• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] About the basics of Git and starting a project with the Pokeemerald-expansion

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    Yes.
    Please do read the main post before asking any questions.
    Read it in its entirety.
    The whole point of this tutorial is to help people deal with merge conflicts like the ones you've got.

My bad since I didnt point it out clearly , I was referring to "Remove graphics" section of the image
    The rom has been built successfully (I believe )
    Spoiler:

But for some reason it was corrupt , unless it's supposed to work out that way
    Spoiler:

So I was wondering if that was causing the problem

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • My bad since I didnt point it out clearly , I was referring to "Remove graphics" section of the image
    Nah, that's completely normal.
    The PE moves around the sprites of certain species like Castform or Unown.
    The way Git recognizes this is that sprites were added somewhere, and other sprites were removed.
    But for some reason it was corrupt , unless it's supposed to work out that way
    Spoiler:

So I was wondering if that was causing the problem
    Probably not.
    You're using VBA, so make sure that you have its save type set to Flash 128K by going to Emulation -> Options -> Save Type -> Flash 128K.
    You may also want to enable the RTC in Emulation -> Options -> Real Time Clock.
    Though really, you should be using mGBA to emulate GBA games with. VBA is old, hardware inaccurate and buggy.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    Nah, that's completely normal.
    The PE moves around the sprites of certain species like Castform or Unown.
    The way Git recognizes this is that sprites were added somewhere, and other sprites were removed.

Probably not.
    You're using VBA, so make sure that you have its save type set to Flash 128K by going to Emulation -> Options -> Save Type -> Flash 128K.
    You may also want to enable the RTC in Emulation -> Options -> Real Time Clock.
    Though really, you should be using mGBA to emulate GBA games with. VBA is old, hardware inaccurate and buggy.

I'm sure that I had already changed those settings ,but they reverted for some reason .Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I updated the main post yet again.
    I removed a mention of an old conflict that is no longer present, and added a mention about graphics/items/icons/orb.png, but other than that, it's basically the same.

Early this morning I also modified the "Linking our project with its GitHub Repository" Section because GitHub ditched the usage of passwords not so long ago.
    I had it in mind for a couple of months, but I just kept forgetting about it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also replaced the merge conflict pics with newer ones.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I did everything right but every time I have this error
    https://imgur.com/a/lXpYHV4
    You didn't install agbcc in your copy of the project.

ON: Edited the 6th step of the main post's Manual Merging section.
    Some times, when merging in big branches, Git may need to do a lot of file renaming operations as a result of the changes in said branches.
    It'll normally warn the user about this on their terminal and suggest them to raise the limit of its merge.renameLimit field and then try again.
    In order to avoid the headache I decided to add "the solution" for that to the main post after Discord user Missiri suggested it to me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    Thanks for the tutorial, im at the last step, building the rom, but im stuck with this problem. I dont know what to do, i checked battle_debug.c and i dont see anything wrong with the code of upgrade or the stick.

Problem Help!.PNG

I dont see the problem.PNG

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Thanks for the tutorial, im at the last step, building the rom, but im stuck with this problem. I dont know what to do, i checked battle_debug.c and i dont see anything wrong with the code of upgrade or the stick.

View attachment 99263

View attachment 99264
    The item_expansion has been revamped a couple of days back.
    HOLD_EFFECT_UP_GRADE and HOLD_EFFECT_STICK have been renamed to HOLD_EFFECT_UPGRADE and HOLD_EFFECT_LEEK respectively.
    The reason for this change is to follow the standard set by Pokémon SwSh.
    In those games, both items were renamed from Up-Grade and Stick, to Upgrade and Leek.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    Wow, thanks for responding so fast, that did work but now im stuck with another problem

Problem 2.PNG

help.PNG

is there a link with the finished code, like the ones you put in the tutorial?, so i can just check from there what went wrong instead of bother you every time i get an error.

thanks again for the help!

