• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Actually calling out the pokemon's move?

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
That would be bad, as if I'm playing in public/with my brother/friends, and if I have a Chimchar with say Ember and Growl, and I want to use Ember, someone can shout Growl and screw me up :P

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
Years
  • Age 30
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 19, 2016
I like the idea. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, I wouldn't be able to go out in public with it. Maybe as a turn on/turn off feature.

It would certainly get you into the game more, however, what if the microphone messed up your command?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Am I the only one that misinterpreted the OP's post so that I thought he was suggesting we record ourselves calling out the attack whenever a pokemon learns it, and the game plays it back whenever we use that attack from then on out?

...because that would be a neat little touch. :D

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Am I the only one that misinterpreted the OP's post so that I thought he was suggesting we record ourselves calling out the attack whenever a pokemon learns it, and the game plays it back whenever we use that attack from then on out?

Kind of like Chatot's Chatter gimmick? Still would be nice for those who would use it, but optional for those that don't. And it would lessen the amount of times that the player has to say the attack name, making it easier for those who play in public, or for those afraid that someone will walk by and say the wrong attack.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
Years
It's a neat thought, but not one they should do on a handheld game. There's too much that can go wrong with something like that. Just like bomberman, where you can yell "bomb" to lay a bomb, doing so in a public place will not only make you look like a complete ass but would most likely get you inadvertently arrested for causing a panic. Likewise, saying some moves will garner you much unwanted negative attention in public.

And voice technology isn't even close to good even on things that need to use it. It would most likely end up being a feature that picks a move you didn't want to do on so many occasions you stop using it altogether. And something like that would very much ruin an online match because if you talk at all, for one your strategy is blown because your opponent can hear what you're trying to do, and if you accidentally call out an attack while just making conversation you'll run into all sorts of disconnection bullcrap. They're better off avoiding it.

Silver.Nova

Golden Smile and Silver Tears
Years

That would be cool, but I'm more of a fan of hearing an original voice for the character as they speak in cutscenes or battles.

I wouldn't mind this but there are quite a few drawbacks. I prefer professional voice actors doing the work for me and go back to cursing at my games on my own time.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
Years
ooohhh man!
i would so go to like a Movie Theater and get a buddy (or 3) xD
and stand in like that area where NO ONE seems to be at
but be like 30 feet away from eachother so theres a weird gap that seems like THATS where the battle is...
or better yet a Soccer Feild... it's already in the Shape of a PokeBall =P
start a Battle and just Yell out the Commands and watch the people and their WTF faces xD
oh man... that'd be so hilarious =D
i wouldn't be embarrassed at all...whats more i'd probably be trying hard to keep a straight face xD

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
I would rather want the character to call the move, after you push the button. That way you would not need to use your own voice

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
Years
Yeah, only if it were an option, because i'm only allowed to play DS for a 1/2 hour a day, so I do all my playing at night in secret.

It's a neat thought, but not one they should do on a handheld game. There's too much that can go wrong with something like that. Just like bomberman, where you can yell "bomb" to lay a bomb, doing so in a public place will not only make you look like a complete ass but would most likely get you inadvertently arrested for causing a panic. Likewise, saying some moves will garner you much unwanted negative attention in public.

And voice technology isn't even close to good even on things that need to use it. It would most likely end up being a feature that picks a move you didn't want to do on so many occasions you stop using it altogether. And something like that would very much ruin an online match because if you talk at all, for one your strategy is blown because your opponent can hear what you're trying to do, and if you accidentally call out an attack while just making conversation you'll run into all sorts of disconnection bullcrap. They're better off avoiding it.

