALF your final team, but either at Lv. 5 or an egg. Also, you must have gotten at least one gym badge before you can hack something in - this will ensure that you are forced to use an in-game Pokemon.
    4. There needs to be a minimum of three Pokemon on your team - otherwise, this is nothing more than a slightly restricted solo/duo run.
    5. HM Slaves are OK, just box them when in a gym or E4, and don't battle with them, obviously.
    6. Hacks/ROMs are OK, I guess.
    7. The challenge ends when...
    Spoiler:

8. Have fun and enjoy the challenge!

Possible Variations
    - "One Pokemon, One Stone" - only use one of each stone, i.e. only one Leaf Stone, one Thunderstone, etc.
    - "One Stone Type" - only use one type of stone. Remember that the stone has to be legitimately obtained in-game!

ULTIMATE Challenge - Go through one game per region. Teams don't have to be the same, so as long as the rules are adhered to.

And that's about it! Sign-ups and challengers listed below!

Name:
    Game:
    Planned Team: (Don't have to list right away)

Aaand... Here's my sign-up:

Spoiler:

List of Challengers:
    Spoiler:

List of Champions:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Alright, sorry it took me a couple days, but Baby Skitty's Lullaby, you are now signed up!

And here's a quick update on what I've done so far...
    - Started the game and breezed through the mission to get the Egg and Pokedex and whatnot. Cyndaquil was my starter.
    - Blazed through to Route 31 and grabbed a Bellsprout; ditched Cyndaquil.
    - Went over to Route 36 and caught Growlithe, this one wasn't too easy.
    - Growlithe ripped through Sprout Tower and gained some valuable EXP.
    - Falkner: Growlithe ripped through this guy's birds with a couple of Bites.
    - Went to Azalea Town via Route 32 and Union Cave.
    - Beat Bugsy. Ember, anyone?
    - Went through the Ilex Forest and got Headbutt. Caught an Exeggcute and added it to my team!
    - Remembered that I get a random egg in Crystal! Got it from the daycare, and hatched it. It was Smoochum. Darn.
    - Went up to Route 35 in an attempt to catch Nidoran. Unfortunately, they aren't there without a Yanma swarm... But I stumbled across Jigglypuff and caught another member of the team!
    - Went back and grinded a bit... Bought a Thunderpunch TM for Jiggly too.
    - Whitney: She wasn't too bad. Clefairy managed to beat Jigglypuff but then was finished off by Growlithe. Miltank, usually a pain, went down fairly easily to the Leech Seed + Hypnosis combo from Exeggcute. Reflect and Barrage (yuck) made it easier.

Current Team: Jigglypuff Lv. 16, Exeggcute Lv. 17, Growlithe Lv. 22

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Name: KoboraX
    Game: Crystal (Using an emulator. Wish I could do Silver, but my GBA isn't working and I'm too lazy to get an emulator.)
    Planned Team: (No promises on this team. It's bound to change.) Vileplume, Clefable, Nidoking

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2014
    Sounds like fun. Quick question though, say for example I choose to do Pokemon Storm Silver, would I be able to evolve my Eevee into Glaceon as it evolves through use of an item called the Chilled Ore

Years
  • Name: dango989
    Game: FireRed Omega
    Planned Team: Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Delcatty, Umbreon

I also have a question, if the game adds espeon/umbreon as sun stone/moon stone evolutions, is it okay to use them? If it is, I'll add umbreon to the team, if not then I'll just use the team I said.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Ok, so KoboraX and dango989, you guys are signed up!

Questions to address:

Seraphimon-sama: I'm not familiar with the Storm Silver version... But is all you do for Eevee into Glaceon use the item? It's not one of the Hold Items and Level up things, right? If it works just like a stone, it's OK, if not, it's a no-go. Lemme know if you want to sign up.

Dango989: Yes, the Umbreon will be fine with the Moon Stone. Remember that all of the Moon Stones have to be obtained legitimately in-game!

And a quick update on Crystal for me...
    - Went and cleared Route 35, 36, and the National Park.
    - Caught that Sudowoodo, good for a Rock Smash slave, I guess.
    - Saw Bill in Ecruteak, then ran back to Goldenrod to get Eevee - will be a Jolteon eventually.
    - Went to the Burned Tower, beat Chunky (my Rival, lol), and set the dogs roaming.
    - Beat Morty. He wasn't too bad to beat, as Eevee had Mud-Slap, Exeggcute had Hypnosis and Confusion, Growlithe had Bite, and Jigglypuff could use Rollout to finish things up.

