• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Activision buys MLG for $46 million

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Major League Gaming has sold "substantially all" of its assets to Activision Blizzard for the price of $46 million, effectively bringing about an end to the esports company as it was once known. That's according to a report from esportsobserver.com, which says MLG called a special meeting on December 21 where the company's board of directors authorized a sale to the Call of Duty and World of Warcraft company.

As part of this change, MLG CEO Sundance DiGiovanni has reportedly exited the company, replaced in that role by Greg Chisholm. He was previously the CFO of MLG. MLG co-founder Mike Sepso left the company earlier this year and now works as an executive for Activision's newly formed esports division.
    Source

Like the article goes on to say, Call of Duty and Halo were originally the main big MLG esports games played. While I don't think it would be wise, Activision could put more emphasis on these titles. I still think that the main games showcased should be League of Legends, DOTA 2, Starcraft and bigger games like these because they attract the most attention and have the most fans. I do think that we will be seeing a big shift in the esports industry as the deal progresses. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on what type of games you like.

One thing's for certain though: rip Smash Bros.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Just a boy with impossibly high hopes that Smash will be half as big as LoL one day. :'(

GlakeGG

The Phantom Prince
    Years
  • Some sort of transition was expected to happen this year with the company. Dudes are cashing out while they still can, and Activision is looking to take things to the next level.

Whenever MLG returns under Activision, it's pretty safe to say the Circuit will be a main season league for their World Championship Series. That includes, Call of Duty, StarCraft 2, HearthStone, Heroes of the Storm, WoW, and soon Overwatch.

Smash was on the MLG Circuit last year for a few events, but no, I don't ever see the game becoming a TRADITIONAL eSport unless Nintendo allows it to go in that direction. The game however, is being sported in a lot of large scale upcoming eSports events. Will the turnout be as large as LoL? Nope. But neither is any other eSport title tbh aside from DOTA 2.

Back