Ummmmmmmm yeah and if you are in the bathroom or something and you yell "Hydro Cannon!" and somebody heard you in there that would be AWKWARD

Last edited:

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I've ALWAYS wanted this. All these people are getting on my nerves saying "It would get annoying". YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO IT. You could just do it like you always do it if you want, it would just be a cool feature to make it more realistic. I think it would be awesome. It's always been my dream to say "Psychic." And have it respond... holy crap I have no life. :[

PLEASE PUT THIS IN THE GAMES. ;_________________;

Jerme

stupid
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
I've ALWAYS wanted this. All these people are getting on my nerves saying "It would get annoying". YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO IT. You could just do it like you always do it if you want, it would just be a cool feature to make it more realistic. I think it would be awesome. It's always been my dream to say "Psychic." And have it respond... holy crap I have no life. :[

PLEASE PUT THIS IN THE GAMES. ;_________________;

by annoying, we mean something like this: imagine you are on an airplane, and a little kid is playing his ds, with b/w. and the kid doesnt know any better, so he well be yelling out "PIKACHU, USE THUNDERBOLT!!!!!!!!!!!" over and over again.

Lolfish

One step below magikarp :D
Years
Wow I can see alot of problems with this Idea.
-Annoying Distractions, if you are in a battle against one of your friends, I can see alot of errors with this.

Foe "Scratch!"
Your Charmander uses scratch when it was intended for their Zigzagoon.

Hehe I can Imagine some kid screaming when doing this

"Pidgey use Pluck!" "Come on Squirtle use your Watergun!"-Hehe that would scare some people that have no clue what pokemon is.
"Zekrom use Draco Meteor!" People would just stare at you. 0.o

loliwin

→ Level 69
Years
Ohhhhhhnooooo.
Definitely not. Imagine people calling the move with the pokemon's nickname like "cmon penis! use water gun!"
Just sayin.

Totaldile

appeared! Totaldile used RAWR!
Years
I'm suprised this thread is still alive and on the first page o.o
When I created it, I thought nobody would post xD.
Anyway, I'm guessing if this was implemented it would be COMPLETELY optional and made obvious that it was. Nintendo wouldn't want other being ticked off because one it's games has it's features. Still, you wouldn't be able to do it in public, because the DS mic is fail of an epic variety.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I remember when I used the mic w/ Chatot, and I was frustrated because I couldn't get it to exactly pronounce what I wanted it to say! The DS mic is horrible 99.9% of the time for me, so in a way yelling out moves would be cool but also a headache too.

Years
"Electrode, use Toxic!" ELECTRODE used Explosion.

Aside from the fact that the DS has an awful mic, there's outside noises, the pronunciations of the names of some moves, etc. It would just be a waste of time to include such a flawed feature.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I've ALWAYS wanted this. All these people are getting on my nerves saying "It would get annoying". YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO IT.
But what about those little children who the game (and it's features) are targeted for? A young child probably also really really wants to yell out an attack and have their Pokemon respond.

It's kind of like that headphone accessory for the Nintendo system, way back when. The headphones worked like regular ones, but they also had a microphone that, when yelled into, could be used like a firing gun. So sure, the people around the player wouldn't hear the actual game, but they'd hear the player yell "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!" repeatedly. This possible feature in the Pokemon games reminds me of that.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
That'd be stupid atleast if you had to because some of us can't talk that good and some of us don't wanna scream at our DS outside in the middle of millions of people "Pikachu ThunderShock!!!!!" especally if your at a concert lol and what if your battlin your friend then he/she would know what you used so he/she would have an advantage although it would be cool if it was optional.
WHAT IF you screamed at your DS and depending on how loud you did your acouracy would boost?
Like GENGAR YOUR MOTHER F****R USE HYPNOSIS B**** OR I'LL THROW MY DS AT THE WALL!!! and it would always work!
Ok maybe not like that but you get the point.
Whew...

Pac-Man1096

Pokémon GrayStone Version
Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2012
I'd actully like the idea, but I don't think it'll be done. Any, if it were implemented, here is how I think it sould go: GameFreak were to add a new option to the battle menu on the touch screen that would say "Voice Command" and you say the name of the attack, or you could just manually select "Fight" and choose your attack. It'd be nice, but it'd need a lot more than that unrealistic NintenDogs programing.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2010
It would make you look like a idiot, and it reminds me of chatots special move where you recorded your voise. that went terible.

Back