• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alright, I'm ready for th- Wait, WHAT!

Yukari

Have you ever played a Video game that threw you a curve ball at the end by, I don't know, making the last level a Shoot em Up in a platformer game? Basically when a game breaks away from what it's built on up to that point at the end.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Heavy Rain threw a pretty big curveball right at the end. I was certainly surprised by it!

I can't really think of a game changing its style though. I'm sure there is one, but I can't remember it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Drakengard 3.

For those of you who don't know, Drakengard is a Hack & Slash RPG that plays similarly to Devil May Cry or something of that ilk if it were very loosely crossed with Dynasty Warriors. And the game isn't that hard.

It isn't that hard, until the end. The final boss is like no other boss in the game in that, rather than being an average fight, the game switches to being a Rhythm Game. Now you may think "Well that doesn't seem that bad, you can just get into it as you go, since Rhythm Games are pretty accessible." That would be the logical thought, since that's how Rhythm games work. You don't need to be good at one Rhythm game to get better at another, it's generally a case by case basis, and the boss fight starts out easy so as to ease you into the fight and get a handle on the controls.

So why is this a hard battle, you may ask? Because the rhythm doesn't go with the song and rather than being based on what you can hear, it's more of a visual ride since it's not very cohesive. It becomes about timing rather than keeping up with the rhythm, and this is made worse by the fact that the game's cameraman is apparently drunk and goes absolutely crazy.

And then, to make matters worse, the boss fight tricks you into thinking its over when it isn't by playing dialog while the final beats are coming (and considering the song is pretty long, there are no checkpoints, and you can't mess up even once, it has lead many, MANY players to find workarounds or just watch the ending on Youtube).

GoldfishHorde

Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
    Years
  • Have you ever played a Videogame that threw you a curve ball at the end by, I don't know, making the last level a Shoot em Up in a platformer game? Basically when a game breaks away from what it's built on up to that point at the end.

You mean like in Kirby's Return to Dreamland? Haha, that was great. Interesting enough, Kirby Super Star did something similar at the end of Milky Way, so maybe that was a homage to it?

Anyway, back on topic, this wasn't at the very end of the game, but it was right before the last chapter, so hopefully it counts. The Underchomp from Super Paper Mario was a real laugh. You get to the third Dorguy, expecting another brain game of sorts when suddenly, BAM, Underchomp! You have to fight it, and you're like "Oh yeah, mini-boss! Can't be that bad, just a couple Chain Chomps." and then YOU FIGHT HIM EARTHBOUND STYLE. Like, with hilariously charming dialogue and all. I delayed the battle for as long as I could just to find all of the dialogue my first playthrough. Absolutely hilarious.

Yukari

You mean like in Kirby's Return to Dreamland? Haha, that was great. Interesting enough, Kirby Super Star did something similar at the end of Milky Way, so maybe that was a homage to it?
    Yeah, kinda like that. Though Kirby's Return to Dreamland did it right.

Yukari

That's the game I played for the Kirby Challenge! I love that game...

It's not bad! I actually liked what they did with it - same goes for the final, final boss of Kirby 64. <33
    Yeah, it was very well executed. I mean I've seen it in other games but that was one of the few times that I actually liked it. I also liked phase 1 of the final boss for Kirby's Adventure, even though it too broke away from the standard gameplay.

Can't say anything about the final boss in Kirby 64 though. I've seen it but I've never played that game before. ;~;

Years
  • Uncharted 2. And the entire series for that matter. Always throws in some irrelevant mystical element at the end, makes you fight an unnecessary boss (which has aforementioned mystical element now as some sort of stupid superpower), and then has you running away from a crumbling city. No matter how fantastic those games are, those kinds of endings are kind of really dumb.

Back