• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am i the only one that dislikes Pokemon Past the Second Series?

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    Pokemon was my life. Then all these new pokemon came around with different evolutions and everything.
    I dont think pokemon is just the same. :(

With all these new Pokemon its close to impossible to finish the Pokedex.
    And with all these new sets of cards, A Base Set Charizard card is close to 30 dollars. :(:(

you know what? CHANGE IS GAY!

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I sort of agree with you. The first and second generations of Pokémon will always be the ones I favour because of the class originality of the designs and because the anime was good back in the day.

Change can be good, but for Pokémon, it was pretty much an epic failure.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    Well, Pokemon needs to be changed to keep it alive until now. And to keep money flowing to Nintendo.

If you don't like the newer generations....then no one'll blame you for keep liking the older generations.

Years
    I also prefer the first two generations to the last two.

The first generation was classic, with the original 151 Pokemon. The second introduced the first wave of new Pokemon, so in a way it was a "first" in itself. The third and fourth generations also introduced new Pokemon, but we were kind of expecting this, so they didn't seem as "fresh" as the new Pokemon introduced in the second generation... if you know what I mean...

However, if we didn't keep introducing new Pokemon, Pokemon probably wouldn't be where it is today... if at all. Much as I dislike many of the new Pokemon, they're a major part of the reason Pokemon is still going today. As well, much as I loved FR/LG and would love a G/S/C remake, I don't think Pokemon would have lived if all Nintendo made were remakes.

After the second generation, though, I stopped both watching the anime and collecting the cards... interestingly enough...

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    Pokemon was my life. Then all these new pokemon came around with different evolutions and everything.
    I dont think pokemon is just the same. :(

With all these new Pokemon its close to impossible to finish the Pokedex.
    And with all these new sets of cards, A Base Set Charizard card is close to 30 dollars. :(:(

you know what? CHANGE IS GAY!

Completing the dex is far too easy in DP if you ask me. o_o The biggest problems are past starters/legends and gba-slot pokes and events.

But I agree about TCG. I stopped playing it when I realised that when you get a great deck through alot of trading and buying, new cards are on the way and old ones are not usable after some time. Sux.

Btw: what do you mean with "different evolutions and everything"?

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Some time change sucks but its good at times.
    I kinda' agree with you. Its been a bit harder for trainers & collectors to do so.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    I sort of agree with you. The first and second generations of Pokémon will always be the ones I favour because of the class originality of the designs and because the anime was good back in the day.

Change can be good, but for Pokémon, it was pretty much an epic failure.

Jynx? Mr. Mime? Blissey? Dunsparce? Tangela? There are pretty terrible first/second gen designs too. Besides, without the new Pokemon, we wouldn't have awesome Pokemon like Breloom, Solrock, Spiritomb, and Froslass.

I do agree with the original poster that Pokemon is harder for collectors to keep up with, though.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
    I stopped watching it after the end of the first Johto series. But I was growing up and went off Pokémon for a few years. Past few years i've got back into the anime and caught up with the Johto episodes I missed and forced mself to watch the Hoenn regions and Battle Frontier, which was alright. But that's where it declined for me. I still quite enjoyed the DP games, but i've just lost that buzz that I used to have. Most likely because we've all matured and don't get to excited about a new Pokémon.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Change is key, if there was no change then the new game would not be as great as they are.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I dont acually agree much. Pokemon in my opinion could have done without hoenn. But then again it was needed to put sinnoh on the ds or else it would have been gay like hoenn. Anyweh no your not the only one but surely one of the few.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Oh, don't worry; you're definitely not alone. :3 I stopped watching the anime around somewhere between the beginning and middle of the Hoenn series. I just didn't really enjoy it at all after Johto. D: If you're talking about the games, well I still play them. Though I DO think they are slowly starting to er... lose there originality on some parts..<<;;

-Neko

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
    You're not alone. I really only like Kanto and a little Jhoto regions myself.

I don't know exactly wy, it's just that there's not enough unique new pokemon anymore.

