• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advice for my Monotype Flying Team

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2016
    Flying type has been my favorite type all-time, and I decided to create a monotype flying team to battle against friends in a tournament with both singles and doubles. The only rules my friends have for the tournament is absolutely no legendaries, so unfortunately I can't use Pokemon like Landorus or Tornadus as much as I want to include them. My playing style is offensive while recovering HP when needed.

I would like some advice for how I could improve my team. I also need help on deciding on a sixth member for my team based on the Pokemon I have.

Altaria (F) @ Life Orb (If not using mega)/ Altarianite - Marina
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Cloud Nine (Before Mega-evolving)/ Pixilate
    EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
    -Roost
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Dance
    -Dragon Claw/Hyper Voice

Marina is one of my sweepers. Her nature is jolly to catch up to scarfed Pokemon. Roost helps me recover when needed, and Earthquake helps cover electric, rock, and steel types. Dragon Dance helps with sweeping. Dragon Claw and Hyper Voice are both STAB moves, and they work well in different situations. Dragon Claw works well without mega-evolving, and hyper voice works well after mega-evolving so trying to choose which one over the other is troubling.

Skarmony (M) @ Leftovers - Noir
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Def/ 252 HP / 4 Spe
    -Roost
    -Spikes
    -Toxic/Iron Head
    -Stealth Rock/Whirlwind

Noir is my lead. Spikes and Stealth Rock is to set up hazards. Roost helps recover HP, and Toxic helps kill HP of other Pokemon. Whirlwind is for if I'm in a single instead of a double battle. I considered Iron Head to cover Fairy types, but I wasn't sure if I should use it. I debated for a while about how much I should put into HP and Spe.

Talonflame (F) @ Rocky Helmet - Robin
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Gale Wings
    -Brave Bird
    -Flare Blitz
    -Taunt
    -Roost/Tailwind

Robin is my second lead in doubles, and she is also a physical sweeper utility. She's an excellent revenge killer as well. I gave her 252 Spe to out-speed Jolteon and other Talonflames. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz are her STAB moves. Taunt gets rid of hazards. I wasn't sure if I should keep Tailwind for doubles, or go with Roost to recover HP.

Staraptor (M) @ Sharp Beak/ Life Orb - Maru
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Reckless
    -Brave Bird
    -Close Combat
    -Return
    -Roost

I keep using the same EV Spread for multiple Pokemon because it works well. Maru is my other revenge killer. Brave Bird dishes out heavy damage with STAB and Reckless. Close Combat is for ice, rock, and steel types. Roost is for recovering HP. He uses Return instead of Double-Edge because I unfortunately do not have access to any of the Togekiss line at the moment to breed a Staraptor with Double-Edge. I didn't want to use CHoice items because I like having flexibility with changing between moves.

Pidgeot (M) @ Pidgeotite - Joshua
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Big Pecks (Before Mega-evolving)/ No Guard
    EVs: 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
    -Hurricane
    -Heat Wave
    -Hyper Beam
    -U-turn

Nobody expects a Pidgeot on a competitive monotype flying team, and Pidgeot is sadly underrated. I have to say that its move pool is small and it didn't gain much from its mega, but I'm using Pidgeot because it was the first Pokemon I caught in Pokemon Red and for the nostalgia. Joshua is my special attack sweeper. Hurricane is his STAB move. Heat Wave is for coverage, and there wasn't much I could work with for coverage from his small move pool. Hyper Beam is a last resort when he is too weak to KO. U-turn is for scouting and escaping hazards.

Last edited:
    Years
    My first question, is Mega-Altaria actually allowed since it loses its Flying typing? If the answer to that question is "yes", replace Dragon Claw/Hyper Voice with Return since you're using a physical set. I would also recommend Natural Cure over Cloud Nine in case you accidentally switch into a status move. If the answer is "no", switch to Togekiss.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Air Slash
    - Thunder Wave
    - Roost

or

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Bold Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Air Slash
    - Heal Bell
    - Roost

Give Skarmory the Rocky Helmet you currently have on T-Flame. Talon would prefer to have a Sharp Beak.

If you're running a Choice item, like on your Staraptor, you can't run Roost. You get locked into a healing move. If you intend to keep using the Choice Scarf, replace Roost with U-Turn (pretty sure it gets it). Otherwise you'll need a different item.

If you replace Altaria, and choose to use M-Pidgeot, get rid of Hyper Beam. It's a terrible move. Roost would be better since it's already got plenty powerful attacks in a Hurricane and a Heat Wave that never miss. If you choose to keep Altaria, you may as well get rid of Pidgeot because without its mega it's totally useless.

Anyway, I think you might want to choose either doubles or singles. This team doesn't look particularly well-suited to doubles if you ask me (although I don't know doubles well). Also, I'm pretty sure all those 6s you have in your EVs should be 4s.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    My first question, is Mega-Altaria actually allowed since it loses its Flying typing? If the answer to that question is "yes", replace Dragon Claw/Hyper Voice with Return since you're using a physical set. I would also recommend Natural Cure over Cloud Nine in case you accidentally switch into a status move. If the answer is "no", switch to Togekiss.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Air Slash
    - Thunder Wave
    - Roost

or

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Bold Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Air Slash
    - Heal Bell
    - Roost

Give Skarmory the Rocky Helmet you currently have on T-Flame. Talon would prefer to have a Sharp Beak.

If you're running a Choice item, like on your Staraptor, you can't run Roost. You get locked into a healing move. If you intend to keep using the Choice Scarf, replace Roost with U-Turn (pretty sure it gets it). Otherwise you'll need a different item.

If you replace Altaria, and choose to use M-Pidgeot, get rid of Hyper Beam. It's a terrible move. Roost would be better since it's already got plenty powerful attacks in a Hurricane and a Heat Wave that never miss. If you choose to keep Altaria, you may as well get rid of Pidgeot because without its mega it's totally useless.

Anyway, I think you might want to choose either doubles or singles. This team doesn't look particularly well-suited to doubles if you ask me (although I don't know doubles well). Also, I'm pretty sure all those 6s you have in your EVs should be 4s.
    Mega Altaria > Mega Pidgeot. The type of the original form is what matters on monotype: https://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/monotype/

Cloud Nine is also a viable ability on regular Altaria before it Mega Evolves to check Charizard Y.

To compress what gimmepie said:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Roost
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Altarianite

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake/Substitute/Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/96 SDef/28 Spe

or
    -Return/Hyper Voice
    -Earthquake/Fire Blast/Perish Song/Roar
    -Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish/Bold/Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/156 SDef

or
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast
    -Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 248 HP/168 SAtk/92 Spe

A Calm nature is bad for Skarmory, as its good moves are physical, not special. That, and its Special Attack is pathetic:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Whirlwind/Taunt
    -Brave Bird/Counter
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

or
    -Iron Head
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Taunt/Whirlwind
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Talonflame is too frail to utilize Rocky Helmet. Sharp Beak for Brave Bird or no item for Acrobatics is what Talonflame should run:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Sharp Beak/Sky Plate/none
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp