• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola's relations to Kalos

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I'm worrying on the fact if there's gonna be more islands other than Alola so that we can island-hop, though that's unique, I worry that Kalos,it's plotholes, or Zygarde won't get featured in the post-game. I know the forms will be in the game, but I feel it's deeply connected with Kalos more, as it's native there. And from what i hear that the 3ds can store up to 8GB max, I'm not sure if this is possible.

I don't want to get the feeling that they duped Kalos, Zygarde, and AZ's Floette in favor of this. Or if they tried to just shove Zygarde's forms into the new region as an excuse, how will Xerneas and Yveltal be in the new region too? I wonder how they will manage the third legendary of this new region, if the trademark name "Marshadow" ends up being real, and not making Sun/Moon half-assed games that a future sequel is gonna fixed all of them. And since the NX won't be coming until March 2017, I don't think future main games are going to stay on the 3ds.

Its a long pull, but the Bat Legendary looks very similar to Olympia, the Psychic Gym Leader from Gen 6. Just go ahead and compare them. There's also the stuff of the Backpacker in Gen 6 hinting to a new Region and hyping it up like none before. No other game has ever done that. Not Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4, and Gen 5. Gen 6 is the only one that has pulled off this clue. In addition, there has been a mention of a "Moondial", as opposed to the "Sundial" in Gen 6. There's the stuff that Zygarde's cores are powered by sunlight, etc, etc. There's a lot of clues scattered in Gen 6 relating to Gen 7.

This new region reminds me of the Sevii Islands from Kanto. But,I think this region shouldn't be too far from Kalos. It may be based off of Hawaii, but it could also have it's European slant by being an island chain based off the Mediterranean.

The latter would help out the Kalos sequel since it would be the region to its immediate south (or in this case it would be southeast).

I'm still optimistc about these games, so I hope they will deliver to many fans..

Omg you're so right. I now rememeber that that Backpacker also gives u a stranger souvenir, that looks like a Totem. There's no doubt it's related to Alola and that means they have planned Alola from the very start.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think you'll get to travel there post-game... and maybe see scenes out of previous games too. Like it's too early to assume. Just because we'll most likely be travelling island to island doesn't discount that we can travel to Kalos by plane. Zygarde would be the first legendary completely ignored storyline wise for a few generations and there's no need to do that when all recent games have aimed to expand plot, expand characters etc.

I mean maybe Zygarde's 100% forme is let loose on the island by the evil team (assuming there is one) and your legendary has to stop it by bringing the night ahead or the day ahead idk something along those lines. Then you catch it and have to return it to Kalos and in the mean time your professor asks you to complete pokedex research there for him. Boom. It's a stretch but hey anything can happen right?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I'm worrying on the fact if there's gonna be more islands other than Alola so that we can island-hop, though that's unique, I worry that Kalos,it's plotholes, or Zygarde won't get featured in the post-game. I know the forms will be in the game, but I feel it's deeply connected with Kalos more, as it's native there. And from what i hear that the 3ds can store up to 8GB max, I'm not sure if this is possible.

I don't want to get the feeling that they duped Kalos, Zygarde, and AZ's Floette in favor of this. Or if they tried to just shove Zygarde's forms into the new region as an excuse, how will Xerneas and Yveltal be in the new region too? I wonder how they will manage the third legendary of this new region, if the trademark name "Marshadow" ends up being real, and not making Sun/Moon half-assed games that a future sequel is gonna fixed all of them. And since the NX won't be coming until March 2017, I don't think future main games are going to stay on the 3ds.

Its a long pull, but the Bat Legendary looks very similar to Olympia, the Psychic Gym Leader from Gen 6. Just go ahead and compare them. There's also the stuff of the Backpacker in Gen 6 hinting to a new Region and hyping it up like none before. No other game has ever done that. Not Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4, and Gen 5. Gen 6 is the only one that has pulled off this clue. In addition, there has been a mention of a "Moondial", as opposed to the "Sundial" in Gen 6. There's the stuff that Zygarde's cores are powered by sunlight, etc, etc. There's a lot of clues scattered in Gen 6 relating to Gen 7.

This new region reminds me of the Sevii Islands from Kanto. But,I think this region shouldn't be too far from Kalos. It may be based off of Hawaii, but it could also have it's European slant by being an island chain based off the Mediterranean.

The latter would help out the Kalos sequel since it would be the region to its immediate south (or in this case it would be southeast).

I'm still optimistc about these games, so I hope they will deliver to many fans..

I feel your pain. :( There are still A LOT of loose ends that need to be tied up in Kalos (Zygarde, AZ's Floette, Strange Souvenir), and I was really hoping that Sun/Moon would be GSC-style sequels to XY. Many fans have been longing for another multiregion/sequel generation for years now, anyways, so that would've made for an excellent 20th Anniversary game.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to get the feeling that Kalos really is getting left behind without closure. I mean, why set the new games in Hawaii if they're going to have any connection to games set in France?

What seems to have happened was that GF was planning a Z or X2Y2 at one point, but then scrapped it at the last minute for Sun/Moon and Gen 7. This would explain why XY have so many loose ends (including an obvious third Mascot Legendary without either a backstory or a game), as well as why there was no new game released in 2015.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I feel your pain. :( There are still A LOT of loose ends that need to be tied up in Kalos (Zygarde, AZ's Floette, Strange Souvenir), and I was really hoping that Sun/Moon would be GSC-style sequels to XY. Many fans have been longing for another multiregion/sequel generation for years now, anyways, so that would've made for an excellent 20th Anniversary game.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to get the feeling that Kalos really is getting left behind without closure. I mean, why set the new games in Hawaii if they're going to have any connection to games set in France?

What seems to have happened was that GF was planning a Z or X2Y2 at one point, but then scrapped it at the last minute for Sun/Moon and Gen 7. This would explain why XY have so many loose ends (including an obvious third Mascot Legendary without either a backstory or a game), as well as why there was no new game released in 2015.

Yes it's a real shame, Kalos has so much potential. One thing that bugs me is that u get that stranger souvenir in XY, when it's clearly referring to Alola. It puts me under the impression that GF weren't planning on making a Z/X2Y2 etc version from the very start.

Years
  • Unfortunately, I'm starting to get the feeling that Kalos really is getting left behind without closure. I mean, why set the new games in Hawaii if they're going to have any connection to games set in France?

I second you, Kalos is getting more and more likely to be left behind without any loose ends wrapped up since Alola is looking to be distant from Kalos, and that means we'll likely only be focusing on the new legendaries and other new plotlines that are introduced.

Game Freak never officially stated on what Zygarde's fate was, but I presume that they had been planning to make Sun & Moon for the entirety of the period that 6th Gen was out, and if that were the case it means GF have really been spending a lot of time because they wanted 7th Gen to look so beautiful, especially now that everything is full-3D and overworld people are now full-sized.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    Ok for all of you saying that since Kalos is based on France, and Alola is based on Hawaii that because those two real life locations are nowhere near each other, the two in game regions can't be either. Here's a little thought for you, the game is a piece of fictional material! Just because France and Hawaii are nowhere near each other does not mean anything when you consider that the content in the games is fictional and especially when you consider that the fact that in X&Y the storyline tells us plenty of times of a neighboring region of which Kalos was at war with thousands of years ago! You get that? X&Y tells us through its story that there was indeed a neighboring region just off the shores of Kalos!!! and when you consider things GameFreak has done in the past to give us hints at the next games within the previous ones, you can almost garuntee that soaring in ORAS was something they wanted to test out and see if people like it so they know if they really wanted to utilize it in Sun and Moon. Soaring in and of itself could very easily be their gimmick solution to getting around the multiple islands of Alola (since that's pretty much a given that there will be more than one. i mean did you see the size of the one in the trailer) as well as getting to and as well as around Kalos. also i'm feeling the slight possibility, that is if the 3DS hardware can handle it, that we might even be able to go to Hoenn. I mean just think about it, they went through all that trouble to hype up the battle frontier that they say is coming and they haven't done anything about it yet. So i hope that means something although I'm not completely hopeful on Hoenn being in Sun & Moon.