I like Turtwig!

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Kanto and Johto regions and their pokemon will always be be the best GameFreak came out with. But Generations 3 & 4 do have some redeeming qualities too. Not all of the new pokes suck, some like Metagross, Delcatty and such are good additions even if most of the new one aren't. That being said there will always be a place for Generations I & II in my heart.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I agree, but you really can't like pokemon if you think 493 is too much.151 was too little, and so was 251.
    change isn't "gay", its good and bad at the same time.
    if you can't stand the new pokemon or anything about the new ones, then go play the nostalgic games.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Oh, I completely agree.
    I felt so connected with the first and second generation Pokémon; I could almost list them all in National Dex order.
    The Kanto and Johto Pokémon just felt so much more thought out and were all pretty unique when compared to each other. However, the third and fourth generations just don't seem to give me that same feel of familiarity. Sure, I've seen all 493 Pokémon that Gamefreak have created so far, but sometimes I can't even recall what some of their names are. It just seems to me that there are beginning to be too many Pokémon and they all lack uniqueness.
    (I mean... Look at Pikachu, Plusle, Minun, and Pachirisu. Sure, they have different stats, but look at them; they are essentially the same idea.)

I do suppose these newer generations are needed, however.
    In order to keep the series alive Gamefreak must constantly breathe new life into the games and attract new fans to what has all ready been described as a "cult-following."

I accept the new generations and have even taken a liking to some generation four Pokémon, but the fact still remains that I will always favor the first and second generation far more than any that will ever be created. If not for the reasons I listed above, for the simple feeling of nostalgia.

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    My brother has such a dislike for the 3rd and 4th Generations, he almost gave up playing Pokemon altogether. I tried to reintroduce him to it but won't even touch them...however you give him an old Red Or Blue version and he'll play it happily for a while.

Its strange indeed, as at one point he was nearly as interested in pokemon as I.

Myself I do prefer the first two generations. However the only generation I didn't really like was the third generation. Short of Absol, Zigzagoon/Linoone, Zangoose and Poochyena/Mightyena I don't really like most of the pokemon that were introduced in the 3rd Generation.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    "Steering with them controllers without cords to move Mario around on the Television Set by wailing your arms around? Why I remember when there were only two buttons and a D-pad! Heck, not even the select button was in use! Mario made up my childhood, now there's just too much to complete in the game. Collecting Stars and stuff? Why I remember only them coins! And there was only one mushroom and them fireflowers! There are way too much power-ups nowadays! You never know what they're there for! And there's just too many characters to keep track of! First it was only Peach, Mario, King Koopa and Toad, now there's Yoshi, Wario, Waluigi and that little dinosaur that looks like King Koopa. And well now they call King Koopa "Bowser", that's ridiculous! Besides, Mario is actually named Jumpman, not really Mario! I'm blowing my fuse here right now, I'm so dissapointed on the changes! Change is homosexual!"

:laugh: :laugh:

I also preferred the first 2. And I agree there are some Pokemon that aren't very original. But with so many, it's impossible for them to be TOTALY original with each one (or it would take them YEARS to complete each version as they carefully thought out each and every Pokemon.) And even some of the "unoriginal" ones are still cute.

I no longer like the anime, I watched a little into the Hoenn episodes but I got so sick of the same thing over and over, and I never did like them getting rid of Misty. The TCG is still okay but I can't afford it so I don't bother. But the games, I still enjoy them. And I agree, Pokemon may not even be here or certainly wouldn't be what it is today if new games had not been released.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years

Seriously, this thread appears at least twice a week. How many more times must we argue this one out? It's getting a little tedious. No matter how offten we bound our prefferences off each other, no one is likely to change anyone else's opinion, and there is no tangiable "superiority" of 1st gen over 4th or 3rd. It's all a matter of how much you listen to your sense of nostalgia, and your taste in Pokemon design.

I really wish this thread would stop comming up. They're not achieving anything, really. >>

Back