• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Ability Discussion

Mr. L

Tea.
    Years
    Ability name: Transparency
    In-game description: Takes no effect from phychical attacks, but doubles the power of special attacks.
    Additional effect(s): Reduces wild Pokemon encounter rate and damage from Hail and Sandstorm.

Ability name: Fighting Spirit
    In-game description: Boosts speed when hit by a fighting-type attack.
    Additional effect(s): The Pokemon with this ability is immune to fighting-type attacks.

Ability name: Loyalty
    In-game description: Increases the power of the Pokemon's first attack when a partner is defeated.
    Additional effect(s): If the Pokemon with this ability is sent out after a teammate is knocked out, the power of its first attack is increased by 50%.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    Close Tie: The Pokemon with this ability will gain happiness quicker, the power of Frustration is halved, the power of Return is multiplied by 1.5.

It also breeds quicker.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Close Tie: The Pokemon with this ability will gain happiness quicker, the power of Frustration is halved, the power of Return is multiplied by 1.5.

It also breeds quicker.
    The opposite of this would be
    Broken Tie: The pokemon would become anger faster, power of Frustration is multiplied by 1.5, etc. :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

It also breeds quicker.

Should probably be Close Bond.

Close Tie makes it sound like a draw kind of thing XD.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Pin-Point
    Effect: All Accuracy-reducing attacks are nullified
    Additional effect: All hidden items will be revealed.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pin-Point
    Effect: All Accuracy-reducing attacks are nullified
    Additional effect: All hidden items will be revealed.
    Infra-Red or something about Heat Seeking would be a better name. But, then again, Pin-Point has an odd type of appeal...

Sponge
    The power of moves that require charge-up are multiplied by 1.5. This is carried over even if, for example, SolarBeam is used during Sunny Day, and, thus, doesn't need to charge up.

Choice Power
    Powers up the first move used by 10%. Unlike the Choice Items, it doesn't restrict the Pokemon to the first move, though. (It's an ability, so I had to do 10%, or it would be too overpowered.)

Scale
    If moves are used in ascending order by base power, every one after the first one has an added 25%, which is carried over. (In other words, the second move has 125% its normal base power, the third move has 150% its normal base power, and the fourth move has 175% its normal base power). This obviously means that if a Pokemon with this ability has only one offensive move, its ability will never come into play.

FalseDestiny

Troll
    Years
    I can't come up with a name at all =/

Let's just call it Trickster or something.

Trickster
    Ineffective moves become not very effective.
    (So, thunderbolt on ground type becomes 1/2 damage)

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    I can't come up with a name at all =/

Let's just call it Trickster or something.

Trickster
    Ineffective moves become not very effective.
    (So, thunderbolt on ground type becomes 1/2 damage)

Fake-out would be a nice name.

Disruption: Any metal or electric Pokemon who enter the field suffer from lower accuracy. (This would be a good one for Porygon)

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    New Abilities Discussion

So whats your guys favorite new abilities? Mine is the fact that Ditto now has Eccentric which transforms them automatically so if Dittos appear in the wild they will appear as a wild Pokemon that you own. I think the weight ones are cool, but they aren't all that helpful now... I mean some moves relate to weight, but I don't see that being useful to you... Harvest is also cool as you can use the same berry on that Pokemon every time it triggers... Also you can talk about Dream World abilities and any changes to the Pokemon's old ability to the ability in Gen V.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    The only thing I have to say about the new abilities is..

LOL @ SEREBII'S SOURCE OF INFORMATION

He reported Meguroko's ability as Earthquake Spiral. I told him personally (and his staff multiple times) that it was wrong, and so have multiple other people, and they just completely ignored everyone.

So..

Yay for me being right.

/smugleaf

Anyways..

I like the one where you get poisoned on contact

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Mischevious Heart.

I'm going to love getting one up by using non-attacking moves. Encore, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Thunder-wave, Will-o-Wisp...my play style got a whole lot better.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Mischevious Heart increases your move's priority if it is non-offensive. Meaning, its like using a non-damaging Extreme Speed because your move will go first regardless of Speed.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Mischevious Heart increases your move's priority if it is non-offensive. Meaning, its like using a non-damaging Extreme Speed because your move will go first regardless of Speed.
    Oh no I remember what it is :)
    Well if they can learn Swords dance and know Aqua jet or a move like that that always goes first and attacks it would be dangerous and you wouldn't need to focus on it's Speed Ev's or Iv's...

Years

Oh no I remember what it is :)
    Well if they can learn Swords dance and know Aqua jet or a move like that that always goes first and attacks it would be dangerous and you wouldn't need to focus on it's Speed Ev's or Iv's...

Exactly. Imagine a speedy Swords Dance + a powerful priority move. :D throw on a focus sash and you're guaranteed a +2 Attack boost and at least one move yourself.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    My least favorite ability would be Weak-kneed. It's a hindering ability, similar to Truant and Slow Start. Your stats being seriously crippled when you reach below 50% health does no good (considering the fact that Aakeosu, who has that ability, has good offensive stats and Speed).

Back