• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Am I the only one who can't enjoy the 1st and second generation games anymore ?

Are you still able to enjoy playing the older games even the graphics are not as good

• Yes the graphics do not bother me that much. I still enjoy playing the older games

Votes: 124 82.1%
  • No I am not able to enjoy playing the older games because of the graphics

Votes: 27 17.9%

• Total voters

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    To be honest I couldn't care less about graphics, its all about gameplay to me, so had my DS I'd play my Silver more because I really can never be bothered to find any batteries for my GBA.

HeartGoldnSoulSilver

is ready for the remakes.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    I still enjoyed replaying Crystal Version. It passed the time, after that I went to check out my Diamond version (Which I haven't touched for a year) and the graphics look way better, it was like playing it for the first time again.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • The only reasons why I can't go back to the first two generations are because there are no running shoes and I keep losing my save data.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Over the years it has been harder for me to like them for some reason, probably the bad graphics as I am used to DS-like graphics.

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
  • I really don't mind the old graphics. Not at all. :)

The only reason why I can't play my older games is because the battery in my Silver game's died out and Yellow became a glitchy mess.

Years
  • I also can't really get myself back to playing the 1st or 2nd generation games, especially Red and Blue. I agree with the earlier posts that the first games were a little annoying due to the item limit in the bag. I also remember that it was difficult to move pokemon between boxes in the PC. There were also a lot of kinks to work out in the original R/B/Y such as the lack of move deleter and no eggs. It will always be a classic though. With the release of Fire Red and Leaf Green, there really is no reason to go back to Red and Blue except for pure nostalgia. Yellow might be nice because of the slight difference in having a Pikachu following you around and the incorporation of Pikachu's happiness. I thought that some of the images and features of the first games were so basic and totally inferior to the current color and features of the new games like D/P. I did enjoy the cloning glitch in G/S, and it was a nice game to play with its apricorns and unique gym leaders. I liked the G/S/C gym leaders and pokemon league. G/S was a nice game with the introduction of steel and dark type pokemon. However, once Heart Gold and Soul Silver come out, I don't really see myself going back to the original Game Boy games because the remakes are usually updated and better than the original with more features.

I'm sure that my atomic purple Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance are somewhere in my home covered in dust and spider webs. Maybe if I find them I'll go back to playing G/S. As for now, Diamond is enough fun for me with better graphics and more features that I don't really miss R/B/Y or G/S/C.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Hi evryone this is my first post and thred guess i'm killing two birds with one stone lol.

But anyways back to the point of this thread

Recently I have realized something which is the fact that I can't seem to be able to enjoy playing the first two generations anymore.

Don't get me wrong I loved playing my Blue version and My Gold

but when I try play to them after playing my 3rd or 4th generation

the graphics just seem so boring and bland compared to the newer generations

So I guess my question is are you still able to enjoy play the older games even with the lesser graphics, and if you are still able to enjoy them enough to continue playing it, do the graphics hinder your enjoyment of the older games at all
    I'm with you. I can't even play the advance generation anymore! I actually really want to relive the great stories, but the obsoletism of it always gets in the way! That's why remakes are so great.

Lance

I can't enjoy them anymore! Newer games have take'd over my eyes. (Graphical side) and I can't imagine myself without Gardevoir,female one! D:

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I don't think even the mediocre graphics can take away my enjoyment of the old games. The graphics remind me of how it was when I was younger and I love taking that trip down memory lane every now and then. The whole concept of the older games has me won over. They are still a lot of fun, I grew up with them and still play them today. But there are also a lot of people who just need good graphics, one of the many reasons I am very excited for HG/SS. In the meantime, I am preparing by playing the origional G/S and even some B/R/Y

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • I hear you with the Gen I games, but the thing that annoys me more is how limited your bag is. I can still play the games and enjoy them, though. Although there's always FR/LG to do that, since I think they're pretty much the old games repackaged in better graphics.

I honestly prefer G/S/C's graphics over R/S/E's. It could just be me, but I think they look a lot better. I'd replay the Gen II games a fair bit if they could still save. :-/

wizzard

im like glitches and hacks :D
    Years
  • I enjoy the first second and third generation most, i think diamond sucks but i dont know why^^

but second generation is for me the best one.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
  • I'm able to play all of the games with no qualms at all, yes I know the graphics may be more obviously pixellated than it's future bretheren but the graphics shouldn't stop you.

Simply reliving my childhood moments where I used to ignore the cries for me to come down before my dinner got cold and when I first caught Lugia with my second from last Moon ball is more than enough for me.

(I was throwing rocks and empty MacDonalds cartons at it at that point.)

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • I actually went back and played a little bit of my Red version today. I still found it very fun to play, and the graphics honestly aren't THAT bad. I actually like some of the old R/B/Y sprites, but yes I will agree that the back sprites are quite terrible. Though that never stopped me from enjoying it.

Foxnordic

Common trainer
    Years
  • I didn't really like Gen 4 games. I loved Blue version and today i still play it, but i can never bring myself to finishing the game i usually play for about 5 hours and then stop playing. Its fun to revisit my childhood memories starting out with bulbasaur :) I love my silver version and i'm replaying it again now (i hope i don't quit playing) I can't w8 for Heart Gold. I beat ruby version when i first got it but i never finished emerald version. Gen 1 & 2 are the best.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2009
    Actually, I love the old Red, Blue, Yellow and Silver, Gold versions. They were the originals. Although they are a bit nostalgic, which is why I prefer them. I remember when the Christmas I got Red version with a gameboy... I used to lay in my kitchen on the rug next to the oven and play for hours... I miss those days.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    So basically the OP and everyone that agrees with him is wrong. The graphics aren't 'bad', and you're all just being children. Yay for us being better!

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • It's not so much the poor graphics that take away from R/B/Y, but the lack of excitement associated with the extreme familiarity of the adventure, and the lack of all the new and exciting pokémon, moves, and features. That being said, the numerous glitches in the game still provide me a great deal of enjoyment every now and then, and usually when I boot up Red/Blue/Yellow, it's to try out a glitch. :P

Back