• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Alders old partner

Years
    Yeah so i've always wondered what alders 'old' pokemon was. Ghetis keeps metioning Alder losing his Pokemon to some illness and i thought it was interesting that they brought death into Pokemon. So yeah i just want to know what Pokemon everyone thinks Alder had as his partner.

I personally think that his old partner was Kyurem it just makes sense Kyurem's Pokedex entry states 'It generates a powerful, freezing energy inside itself, but its body became frozen when the energy leaked out.' and i think this is what Ghetis meant when he said the he lost his Pokemon due to illness, and it makes sense that all the unovan (made up word) champion would have there own 'Dragon' or maybe his partner was Zoroark or that ampharos that got sick on SS any way idk

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I've always thought it was a bug, since half his team is Bug type. That's really all I've thought of, the games left it pretty ambiguous.

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    [SIZE="a"]There's a creepypasta theory that his pokemon was in the Deino line, which is why Ghetsis has an underleveled one.[/SIZE]

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    That's a really good question, and I've always wondered the same thing... I thought this would be revealed after defeating him, but finally no. I also thought that the Pokémon was a Volcarona, but as he has one in his team, I guess that not.
    I think we'll probably know the answer in Pokémon Gray.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2014
    I would assume that it would be one of the starter Pokemon, but maybe Pokemon Grey could shed some light on the subject. Also a link to that creepypasta would be pretty cool.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
    It may be mentioned in the series much later on, maybe not. I was thinking the same one that Mentalii said but now I think that it's something else.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Death has come up since the first games, remember Cubone's mother and Green/Blue's Raticate? Also, in the Pokémon Tower, Lost Tower, Mt. Pyre etc.

Anyway, there's a chance in over 600 Pokémon being Alder's old partner. I suppose the more liable ideas would perhaps be one of the Unova starters, but that's also a big long shot. I hope the manga or anime might be able to expand on this whole thing.

Years
    I actually see Lombre being the partner pokemon, just because it looks like it'd be perfect with how Alder looks like now.

Failing that, I'd go with Darmanitan or Darumaka.
    EDIT: Also thought of it being Gardevoir, maybe a bit of PMD1 mixed in? Alder was Gengar?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2021
    Since Skyla healed a Pokemon on the tower, and you can find Rayquaza there his partner was Rayquaza.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Shadow Entei, naturally.

I'm still convinced that Alder and Cipher Admin Dakim from Colosseum are one and the same due to their uncanny resemblance, and the story of his partner dying is a complete lie since Wes snagged his "partner" xD

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
    I honestly believe it was a Volcorana. Why? Because his hair looks like the wings on a Volcorana. Also, the number it could be is not 600, but merely 150+, because he would be limited to the Unovan Pokemon.

The only other pokemon I could think of is Genesect.

Magica

Miss Magic
    Years
    I think he had a Larvesta as his first Pokemon (going off of what Beloved said). It may or may have not evolved, but at some point he lost it.

I think that's why his team is mostly dedicated to the Bug Type, why his main Pokemon is Volcarona, and it could explain his character design a bit too. Plus, Larvesta is a rare Pokemon, and would make for an interesting, innocent beginner Pokemon that becomes powerful, just like Alder himself.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think he had a Larvesta as his first Pokemon (going off of what Beloved said). It may or may have not evolved, but at some point he lost it.

I think that's why his team is mostly dedicated to the Bug Type, why his main Pokemon is Volcarona, and it could explain his character design a bit too. Plus, Larvesta is a rare Pokemon, and would make for an interesting, innocent beginner Pokemon that becomes powerful, just like Alder himself.
    I share the same sentiments as Magica, aside from the condition that it may or may not have evolved. It didn't evolve, in my mind.

Years
    I still think it's Kyurem but then all of your guy's posts are still sounding true aswell but i really don't think it would be a Pokemon from any other region except maybe that marowak that died in Lavender town but maybe Kyurem didn't 'Die' but maybe lost control or something. It might have been a Volcarona though.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
    Marowak was killed by Team Rocket in Lavender Town according to an NPC in the Kanto region. In Alder's old partner case, it may be a Volcarona that was a Larvesta he took care of since his childhood and it probably died prior to this game's release and the Volcarona he has now probably reminded him of his first. But again, I could be wrong.

