• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A very new team that possibly fails [OU RMT]

Super Puppy

The Jar of Almonds
    Years
    EDIT: Changed with everything mentioned so far. Team is now: Gallade, Gengar, Gyarados, Lucario, Celebi, Snorlax (too lazy to find pictures, deal with it).

Gallade @ Expert Belt
    Adamant
    EVs: 200 Spe, 252 Atk, 52 HP
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Shadow Sneak
    ~Thunder Wave
    ~Close Combat

I'm still debating weather to lead with Gallade or not. Probably not, but I'm just leaving him here. Anyway, he's my physical sweeper. I made him fairly bulky, so I think he can afford to run SD. I like the addition of Shadow Sneak, as it has much more coverage then my previous moves.

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spe, 4 SDef
    ~Focus Blast
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Will-o-wisp/ Hypnosis

Ah, Gengar. I essentially copied this from Smogon, which is probably why nobody made many changes. Sweep away. I know Hypnosis is standard, but WoW cripples many counters not expecting to be hit with it. It's sort of a surprise thing.

Gyarados @ Enigma Berry
    Adamant/ Careful
    EVs: 156 HP/180 Atk/74 Def/100 Spe
    ~Ice Fang (huzzah for now having something that kills Dragons!)
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Waterfall
    ~Dragon Dance

Bulkydos? Yes indeed. There must be some reason he's so hated, but meh. This works better than any spread I could come up with. He does a great job covering my Infernape weakness, as well as others.

Lucario @ Choice Scarf
    40 Atk / 216 SAtk / 252 Speed
    Naive/ Hasty
    ~Close Combat
    ~Dark Pulse
    ~Earthquake
    ~Hidden Power Ice (???)

Lucario is my mixed sweeper, as well as a Tyranitar counter. The only problem is I don't know if I can get HP Ice, so I might have to find something else to go there.

Snorlax @ Lefties
    Careful
    EVs: 244 HP / 28 Atk / 236 SDef
    ~Body Slam
    ~Rest
    ~Sleep Talk
    ~Crunch

Snorlax is my status absorber and special wall. I chose him over Blissey specifically because I like his attack power. The Resttalk combo is formidable and I really think Snorlax excels at this job.

Celebi @ Lefties
    Calm/ Modest
    EVs: 216 HP/ 220 Def/ 72 SAtk
    ~Recover
    ~Psychic
    ~Stealth Rock
    ~Grass Knot

Celebi is acting as my physical wall. I think the set is pretty self-explanatory; again, I basically copied it from Smogon. Status, Recovery, and a little attacking. Still debating Psychic.

Last edited:

Weavile1110101

Casual Battler
    Years
    With Togekiss, you could try increasing the Speed Evs and putting Encore on it. Always handy, especially against stat-boosters. (Maybe remove some SpAtk Evs...) And with Encore, you can always switch to something or force switches.

Not sure about the others. I haven't used any others except Gallade, and Ice Punch is definitely worthwhile. (Get it off Medicham)

Spiritombreeder

lol, SB
    Years
    As a note, I just built this team in about five minutes. I completely redid my old team because it went from OU to UU since the last time I was on Smogon. So anyway, I'm sure it's riddled with flaws and whatnot because it was done so quickly, actually it probably sucks, but this is a very rough draft of a future team for me and I wanted to get some opinions before going much further. On that note, feel free to tear it into little tiny shreds. Enjoy!

~At a Glance~

Gallade @ ???
    Adamant
    EVs: 200 Spe, 252 Atk, 52 HP
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Night Slash
    ~Psycho Cut
    ~Close Combat

This is the one Pokemon I will not get rid of. He may now be in the same tier as Luvdisc (seriously?), but that won't stop me. He's my physical sweeper and my lead. I'm still working on his set, clearly (and no, I can't get Ice Punch. I wish).