Years
  • Ugh, I feel like this strange souvenir may end up being "Marshadow" since the leaked trademark Japanese names for the starters were true, that means Solgaleo and Lunaala are most likely the names for these legendaries.. but I'm really wondering what they're going to do with this third legendary? Each 3rd legendary is unique to their own, but I didn't really want to see ANOTHER 3rd legend in a new region that's fills, YET ANOTHER Rayquaza-like role.. it's becoming a bit stale with third legendaries having new forms to balance the other two. If this generation has sequels (third versions won't work anymore) it'll piss off ALOT of people since many were hoping that could apply to 6th Gen (mainly Kalos), since it's in need of a sequel to redeem itself..

I don't know how they will hype up Zygarde if it's not in these games, and have to wait another generation to link Kalos up. It's pretty bad marketing to hype these forms so early, only to have people forget about them if they don't show up in the upcoming games in a NEW GENERATION. We still don't have official artwork of any of these forms, and all of the events for Zygarde so far aren't shiny, nor have the Thousands move. So something tells me it'll have an important role most likely in the post-game of sun and moon.

If Couriway city's train rail might not work,maybe travel via boat to Coumarine City port?

I envisioned the Zygarde plot to be a thing if we were going back to Kalos. I'm not sure what they can do, but I thought of it like this:Maybe Sycamore will give you a core, with the mission in collecting all other cells lying around in caves, bushes,trees, etc in Kalos using a special device that lets you see the cells, since in real life you can't really see cells by the naked eye. And maybe TF( under Malva's control) will have the other core. Basically, it's your job to take care of this core from any threat, but develop a bond to it. While imo, walking pokemon probably won't happen due to creating over 700 3D models not used for battling can take much space, but have the ability to walk with the 10% form. Getting all the cells and other core can be a challenge in getting the Complete form, so you'll have to search high and low all over Kalos to look for them. And a mechanic for the 50% form transforming into the Complete form stems from the idea of the Complete form's description: It only enters this form if the core sees that the 50% can't deal with the opponent. And as seen in Pokemon Tretta (an arcade game in Japan) they have the 50% form to the point where it's HP was well under half that it transformed. This isn't like Mega Evolution, where you control if you want to Mega Evolve your 'mon in battle nor Primal Reversion, where Groudon and Kyogre are automatically in their Primal forms when the battle begins. I'd say this form depends on the health of the 50% form.

Heck,probably the only way in getting a legitimate shiny Zygarde is when you'll keep soft-resetting to get a shiny core from the start. Only the core will be shiny since it'll be impossible to try to get the cells to be shiny

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • Well, if you take a closer look to the trailer, the boy is going to live in Hawaii. What if the protagonist is actually from Kalos and he is going to start his adventure in Alola? I can see the protagonist returning to Kalos at some point

Years
  • Ok for all of you saying that since Kalos is based on France, and Alola is based on Hawaii that because those two real life locations are nowhere near each other, the two in game regions can't be either. Here's a little thought for you, the game is a piece of fictional material! Just because France and Hawaii are nowhere near each other does not mean anything when you consider that the content in the games is fictional and especially when you consider that the fact that in X&Y the storyline tells us plenty of times of a neighboring region of which Kalos was at war with thousands of years ago! You get that? X&Y tells us through its story that there was indeed a neighboring region just off the shores of Kalos!!! and when you consider things GameFreak has done in the past to give us hints at the next games within the previous ones, you can almost garuntee that soaring in ORAS was something they wanted to test out and see if people like it so they know if they really wanted to utilize it in Sun and Moon. Soaring in and of itself could very easily be their gimmick solution to getting around the multiple islands of Alola (since that's pretty much a given that there will be more than one. i mean did you see the size of the one in the trailer) as well as getting to and as well as around Kalos. also i'm feeling the slight possibility, that is if the 3DS hardware can handle it, that we might even be able to go to Hoenn. I mean just think about it, they went through all that trouble to hype up the battle frontier that they say is coming and they haven't done anything about it yet. So i hope that means something although I'm not completely hopeful on Hoenn being in Sun & Moon.