Years
  • Wow, thanks for responding so fast, that did work but now im stuck with another problem

is there a link with the finished code, like the ones you put in the tutorial?, so i can just check from there what went wrong instead of bother you every time i get an error.

If you look at your code in line 90, you'll see that "if_equal" doesn't finish with underscore. That's the correct way to write it

Btw, I don't understand why you're having such errors. You can take a look at the master branch of rhh on github to see the code (and even compare it to the other branches)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Wow, thanks for responding so fast, that did work but now im stuck with another problem

View attachment 99290

View attachment 99291

All the code for the feature branches is on the repository at GitHub.com, the same one that is linked multiple times throughout the tutorial.

Also, unless you're not using the battle_engine you shouldn't have a battle_ai_scripts.s file.
    AI Battle Scripts were revamped by Ghoulslash some months back. They're now written in normal functions of code.
    If you go check the data folder of the battle_engine branch on GitHub, you will see that file is no longer present.
    This is its replacement: https://github.com/rh-hideout/pokeemerald-expansion/blob/battle_engine/src/battle_ai_main.c

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    guess i should start all over again, maybe i messed up somewhere while merging.

Thanks for the help anyway

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • guess i should start all over again, maybe i messed up somewhere while merging.

Thanks for the help anyway
    Yeah, it's understandable.
    The recent revamp of the item_expansion introduced a huge number of new conflicts and I just haven't been in the mood to document all that.
    Most of the conflicts revolve around "copy what's in the BE for battle engine related files, and copy what's in the IE for item data related files".

The only conflict that can pose a real problem is the usage of gBattleResults.usedMasterBall in src/battle_script_commands.c, and the solution is to delete the lines where it's used.

EDIT: I have removed the mention to Cygwin as a viable option in the main post. devkitPro has been broken for about a year on my end, so I can no longer recommend it.
    Windows 7 or 8.1 users should stick to MSys2.

EDIT2: I'll probably dedicate a good part of tomorrow to the task of updating the tutorial to merge the branches.
    I'm thinking about making a glossary of sorts too at the beginning of the post with terms such as "commit" or "merge".
    I kinda don't like having them spread throughout the tutorial, as it makes it harder to point them out when needed.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Alright, done. I updated the main post yet again.
    I promise I wasn't procrastinating this time.
    In the past 2 days since I last edited my previous post, I submitted a couple of PRs to reduce the amount of merge conflicts when merging the branches.
    I was waiting for them to be merged into the repos before updating the tutorial.

At its core it's all basically the same. I shuffled some sentences around, fixed some typos. Nothing major.
    The biggest change is the process of merging the item_expansion into the battle_engine which now generates a handful of merge conflicts to deal with.

EDIT: Okay, it wasn't quite done yet, but it should be done now.
    PR 1969 had to be merged because of some changes to the Enigma Berry that had to be reverted to ease up the amount of merge conflicts like I mentioned above.
    I also forgot to add needed mentions to ITEM_UP_GRADE and ITEM_STICK which were renamed.
    Since the only files that use those constants and generate errors are src/data/pokemon/base_stats.h and src/data/pokemon/evolution.h, I mentioned it in their own merge conflict solving sections.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi, i was trying to start the second part of the tutorial but i ran into a problem:
    unknown.png

What should i do here?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hi, i was trying to start the second part of the tutorial but i ran into a problem:
    unknown.png

What should i do here?
    UNIX based systems are case sensitive. Are you sure that the repository you wanna push to is linked to a remote called "ORIGIN" and not "origin"?
    You can check this using git remote -v.

Years
  • unknown.png

Well I used remote -v, so what do u think I should do now? I know i'm meant to see a popup for my username and token but it never shows up

Thx for replying btw

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • unknown.png

Well I used remote -v, so what do u think I should do now? I know i'm meant to see a popup for my username and token but it never shows up

Thx for replying btw
    git push origin battle_engine, assuming that the branch you're currently on is actually called "battle_engine".
    I explain all this in the main post of this very thread.

Back