What's it doing as a lead, though. Its fine I guess, but why lead with it. It doesn't do anything a lead normally does (sleep, scout, lay rocks), and what it does do it can do better mid game. Use the Swords Dance set. Keep Close Combat, drop Psycho cut since it covers the same things Night Slash does and place Swords Dance over it. Night slash can be replaced with Ice punch, but eh. Move it to a different spot. Of course you can also band it, in which case I'd recommend Shadow Sneak over Night Slash do deal with gengar and the likes.

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spe, 4 SDef
    ~Focus Blast
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~T-bolt
    ~Will-o-wisp

I think this is pretty standard. He's fast, he's tough, and he's annoying as hell. A fine sweeper.

What do you plan to burn with Will-o-Wisp, though? Hypnosis is much better over it. It does what its supposed to do, I guess.

Donphan @ ???
    Impish
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
    ~Earthquake
    ~Ice Shard
    ~Rapid Spin
    ~Stealth Rock

I sure like Donphan. He's very useful and a great asset to the team. Again, I wasn't creative simply because I think the basic set for him works just fine.

It does a poor job as a spinner though. I'd place a Skarmory here and lead with it, or even lead azelf simply because Togekiss is not enough to warrant wasting a spot for a rapid spinner.

Togekiss @ ???
    Modest/ Calm
    EVs: 252 HP / 100 SAtk / 108 SDef/ 48 Spe
    ~Roost
    ~Air Slash
    ~Aura Sphere
    ~T-wave

I'm going for a sort of tank-like thing here. I think Togekiss is great for the job with her solid SDef and dangerous SAtk.

Special tank? I don't see why not. It gives you another levitator if anything. Give it leftovers.

Tangrowth @ Lefties
    Impish
    EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def/ 28 Atk
    ~Power Whip
    ~Leech Seed
    ~Sleep Powder
    ~Earthquake

With my trend of not-doing-what-this-Pokemon-is-usually-used-for, I've created almost a wall here. Actually, I suppose it is a wall. And again, not caring that it's UU.

But why use it when celebi is the much better choice? Celebi can leech seed, recover itself, and still do a great job of being a wall.

Snorlax @ Lefties
    Careful
    EVs: 244 HP / 28 Atk / 236 SDef
    ~Body Slam
    ~Rest
    ~Sleep Talk
    ~Crunch

What can I say? Snorlax is a fabulous special wall, through and through.

Why not blissey? I don't really see why you have snorlax.

Posting x pokemon is good because it is good for its y stat doesn't help. Raters want to know your team building process, and why you picked everything, not what a move does. We all know what gengar can do, but what does he do for your team.
    Moreso, putting in a pokemon for the sake of liking it usually isn't the best idea, especially when your team isn't even built to support the pokemon. Lets take your Gallade. One of the listed counters is Gliscor. You don't carry Ice Punch on your Gallade, so what do you plan to do when it switches in? It can indefinitely stall you and none of your pokemon outside of Donphan can really harm it (Tangrowth too, I guess). It can just switch out to something else when it predicts the obvious Ice Shard, leaving you one step behind, again.

Elaborate on your process, is what I'm trying to say.

Super Puppy

The Jar of Almonds
    Years
    I suppose I didn't go very in-depth with my strategy, but as I said, this was rather rushed. My apologies, and thanks for rating anyway.

I could make something other than Gallade my lead. I'll have to debate what though.

Yeah, I'll switch Hypnosis for Will-o-Wisp. That was silly of me.

Donphan isn't the greatest Spinner, but that's not his main purpose. He's a tank and SRer, but I figured Rapid Spin couldn't hurt. If I did end up replacing him, a Spinner wouldn't necessarily take priority. But he has a high Def, which I need.

Thanks for the item tip on Togekiss. That just means I'll have to find another Leftovers.

I guess Tangrowth really isn't the greatest choice of Physical Wall. I was also thinking Weezing, but I guess he's not that fantastic either. Celebi sounds good to me.

