• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An Interview With: Loki

Loki

x
Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024

An Interview with: Loki

Hi everyone! Loki here—though I'm known as taiwonton everywhere else on the internet.

If you want to see some of my work, here's a link to my gallery: Click Hereee

Sooo a little about me—I'm from the states, but I live in Japan. I'm almost exclusively a digital artist, and I dabble in graphics on the side every now and again. I work with a Wacom Intuos 3 that's going strong on its tenth year right now, and do all the legwork of my art in Paint Tool SAI with touchups in Photoshop CS6.

And I'm a filthy casual who has no intention of ever doing art for a living unless I marry rich and become an even filthier casual by working as a manga assistant here for fun LOL.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: ZKE

ZKE

Not an ounce of maturity.
    Years
  • Just had a look through your gallery again, some impressive stuff in there.

When did you start drawing, and have you ever used pen/pencil and paper or has it always been with your tablet?

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Just had a look through your gallery again, some impressive stuff in there.

When did you start drawing, and have you ever used pen/pencil and paper or has it always been with your tablet?

Thank you! I think everyone starts 'drawing' when they're kids to be honest, so the transition from just doodles on the the back of my homework to seriously drawing full works is kind of blurry for me. But I definitely started with pencil and paper-- I wasn't able to use my tablet by itself until I was well into my last year of high school, and I didn't even start trying to use it until my second year of high school, so the tablet is relatively recent compared to how long I've been drawing.

I started seriously drawing everyday my last year of high school though, so it's been about 5 years since then!

What career do you want to have, if you couldn't be an artist?

Well I'm not an artist-- as I said above, I'm a filthy casual who has no intention of becoming one hahaha... But I'd really like to work in Public Relations or Events Coordination for an international game company like Square Enix. Really gotta.... brush up on my kanji though lol...

Tell me something characteristic about your design style, something you think you're biased to do a in certain way, or something you cannot avoid to do whenever you're creating art :D

Hmm.... I think I have a habit of only shading lighting from the upper right hand corner-- or the upper left. If you look closely at my works, the light source almost never comes from the bottom-- and even in the one piece long ago where I tried really hard to make the light come from the bottom, I kept having to erase and do it over because my head automatically switched back into upper canvas light source mode hahaha

Reactions: ZKE
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    can you teach me how to draw good looking people
    Seriously, your gallery is incredible! I am so jealous of your ability to draw proportional human figures in dynamic poses and all that. :P

What is/was your main art "teacher" (as in videos, books, or maybe even an actual teacher), and where do you think you have learned the most about drawing? What influences your art style the most?

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    can you teach me how to draw good looking people
    Seriously, your gallery is incredible! I am so jealous of your ability to draw proportional human figures in dynamic poses and all that. :P

What is/was your main art "teacher" (as in videos, books, or maybe even an actual teacher), and where do you think you have learned the most about drawing? What influences your art style the most?

LOL I'M STILL WORKING ON IT MYSELF-- wishes I could make some of those really intensely beautiful people like some Korean artists////

Thank you so much though-- it's a lot of trial and error and practice hahaha...
    My main art "teacher" was just a few vague tutorials/studies on deviantart, and paying attention to where lines go and how they're drawn when I'm reading manga. But to be honest, I learned the most from my friends- and they're also what influences my art the most these days. I have a huge community of artist friends on dA and almost all of them are a thousand times more skilled than I am-- so I just look at their art, watch their live streams, and learn from what they do a lot of the time. I'm always being pushed to try my limits and improve so I can catch up to artists like ae-rie, faithom, and pikakus who are three of my closest friends and all very good at what they do!

Before I built up that network though, I was a huge fan of D.Gray-man, Katekyo Reborn, BLEACH, and Miwa Shirow's art styles-- and you can still see those influences even now, I think!

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • Hey Loki, I've come with questions for you \o/
    They're pretty heavy though, I have to say, so I decided to limit myself to four, haha.

How has your practice changed over time? I'm curious to see what kind of developments that you personally see in your work :-]

What kind of art do you most identify with? And does that type/style of art contain themes you pursue now or possibly hope to pursue in the future?

Is there anything you dislike about your work, or possibly the art world?
    I know, I know, it's better to spread positivity, lol, but people are often the harshest critics of themselves... which is why I asked that question; the drawer always sees something that the viewer doesn't ;-]

What's the best piece of advice you've been given?

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hey Loki, I've come with questions for you \o/
    They're pretty heavy though, I have to say, so I decided to limit myself to four, haha.

Myysttt!! Thanks for your questions!! They're all super deep and I'm afraid I'm just a potato who doesn't put much thought into what I do so I'm not sure if I answered your questions correctly, but I gave it a shot!

Also totally fine-- I love criticizing my own art, really keeps you on your toes and makes you pay attention to what you're lacking! Haha

How has your practice changed over time? I'm curious to see what kind of developments that you personally see in your work :-]

Practice as in... practicing, or my process? Cause in terms of how I practice art, it hasn't changed much which is a problem in and of itself because I tend to not do any loose drawing which is a huge crutch when it comes to drawing haha! Almost everything I do tends to end up finished, which means I have a much smaller output than my friends do.

But as for my process- I've definitely started clamping down on layers. I think it's perfectly fine to have a million layers, but I used to have the problem of having SO many that I couldn't find anything anymore! I'm more flexible with painting over stuff now, so that's definitely a huge change, because now my colors also blend a lot more easily since they're all on the same layer. Making baby steps towards improving my colors;;;

What kind of art do you most identify with? And does that type/style of art contain themes you pursue now or possibly hope to pursue in the future?