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
    I still think it's Kyurem but then all of your guy's posts are still sounding true aswell but i really don't think it would be a Pokemon from any other region except maybe that marowak that died in Lavender town but maybe Kyurem didn't 'Die' but maybe lost control or something. It might have been a Volcarona though.

Ok, Kyurem could only be his partner if he was over 200 years old, since Kyurem fought against the Swordsman Pokemon during the Pokemon Rebellion, which took place well before the story of Team Plasma, or even Alder for that matter.

To those thinking that was impossible: When you freeze something, it stays that way for hundreds to thousands of years. Since Kyurem froze, it is only logical that it would have stayed in a state of suspended animation until its wounds were healed and was awakened by the Hero.

Years
    Ok i really want to know what Alder's Pokemon was so i did some googling and found out some kind of interesting stuff. Since i really want to know what his Pokemon was i am not going to guess at all just list the possibilities.
    1. Alder seems to be based on an American Indian kind of guy and his hair resembles Volcarona's wings. I also think he has some connection to the relic castle (Obviously)
    2. The Pokemon that died was Alders Starter (Bulbapedia) and Before it died the two were pursuing strength (In a similar way to Cheren)
    3. After the Pokemon died Alder began to wonder aimlessly around Unova and it changed how he looked at life
    4. Alders Partner now rests at Celestial Tower "My old partner is resting here in the Celestial Tower. It was the first Pokémon I received when I became a Trainer. I come here to ring the bell and comfort its spirit."
    "It was a strong Pokémon. It was courageous, noble, and kind... Together, we madly perused strength... Without even knowing the meaning of strength."
    Ok so now i don't think it was Kyurem But since it was his starter and he is an american indian (Based on at least) i'm thinking his starter was rufflet i also think the theory that other guy posted could be right about it being a deino etc but then again Alder said it was kind and i don't really think Hydreigon is kind at all although a champion could definitely hmmm idk make a Pokemon kind or something

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    Hmm... Pretty good question there. :)

I think it is Keldeo. Using Alder's Quote,

"It was a strong Pokémon. It was courageous, noble, and kind... Together, we madly pursued strength... Without even knowing the meaning of strength."

Keldeo could be seen as the 'fourth' member of the musketeers, it could also be considered as noble, courageous, and kind. Also, since keldeo is considered as an 'incomplete' form of the musketeers, it could also be seen as the reckless child, seeing strength as something other than 'its true meaning' :)

keldeo is also mentioned to take off to the forest without any known reason. Maybe this is where it felt its calling to wait for Alder's arrival and such. However, it 'died' in a manner befitting a Legendary. Maybe it was called on to bigger things, much like how 'Celebi' could be considered dead in the movie. And maybe, Alder was chosen to keep the secret of keldeo. :)

I'm just drawing blanks here. tell me what you think of this. :)

Years
    I have several different ideas.
    One of them is that it may have been a fighting type: meinshao, conkeldurr, or scrafty... more than likely scrafty.
    Why?
    bc marshall is the only member of the elite four that calls alder his mentor, or even speaks of alder much at all...
    which could also lead to his pokemon being psychic or flying type if you picture the teacher just spanking the pupil down all the time.

Then my other theory....
    The reason why ghetsis teases him through out the dialogue about his pokemon... Is because ghetsis infact gave his pokemon the injury that led up to its life ending. Then robbing the remains and appointing one of his scientist to reconstruct the pokemon that helped alder become so powerful....Or the pokemons grave was robbed that seems more like ghetsis ( early game's ) style but then again who expected his roster to be that beefed up? in comparison to alders?
    Ghetsis is as mysterious if not more than N and Alder.

Well as my run on sentences and rambiling have taken me off subject I will sum it up.
    My other theory is that Genesect was his partner ( before plasma did what they did to it )

We could hope...

It would make for a real emotional story in the third installment,... You having to take out the war crazed genesect because Alder just doesnt have the heart to do it as he flashes back to growing with his partner dah dah dah etc. etc.

Back