I prefer Snorlax over Blissey namely because of his attacking capabilities. I could maybe change him too, though.

EDIT: I was thinking of possibly including a BPer as well. Perhaps Leafeon would work, it could pass Swords Dance (Gallade, Donphan, or maybe even Snorlax could recieve it, so I think it'd be more useful to this team than Nasty Plot) and put foes to sleep with Grasswhistle. Having two sleep-inducers on the team will be fun as well. Just a random thought, as I have no idea who it would replace. But I like Baton Pass, so I might try to work this out. I could maybe replace Togekiss, who's not incredibly helpful anyway. In that case, my team would now be:

Gengar
    Gallade
    Leafeaon/ other SD passer (possibly with high SDef to balance my defence capabilities)
    Celebi
    Donphan
    Snorlax

I think a team like this might sync a little better. I also kind of like this status-inducing theme I'm beginning. Maybe I'll put a status-inflicting move on Gallade as well (T-wave...)

Thoughts?

EDIT2: NINJASK! I didn't even think of that for some reason... soooooo much better than Leafeon.

Last edited:
    Years
    I suppose I didn't go very in-depth with my strategy, but as I said, this was rather rushed. My apologies, and thanks for rating anyway.

I could make something other than Gallade my lead. I'll have to debate what though.

Yeah, I'll switch Hypnosis for Will-o-Wisp. That was silly of me.
    Keep in mind Gallade makes a better lead when it runs Shadow Sneak. It helps with stuff like Azelf.
    Swords Dance/Shadow Sneak/Night Slash/Close Combat is probably your best bet.
    OP said:
    Donphan isn't the greatest Spinner, but that's not his main purpose. He's a tank and SRer, but I figured Rapid Spin couldn't hurt. If I did end up replacing him, a Spinner wouldn't necessarily take priority. But he has a high Def, which I need.
    In that case. Hippowdon is SO much better. It takes hits better, has recovery and SS Stall stuff. Trust me, you'll be fine with SS going. :D
    Incredible Miniture Canine said:
    Thanks for the item tip on Togekiss. That just means I'll have to find another Leftovers.

I guess Tangrowth really isn't the greatest choice of Physical Wall. I was also thinking Weezing, but I guess he's not that fantastic either. Celebi sounds good to me.
    Tangrowth is, in most cases, better than Weezing. Celebi can be a great tank, but you really want to run it with a bug resist or Heracross gives you massive problems.
    I prefer Snorlax over Blissey namely because of his attacking capabilities. I could maybe change him too, though.

EDIT: I was thinking of possibly including a BPer as well. Perhaps Leafeon would work, it could pass Swords Dance (Gallade, Donphan, or maybe even Snorlax could recieve it, so I think it'd be more useful to this team than Nasty Plot) and put foes to sleep with Grasswhistle. Having two sleep-inducers on the team will be fun as well. Just a random thought, as I have no idea who it would replace. But I like Baton Pass, so I might try to work this out. I could maybe replace Togekiss, who's not incredibly helpful anyway. In that case, my team would now be:
    Gengar
    Gallade
    Leafeaon/ other SD passer (possibly with high SDef to balance my defence capabilities)
    Celebi
    Donphan
    Snorlax

I think a team like this might sync a little better. I also kind of like this status-inducing theme I'm beginning. Maybe I'll put a status-inflicting move on Gallade as well (T-wave...)

Thoughts?

EDIT2: NINJASK! I didn't even think of that for some reason... soooooo much better than Leafeon.
    Well, If you go with Celebi, that can be a Cleric, if you really need it, although you do already have Snorlax for taking status. (Restalk)

As for SD Passing, you can't really benefit from it properly. Gallade learns it already; Donphan and Snorlax are too slow and are easily forced out. Also, Togekiss is not too great at the moment for Shoddy Battle. It's better on Wifi, but Shoddy is rampant with Rotom and Zapdos, which make it hard to use effectively.

