• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Ability Discussion

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
  • My least favorite ability would be Weak-kneed. It's a hindering ability, similar to Truant and Slow Start. Your stats being seriously crippled when you reach below 50% health does no good (considering the fact that Aakeosu, who has that ability, has good offensive stats and Speed).

Oh are you serious!! I want Aakeosu on my team! Does it have a second ability?

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    The only thing I have to say about the new abilities is..

LOL @ SEREBII'S SOURCE OF INFORMATION

He reported Meguroko's ability as Earthquake Spiral. I told him personally (and his staff multiple times) that it was wrong, and so have multiple other people, and they just completely ignored everyone.

So..

Yay for me being right.

/smugleaf

Anyways..

I like the one where you get poisoned on contact

Serebii said Meguroko's ability was either Intimidate or Overconfidence with DW Ability as Anger Point...

I don't think Earthquake Spiral is even an ability... If it is I've never heard of it xD

I don't think the "Poison on touch" is needed I mean we have Poison Point why not just make Poison Point stronger xD

BTW for everyone that said Seaking having Lightningrod ability was stupid think again... Lightningrod now cancels all damage and increases the Pokemon hit by its Sp Atk

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • Serebii said Meguroko's ability was either Intimidate or Overconfidence with DW Ability as Anger Point...

I don't think Earthquake Spiral is even an ability... If it is I've never heard of it xD

I don't think the "Poison on touch" is needed I mean we have Poison Point why not just make Poison Point stronger xD

BTW for everyone that said Seaking having Lightningrod ability was stupid think again... Lightningrod now cancels all damage and increases the Pokemon hit by its Sp Atk

Exactly. He said it was Earthquake Spiral, not Overconfidence. Which was wrong, which is why it's not on the Pokedex.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    You ever ask if it was just a problem with his website? It usual is messy when a new game comes out xD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Serebii said Meguroko's ability was either Intimidate or Overconfidence with DW Ability as Anger Point...

yeah it's cool that Lightningrod got updated the way it did, but Seaking is a Physical fighter not a Special fighter so it's SA bonus when hit by electricity will be less great than if it was a Special fighter...
    though the fact that it doesn't get hurt by Electric attacks is cool enough :D

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013

yeah it's cool that Lightningrod got updated the way it did, but Seaking is a Physical fighter not a Special fighter so it's SA bonus when hit by electricity will be less great than if it was a Special fighter...

Still if your casual party has Seaking he prob has Surf and if your opponent switches to Elec your opponent's AI will use Elec attacks on Seaking and pump up your Seaking lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Earthquake spiral actually is Overconfidence. The Japanese name for the ability can be translated both ways.

Mischevious heart is awesome. Erufuun looked like a cute pokemon to start with, but it's now among my favorites for this new generation because of that ability. It doesn't get Sleep Powder though... :(

Years

• yeah it's cool that Lightningrod got updated the way it did, but Seaking is a Physical fighter not a Special fighter so it's SA bonus when hit by electricity will be less great than if it was a Special fighter...

Storm Drain works the same way now too. Negates damage from water moves and boosts SpA by +1 I think. :)

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Yes. This is why Gastrodon + Storm Drain is now a win, instead of a fail.

This exactly. I also wish it had gotten Regeneration in DW since Sand Strength seems useless for a defensive thing like him, idk.

Anyways, Archaeos' ability doesn't seem so bad to me, considering he won't last long in battle anyway, given his defenses. He's supposed to get a few hits in and faint a Pokemon or two before going out like a light due to SR weak and meh defenses. *shrug* It could be worse...

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    perseverity + leaf storm on jaroda is pretty awesome i have to say :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I found out that Pick-Up actually works during battle too. If your opponent uses a held item like an Oran Berry your pokemon will copy the item and hold onto it.

Also anyone have any idea what Haderia's other ability: Sand Fence/Sand Attack does?

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I found out that Pick-Up actually works during battle too. If your opponent uses a held item like an Oran Berry your pokemon will copy the item and hold onto it.

Also anyone have any idea what Haderia's other ability: Sand Fence/Sand Attack does?

i think sand attack or whatever its called boosts the power of certain attacks in a sand-storm or something

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • i think sand attack or whatever its called boosts the power of certain attacks in a sand-storm or something
    It's called "Sand Strength." It boosts the power of Rock, Ground and Steel moves in a sandstorm (according to Smogon). It's really neat that they gave it to Doryuuzu, who gets STAB on Ground and Steel.

Years
  • It's called "Sand Strength." It boosts the power of Rock, Ground and Steel moves in a sandstorm (according to Smogon). It's really neat that they gave it to Doryuuzu, who gets STAB on Ground and Steel.

And it makes Doryuuzu into a total tank. Add the 'Sand Strength' boost on top of STAB Earthquake, and a base 135 attack stat, and it will hurt many things. :D

It's defenses are meh, but that huge HP stat rounds it out.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • It's defenses are meh, but that huge HP stat rounds it out.

Let's not forget that it also gets a passable base 88 in Speed, which surprised me, because knowing it would be part-Steel kind of made me think it would be extremely slow...

Oh are you serious!! I want Aakeosu on my team! Does it have a second ability?

If it bothers you so, you could always use it in Doubles or Triples with a Pokemon that knows Simple Beam, or just outright attack a Desukan, or even! There's a move that changes the target's ability to the same one as the Pokemon using the attack. I forget the name of it, though...

I was actually a little worried about Faint-hearted myself, but I still think Aakeosu is a cool Pokemon, and among my favourites. ^^

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • If you pair Archaeos with something that knows Gastro Acid, that will cancel out the effect of its ability without getting rid of it or having to switch. Many Pokemon learn it, including Jaroda, who would make effective use of it given its defenses and high speed. You can then proceed to have Jaroda cancel out the foes' abilities. ;P

Back