So looking in the background of the Sundial of Anistar city, you see those small islands which doesn't appear in the official map. Could those be the islands to the new region (which Alola would be in?)

Years
  • I was thinking S/M would definitely be a "sequel generation" to X/Y, much like how gen 2 was to 1.

Not anymore though. . . .lol, and I'm kinda happy about it to. I'm really surprised that this is seeming like it's own, brand new generation, with little to no ties to Kalos (at least, so far). One thing that I found curious is that we have no mention of new mega evolutions at all as well. I know it's wayy to early to make assumptions or anything but this gen is definitely seeming more and more like it's own thing. (aka I have a gut feeling we wont be seeing much new mega's this time around, or they wont start promoting them till closer to launch)

Years
  • I was thinking S/M would definitely be a "sequel generation" to X/Y, much like how gen 2 was to 1.

Not anymore though. . . .lol, and I'm kinda happy about it to. I'm really surprised that this is seeming like it's own, brand new generation, with little to no ties to Kalos (at least, so far). One thing that I found curious is that we have no mention of new mega evolutions at all as well. I know it's wayy to early to make assumptions or anything but this gen is definitely seeming more and more like it's own thing. (aka I have a gut feeling we wont be seeing much new mega's this time around, or they wont start promoting them till closer to launch)

I am so happy the "sequel to Kalos" rumours are finally getting debunked, because I feel like Sun & Moon needed to be able to stand out and having little-to-no-ties to the last region makes me feel more excited about the new region because of the potential new discoveries.

I did notice we had nothing mentioning Megas yet, like you said. But there's the chance Game Freak may be holding off revealing new Megas until later on.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Yes it's a real shame, Kalos has so much potential. One thing that bugs me is that u get that stranger souvenir in XY, when it's clearly referring to Alola. It puts me under the impression that GF weren't planning on making a Z/X2Y2 etc version from the very start.

Do we know for sure that the Strange Souvenir was referring to Aloha, specifically? It could've been, but it also could've been a hint towards a future Z/X2Y2 plotline that never happened. It could've also been another Azure Flute, an item that was intended to be used for some future legendary event that never ended up happening.

The fact that Zygarde even exists in the first place is a pretty good indication that a Kalos Third Version or sequel was in the planning at one point. That's the big reason why GF started doing Box Legendary Trios, after all. They wanted to avoid another Crystal situation where they had to put an nonparallel/unequal "lesser" legendary on the Third Version, so that's why the Box Legendaries from RSE-onwards have all been trios. Rayquaza was made specifically for Emerald, Giratina for Platinum, and Kyurem for B2W2, so it stands to reason that Zygarde was similarly intended to be the mascot of some Third Version or sequel.

I second you, Kalos is getting more and more likely to be left behind without any loose ends wrapped up since Alola is looking to be distant from Kalos, and that means we'll likely only be focusing on the new legendaries and other new plotlines that are introduced.

I know, which is very disappointing. :( This sets a horrible precedent for future games, because what it means is that GF considers these regions and characters to be essentially disposable and nothing more than decoration for what they (presumably) consider to be mainly a battle simulator. They're giving the middle finger to all of the fans who invested themselves into XY and actually cared about Kalos and its story. Not everybody plays these games solely to battle other people, after all.

Game Freak never officially stated on what Zygarde's fate was, but I presume that they had been planning to make Sun & Moon for the entirety of the period that 6th Gen was out, and if that were the case it means GF have really been spending a lot of time because they wanted 7th Gen to look so beautiful, especially now that everything is full-3D and overworld people are now full-sized.

I can't believe it would've taken them that long to develop Gen 7's graphics and mechanics. Outside of the overworld characters, it doesn't look like a giant leap from Gen 6, IMO.