I don't mean to sound like I only have bad things to say. You've got potential, but a more structured approach couldn't hurt. :D

Years
    Keep in mind Gallade makes a better lead when it runs Shadow Sneak. It helps with stuff like Azelf.
    Swords Dance/Shadow Sneak/Night Slash/Close Combat is probably your best bet.
    agreed but night slash and shadow sneak hit the same stuff so change out night slash for stone edge or ice punch!!

I dont see why you need a spinner when only 1 of your pokemon are SR weak.
    I see mixape weak as after 1 Np he will ko your entire team except maybe togekiss who will take a chunk from flamethrower,and with Sr might get koed.
    Gengar could revenge kill...but then again im not sure of that so mabe you wanna add something which can effectivly come in and kill/scare it off.
    gyarados does'nt outrun ape but intimidate helps.perhaps gyara over togekiss seeing you have a special wall.

Gyarados @ Lifr Orb
    Adamant
    72hp/252att/184spd
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Earthqake
    Ice Fang/Sone edge
    That would Really cover some of your weaknesses.
    you could also try mence,this team has potential.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Dos would work and it also helps with that nasty dual priority SD Lucario weakness, since Bullet Punch OHKO's Gengar, ES OHKO's Gallade and CC Finishes the rest of your team off after an SD. Possibly a bulkier set up may be in order for the Dos if you add it, idk but not standard bulkydos since that sucks quite frankly..

Also helps with Scizor weak kinda...

And i generally like the idea of W-O-W on Gengar since it screws up stuff like Meta, Scizor, Tar, Zong and what not in addition to other common switch ins..

Last edited:

Super Puppy

The Jar of Almonds
    Years
    I kind of like the idea of a Gyarados; it does seem useful. I could replace Ninjask for it. But I may do something a little different with the EVs, because right now Snorlax is the only thing I have that can switch in to Special Attackers (since replacing Togekiss). I'm gonna try and pump up it's SDef a little, so I have something like this:

Gyarados @ Enigma Berry/ Lefties
    Adamant/ Careful
    EVs: 146 HP, 104 Atk, 176 SDef, 80 Spe
    Ice Fang (huzzah for now having something that kills Dragons!)
    Stone Edge
    Waterfall
    Dragon Dance

Leaving me with:
    Gallade (now at: Swords Dance, Close Combat, Psycho Cut, Shadow Sneak)
    Gengar
    Snorlax
    Celebi
    Gyarados
    Donphan

The only thing that still concerns me about this team is my rate of physical attackers to special attackers, which is 4:2. But I don't know who to switch for something else. I definatley like where this team is going, though.

Years
    Gyarados @ Enigma Berry/ Lefties
    Adamant/ Careful
    EVs: 146 HP, 104 Atk, 176 SDef, 80 Spe
    Ice Fang (huzzah for now having something that kills Dragons!)
    Stone Edge
    Waterfall
    Dragon Dance
    looks ok but the idea of gyarados is to come in on physical sweepers intimidate them and proceed to dd and sweep.the thought of Gyara as a special wallish sweeper is a bad idea.
    Go adamant and pump some more eves into attack and defence.

how about.
    Gyarados @ Leftovers
    156hp/180att/74def/100spd
    ~Dragon Dance
    ~Waterfall
    ~Ice Fang
    ~Earthquake

now that looks like it can counter some of your weaknesses.And it can still switch into heatrans and such cause of the hp eves.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    looks ok but the idea of gyarados is to come in on physical sweepers intimidate them and proceed to dd and sweep.the thought of Gyara as a special wallish sweeper is a bad idea.
    Go adamant and pump some more eves into attack and defence.

how about.
    Gyarados @ Leftovers
    156hp/180att/74def/100spd
    ~Dragon Dance
    ~Waterfall
    ~Ice Fang
    ~Earthquake

now that looks like it can counter some of your weaknesses.And it can still switch into heatrans and such cause of the hp eves.