Current Team: Exeggcute, Eevee, Jigglypuff, Growlithe - All at Lv. 22

Years
  • Update 1
    Spoiler:

Current team:
    Nyquil/Nidoran(M) Lv 16
    Dayquil/Nidorina Lv 16
    Jojo/Skitty Lv 16

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2014
    Ok, so KoboraX and dango989, you guys are signed up!

Questions to address:

Seraphimon-sama: I'm not familiar with the Storm Silver version... But is all you do for Eevee into Glaceon use the item? It's not one of the Hold Items and Level up things, right? If it works just like a stone, it's OK, if not, it's a no-go. Lemme know if you want to sign up.

Dango989: Yes, the Umbreon will be fine with the Moon Stone. Remember that all of the Moon Stones have to be obtained legitimately in-game!

And a quick update on Crystal for me...
    - Went and cleared Route 35, 36, and the National Park.
    - Caught that Sudowoodo, good for a Rock Smash slave, I guess.
    - Saw Bill in Ecruteak, then ran back to Goldenrod to get Eevee - will be a Jolteon eventually.
    - Went to the Burned Tower, beat Chunky (my Rival, lol), and set the dogs roaming.
    - Beat Morty. He wasn't too bad to beat, as Eevee had Mud-Slap, Exeggcute had Hypnosis and Confusion, Growlithe had Bite, and Jigglypuff could use Rollout to finish things up.

Current Team: Exeggcute, Eevee, Jigglypuff, Growlithe - All at Lv. 22

Yeah with Storm Silver, there's actually quite a few items that work like a stone. Just off the top of my head, there is the Chilled Ore, Magmarizer, Reaper Cloth, Protector, Covenant Orb, Electrilizer (not sure of spelling), King's Rock, Dragon Scale, Aubade Orb, Serenade Orb, Woodland Ore, Voltaic Ore, Up-Grade, Dubious Disc, DeepSea Scale/Tooth and the Metal Coat.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Seraphimon-Sama - fine with me. If you wanna sign up, go for it!

Update for my Crystal Version:
    - Ventured out on Route 38, and cured Miltank. Too bad it only gives one Moomoo Milk at a time.
    - Went to Olivine and got a Good Rod. Went fishing and pulled up Shellder. BAM! There's another member of the team!
    - Went up the Lighthouse, and then found that I had to head to Cianwood.
    - Went to Cianwood, and on the way, grinded Exeggcute in anticipation of the upcoming gym battle.
    - Caught site of Suicune and battled ZOMGcrazyguy Eusine.
    - Beat Chuck. Shellder took down Primeape with Surf and luck. Leech Seed + Hypnosis + Confusion worked wonders on Poliwrath.
    - Went back to Olivine to deliver medicine and battle Jasmine. Dig (Growlithe) beat Magnemite x2, and Shellder's Surf beat Steelix. Six badges down!
    - Ventured to Mahogany and went up to the Lake to grab Red Gyarados (who wouldn't want to catch it?)
    - Broke down the door of Team Rocket's Hideout!

Team: Growlithe, Shellder, Eevee, Jigglypuff, Exeggcute... I really want some stones... Game's gonna get tougher soon!

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2014
    Name: Seraphimon-sama
    Game: Storm Silver
    Planned Team: Probably Glaceon, Magmortar, Togekiss, Electivire, Rhyperior and Kingdra

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Seraphimon-sama, you're signed up! Good luck!

Since my last post... I beat the Rockets in Mahogany. I then beat Pryce with the help of Shellder and Jigglypuff. Then beat the Rockets in Goldenrod, and used a Moon Stone that I found to evolve Jigglypuff. (I've got a leaf stone now too, probably gonna wait for Solarbeam on Exeggcute).

Good luck to all!

Years
    Name: Whallan
    Game: Black
    Planned Team: Simipour, Musharna, Cinccino, Eelektross, Chandelure and Whimsicott

-----------
    My adventure begins.
    Spoiler:

Team:
    Munna/Melorine Lv. 26
    -Synchronise
    -Moonlight
    -Psybeam
    -Hypnosis

Panpour/Bruce Lv. 20
    -Rock Smash
    -Work Up
    -Bite
    -Water Gun

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    Hello. I am interested. I am gonna do it on Blaze Black 2(when i finish Volt White 2). I am planning on calling myself Thomas. Team i'l probably take: Nidoking, Chansey/eviolite,I don't know what else. (yes there is a eviolite in this hack of white 2). As i said, when i finish Volt White 2 i'l start. xP

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hey boo. This challenge died off in 2012. Please don't post in challenges that are over two months old. You're free to make a new thread for this, but please don't just copy/paste the first post. Reword it to make it your own, if you choose to remake it anyway.

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back