• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] An efficient way to change tileset block palettes for Fire Red en masse?

PensivePen

Resident Weavile
Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Hello, very new to romhacking and so looking for help with something I've been struggling to find answers to. I've been editing the overworld tiles for various maps in the game and was wondering if there was a quick way I could change the palette of many different objects at once.

Say, as an example, if I wanted every object in a particular tileset to use pallete 1?

Right now I've been manually changing them block by block in Hex Maniac Advance's editor. This takes quite a few clicks for every tile though so I am hoping there's a more efficient way that I've been overlooking or unable to find. Anything that can help speed up the process would be a big relief, whether it's a different program or some function, tool or menu option I've missed.

I recognize this is probably a niche question since none of the tutorials I've watched have covered anything like this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Hex Maniac Advance does have a python module to write python code to automate menial tasks such as this. In theory the python module can do everything the editor can do... but I'm not sure how you'd begin editing map block/tile data with it. You might want to consider joining HMA's discord and asking Haven directly

Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    There is no built-in function in Hex Maniac Advance to change the palette of many different objects at once. However, there are a few workarounds that you can use to speed up the process.

Use a text editor to edit the map data.
    The map data for Pokémon ROMs is stored in a plain text format. This means that you can use a text editor, such as Notepad or Sublime Text, to edit the map data directly.

To change the palette of an object, you will need to find the object's tile number and palette number in the map data. Once you have found these numbers, you can change them to the desired values.

For example, if you want to change the palette of object 123 to palette 1, you would find the following line in the map data:

You would then change this line to:

This would change the palette of object 123 to palette 1.

Use a scripting language to automate the process.
    If you are familiar with a scripting language, such as Python or Ruby, you can write a script to automate the process of changing the palettes of objects.

The script would need to be able to read the map data, find the tile numbers and palette numbers of objects, and change the palette numbers to the desired values.

Once you have written the script, you can run it to change the palettes of all of the objects in a map.

Use a different ROM hacking tool.
    There are a few other ROM hacking tools available that may have features that make it easier to change the palettes of objects.

For example, the ROM hacking tool NSE has a feature that allows you to change the palette of all of the objects in a map with a single click.

If you are not comfortable using a text editor or writing scripts, you may want to try using a different ROM hacking tool.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back