If your gonna do that you might aswell use *shudder* Bulkydos

Gyarados@Leftovers
    156 HP / 108 Atk / 100 Def / 144 Speed
    Adamant Nature
    - Taunt
    - Stone Edge
    - Waterfall
    - Dragon Dance

*Washes self* ew lol

But yeah it needs more speed to actually outspeed something after a DD to even pose a threat, namely Gengar.

Super Puppy

The Jar of Almonds
    Years
    I can do a spread something like: 108 HP, 116 Atk, 100 Def, 184 Spe.

I took a little out of HP to increase Spe and Atk, but it's still relativley bulky. I just kind of made that up (I hope I calculated corectly... hehehe), but what do you think?

Syaoran

most likely hates your guts
    Years
    The lack of steel type here disappoints me.. Salamence will be having a field day with your team.. Ice Shard Donphan isn't strong enough to OHKO. Infernape is also a problem since nothing here is safe to switch.

Super Puppy

The Jar of Almonds
    Years
    I'm going to run Ice Fang on Gyarados to take care of Mence and other Dragons.

I also want to replace Donphan I think, but I dunno what to use.

EDIT: Heatran?

Heatran @ Lefties
    Modest
    EVs: 196 HP / 104 SAtk / 208 SDef
    Will-o-Wisp
    Stealth Rock
    Earth Power
    Lava Plume/ Fire Blast

Last edited:

Noir Lancer

That One Guy
    Years
    You are Weavile, Infernape, Mamoswine and Scizor weak, you should have used Gyarados over Ninjask/ Togekiss if you so desperately wanted a flying type on board, it also makes a fairly good lead since you lack that as well. Dark+Azelf's spread, though standard, is far better. Use it instead.

- Shadow Sneak > Night Slash on Gallade to kill off weakened Ghosts and Psychics, Night Slash really isnt needed when Lax takes care of all them very well. Ice Punch < Psycho Cut, Psychic gets terrible coverage, Close Combat is enough in terms of STAB. With Ice Punch Gliscor no longer walls you and hits Salamence switch-ins far harder.

As for Gallade's item, it can use Life Orb well to some extent, seeing as it does get minimal Life Orb recoil with the 56 HP EVs. Choice Band is also pretty good since it can 2HKO Skarmory and negate Intimidate switch-ins Attack drops.Expert Belt is an option if you don't like the LO recoil or being locked into 1 move.

- 236 HP/ 216 Def/ 56 Spe on Tangrowth

I honestly dislike small Attack EV investments that are put "just because", they serve no real purpose and are usually a waste of EVs. The spread I suggested above reaches optimal Leftovers recovery, reaches a jump point in defense, and outspeeds Relaxed natured Swampert, Blissey and Machamp, and enough to outspeed the latter two if they decide to play the speed game. All without wasting a single EV in the process.

- 204 HP/ 56 Def/ 252 SpD on Snorlax

It is a well known fact that pokes with impressive base HP should be maxing out their defenses before their HP to reduce the damage they take. The HP investment reaches optimal Leftovers recovery if you are wondering, the Def EVs are extra.

Last edited:
    Years
    - 204 HP/ 56 Def/ 252 SpD on Snorlax

It is a well known fact that pokes with impressive base HP should be maxing out their defenses before their HP to reduce the damage they take. The HP investment reaches optimal Leftovers recovery if you are wondering, the Def EVs are extra.
    Uh, I don't really like this Idea. Snorlax should not be taking Physical hits, so there's little point in running Def, when you are reducing it's viability as a Special Wall. Considering Snorlax can ResTalk, an optimal Leftovers Stat is not necessary for longevity. In most cases, unless the Optimal HP Stat is around the 252-232 mark, you don't really gain anything, as you begin to lose bulk. Just run 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef, unless there's a specific hit it's meant to take.

Back