Ugh, I feel like this strange souvenir may end up being "Marshadow" since the leaked trademark Japanese names for the starters were true, that means Solgaleo and Lunaala are most likely the names for these legendaries.. but I'm really wondering what they're going to do with this third legendary? Each 3rd legendary is unique to their own, but I didn't really want to see ANOTHER 3rd legend in a new region that's fills, YET ANOTHER Rayquaza-like role.. it's becoming a bit stale with third legendaries having new forms to balance the other two. If this generation has sequels (third versions won't work anymore) it'll piss off ALOT of people since many were hoping that could apply to 6th Gen (mainly Kalos), since it's in need of a sequel to redeem itself..

UGGGGGHHHHH.... Please tell me that we're not going to get yet ANOTHER Legendary Trio? I bet Marshadow's going to be another Dragon type, too, isn't it? :rolleyes2:

I'm now wishing more and more that we had gotten a Zygarde game instead of Sun/Moon. Why in the world is GF trying to recycle the Legendary Trio formula YET AGAIN when they didn't even finish the story of the last Legendary Trio?!? This just smacks of laziness, IMO.

Plus, the concept of Sun and Moon/Light and Dark is one that really only works with a duo, anyways. Shoehorning a third legendary in to play a Rayquaza/Giratina/Kyurem/Zygarde role only spoils the symbolism, especially if it's not even going to be the mascot of its own game.

Seriously, GF (or I should probably say, Masuda), quit trying to recycle RSE for the umpteenth time. What might have been "fresh" and "groundbreaking" back in 2002 has become a long-dead horse by 2016. Time to do something different, especially for the supposed "special" Anniversary games. :rolleyes2:

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Do we know for sure that the Strange Souvenir was referring to Aloha, specifically? It could've been, but it also could've been a hint towards a future Z/X2Y2 plotline that never happened. It could've also been another Azure Flute, an item that was intended to be used for some future legendary event that never ended up happening.
    :rolleyes2:

The fact that the Strange Souvenir has a Totem shape indicates that it's related to Alola, atleast that's what I think.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2022
    I think Alola could be near to Kalos, beacuse there are some places in Kalos that apparently have connection with another region.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    The fact that the Strange Souvenir has a Totem shape indicates that it's related to Alola, atleast that's what I think.

As I said, that may be the case, but we just don't know for sure either way. It seems odd that GF would deliberately foreshadow Gen 7 in the Gen 6 games. Has that ever happened in any of the previous games? ~_~

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    As I said, that may be the case, but we just don't know for sure either way. It seems odd that GF would deliberately foreshadow Gen 7 in the Gen 6 games. Has that ever happened in any of the previous games? ~_~

Unless Kalos and Alola connected somehow. Don't forget the reference to the Moondial in Anistar city ;)

Years
  • It's pretty surprising how many people want to draw links to Kalos even though the region is pretty much done and dusted. X and Y quickly became stale, I thought this would be clear after Game Freak did not patch the game to incorporate the new Megas.

Forget Kalos, Alola is where we're heading.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    It's pretty surprising how many people want to draw links to Kalos even though the region is pretty much done and dusted. X and Y quickly became stale, I thought this would be clear after Game Freak did not patch the game to incorporate the new Megas.

Forget Kalos, Alola is where we're heading.

You may have not become invested in XY and the Kalos story, but a lot of fans did, and for GF to essentially tell them, "Forget Kalos, Alola is where we're heading," is basically equivalent to giving them a middle finger.

It's hard to call Kalos "done and dusted" when the story of its Box Legemdaries has been barely told (not even told at all in the case of Zygarde), as well as other plots like AZ's Floette. XY left a TON of loose ends and were clearly meant to have a sequel of some sort. And, they deserve to have one.

GF's main priority may be gameplay/mechanics and competitive battling, but that needs to stop coming at the expense of story. They may view these regions and characters as essentially disposable and interchangeable, only existing to differentiate the games from dedicated battle simulators, but a lot of fans don't, and to show such little respect for the story is to throw a large chunk of the fandom under the bus.

This sets a dangerous precedent for future games. What happened to XY could easily happen to SM down the road, and so on. I fear that one day we're going to wake up and find out that Gen 10 is literally nothing more than a battle simulator.

Back