Manga/anime styles for sure haha-- Especially either semi-realistic styles a la Final Fantasy, or really hard stylized works with thick lines and sharp blacks like Miwa Shirow's. I'm usually trying to achieve something in the middle between those extremes, so I love those kinds the most. As for themes I'd like to pursue in the future... I dunno- I don't usually think of themes in my art mostly because I don't usually draw to send a message, I draw characters for myself and for my friends. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this question as well? LOL I'm really just a complete hobbyist so I don't think too deeply into my stuff.

Is there anything you dislike about your work, or possibly the art world?

I've mentioned it before, but I hate my colors!! Hahaha I feel like color and light is such an important way to convey the true potential of your art, but I just have 0 conception of color theory and lighting. I just can't wrap my head around it, so everything I do is guesswork- whether it's anatomy, colors, muscles-- I'd really like some confidence in fundamentals so that every drawing isn't like climbing a freaking mountain without any equipment.

As for the art world, I have always disliked art majors/schools- though that's generalizing the statement too much so let me explain: It's something I've been aware of since I was a kid which is why I didn't go to art school myself, but I think it's just so... regrettable that some people can go through 4 years of expensive schooling only to come out with art that's not even on par with high schoolers. It's just such a shame that these schools are deluding their students-- and the students deluding themselves, into thinking that they'll ever have a chance in the industry when they're so subpar. Art majors and art school are great for the people who have the work ethic, the talent, and the right mindset-- but I have a few friends who I'm just like how can you not recognize that this isn't a field or industry in which you can do the bare minimum and expect to succeed? It just baffles me how much money and time they're wasting when they're clearly not passionate enough to survive. @___@

What's the best piece of advice you've been given?

Given? Hmm... I guess I wouldn't call it 'advice', but rather scathing criticism. A long time ago I knew someone who was notoriously rude and after posting a drawing I was rather pleased with, she replied, "What's wrong with his face- his eye looks like it's melting off of his face." (Lets say she said it more colorfully than that.) And then she proceeded to post a bunch of pictures about facial anatomy and mocked my drawing by redrawing it in her style where it looked like the eye was sticking out of the lower cheek area-- and I was SO pissed off for about 6 hours before I realized that she was damn right. It wasn't phrased or conveyed very nicely, but I've definitely not had that problem ever since haha...

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • Myysttt!! Thanks for your questions!! They're all super deep and I'm afraid I'm just a potato who doesn't put much thought into what I do so I'm not sure if I answered your questions correctly, but I gave it a shot!

Ahaha, I actually intentionally left the questions a bit vague so you'd be free to interpret them in whatever way felt best to you.... but looking back on it, I really should've mentioned that in my post xD;;
    Your answers were a great read though!! Thank you <3

((Your thoughts on art majors/schools were especially interesting to read; I'd have to say I'd agree with you now!
    The eye story was also hella funny, I honestly can't believe something like that happened! lmao))

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Well I came here and saw your interview. Gratz for having that :3.

I'm totally not an artist ( they still call me that I dun know why), I just put drawing as my hobby. But I would like to go for some small exploration about art knowledge!

Do you sometimes draw scenes ?

What do you feel about your first time drawing?

Do you still going for traditional drawings

if someone wants to draw (anything), what is your advice to make the drawing better

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Ahaha, I actually intentionally left the questions a bit vague so you'd be free to interpret them in whatever way felt best to you.... but looking back on it, I really should've mentioned that in my post xD;;
    Your answers were a great read though!! Thank you <3

((Your thoughts on art majors/schools were especially interesting to read; I'd have to say I'd agree with you now!
    The eye story was also hella funny, I honestly can't believe something like that happened! lmao))

It's just very frustrating to see the complete lack of self-awareness some people have-- but yeah might be exacerbated by the fact that my university's art department was pretty trashy LOL.

OMG I know right- I still can't believe that girl- she managed to scar me for life for better or worse hahahaha

Well I came here and saw your interview. Gratz for having that :3.

I'm totally not an artist ( they still call me that I dun know why), I just put drawing as my hobby. But I would like to go for some small exploration about art knowledge!

I'm just a hobbyist as well, so we're on the same playing field!!

Do you sometimes draw scenes ?
    I have tried again and again-- I always get about halfway and then I give up because I just don't have the patience to add the level of detail that I want. Plus, the thing about landscapes (which is what I assume you mean by scenes) is that it's not like humans. Like, with humans the body may tweak it's shape a little from person to person but the general anatomy will always be the same. But figuring out the texture/shape of plants and buildings, the different variations that make a building attractive, the way color changes between the foreground and the background and just all those things make landscapes so much harder than drawing people IMO!

What do you feel about your first time drawing?
    First time drawing.................. I don't... remember since I've been drawing since before I can remember haha- my earliest recollection of drawing was in 3rd grade when I drew my teacher, who was a bit.... pudgy... and I drew a picture of her that was a little too unforgivingly accurate to the point where she was extremely amused and showed my very embarrassed mother who apologized for my 8-year-old, brutally honest self.

Do you still going for traditional drawings
    Umm, sometimes. I draw when I'm at work and stuff, but I have this problem where I'm so used to drawing with an upright computer screen that I don't adjust my perspective for when I'm working over a flat desk. So all my traditional work ends up really skewed because of the angle I'm at while working on it. I don't really enjoy traditional drawing myself, it's just raw suffering to me and eraser marks drive me nuts.

if someone wants to draw (anything), what is your advice to make the drawing better
    My advice is to look at a reference and learn from it while you're drawing. I have a habit of not looking at pictures of real stuff when I'm struggling, but it really does make a huge difference! For example I tried drawing a deer for the first time the other day and it really helped to have like 5 different tabs of deer image searches pulled up to help me figure out what went where. Especially on the nose area!

Thanks for the questions killer!

Back